The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 13, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #1,366 of 18,652
Glad the thread is back on track.  
smily_headphones1.gif

I ignored my own advise to wait and did the update last evening.  Some findings after spending some time with 1.1.5:

1. Update went smoothly.  I believe someone already pointed out we need to do that Factory Reset thing AFTER the update is completed (Step #4 in the readme.txt) which seems to be a crucial steps.
2. I didn't notice any SQ changes.  I specifically listened to a couple very familiar track before and after (the update took maybe 2 mins max) but I cannot discern any difference.
3. the ' issue on filename is NOT fixed.  Not sure about other characters. *
4. 24/192 files play at half speed and is not usable
5. Via coaxial, 24/96 is now working, 24/192 have sound but the same half speed playback, 24/88 still no output, 24/48 works as prior to update.  Do not have 24/176 file to test but probably don't work.
6. Compilations album got split into multiple and results in a super long/clumsy Album view
7. Thumbnail of cover art is now showing on Album view**
8. Genre view is added and works**
9. DB scanning time on a full 64gb class 10 Sandisk micro SD improves from 12min with 1.0 to about 9min with 1.1.5
10. Can continue to Play all tracks in All Music view**
11. No channel reverse thus far *
12. No system freeze thus far 

* items listed as bugs fixed with 1.1.5
** items listed as functions added with 1.1.5

Personally it doesn't fix much or break much things for my normal usage.  I would be more pissed if I listen to exclusively 192 files.  Emailed iBasso and they are urgently trying to push out another patch next Tuesday.  

Overall I still AMAZED by this little DAP's sound after a week.  It has excellent synergy with all my IEMs, and paired extremely well with the International, SR71B, Intruder, and MASS KOBO 385 I tried.   

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #1,367 of 18,652
Yes, the apostrophe issue is still there, or it has problems reading accented characters.

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #1,368 of 18,652
I have been reading this thread from the beginning.

There are a few reviews/impressions collected on the first page, but many others have been buried within the thread amongst `my DX50 is in the mail` posts etc.

I would like to know more about DX50 compared to other recent daps such as AK100 and Fiio X3 -even ipods(and others even above the price range 901, ak120 etc).
I have read those impressions here and there but as mentioned they are so buried it is hard to find them.

I would esp like to hear again from members Kkcc, spkrs01.

Thank you.

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #1,369 of 18,652
It sounds like the UI will get sorted out in the next few weeks or so. For those who've had the J3 and the DX50 - is the DX50 a no-brainer (assuming all the bugs will be taken care of) when you compare the sound quality of the two?

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #1,370 of 18,652
  I would like to know more about DX50 compared to other recent daps such as AK100 and Fiio X3 -even ipods(and others even above the price range 901, ak120 etc).
I have read those impressions here and there but as mentioned they are so buried it is hard to find them.

FYI:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/681478/comparison-fiio-x3-vs-ibasso-dx50

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #1,372 of 18,652
So, the people who noticed the sound change, would you guys say the overall sig went from borderline analytical to a more mellow neutral? Also, was any micro detail sacrificed with this update? According to tracking my unit just hit Vancouver this afternoon so I should have my DX50 sometime early this coming week. I'm wondering if maybe it's best to just stick with the current factory installed FW and wait it out until the next patch is released. I don't think it's possible to revert to FW 1.0.0 after the update is done, is it?

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #1,373 of 18,652
  It sounds like the UI will get sorted out in the next few weeks or so. For those who've had the J3 and the DX50 - is the DX50 a no-brainer (assuming all the bugs will be taken care of) when you compare the sound quality of the two?

What's wrong with the UI? 

All my files are ALAC (some even in Japanese language) but I don't have a single issue with the UI.

Running v1.1.5 btw..

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #1,374 of 18,652

- wouldn't it be the easiest if someone actually measured the capabilities of both DAPS to end these arguments on which has stronger AMP section>?

Voldemort's Law - Every Head-Fi thread will eventually end up containing talk of measurements. 

(sorry, I couldn't resist!) 
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #1,375 of 18,652

All my files are ALAC (some even in Japanese language) but I don't have a single issue with the UI.

Running v1.1.5 btw..

A lot of people are still having issues; the UI is still in its infancy.

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #1,376 of 18,652
The 3rd batch DX50 is updated to V1.15.

Listen a few song and the SQ is much better than my old Cowon J3.

Just insert my 32G SD card from J3 to DX50, my 1st problem is that some music in "Album" of "My Music" is broken down into individual album. It is so weird that there is no problem in J3.

And the touch screen is no sensitive (or I got a bad finger) in scrolling the screen and selecting the folder. Anyway, it is still acceptable.

Anyway, I hope it is my best deal in this year.

http://i.imgur.com/MRSsltB.jpg

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #1,377 of 18,652
  So, the people who noticed the sound change, would you guys say the overall sig went from borderline analytical to a more mellow neutral? Also, was any micro detail sacrificed with this update? According to tracking my unit just hit Vancouver this afternoon so I should have my DX50 sometime early this coming week. I'm wondering if maybe it's best to just stick with the current factory installed FW and wait it out until the next patch is released. I don't think it's possible to revert to FW 1.0.0 after the update is done, is it?

Personally, I found it more dynamically expressive after the update......

You will love the DX50 with your wonderful array of portable amps but best of all, the DX50 is a very very listenable as a standalone DAP....growing on me day by day
wink_face.gif

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #1,378 of 18,652

I have been reading this thread from the beginning.

There are a few reviews/impressions collected on the first page, but many others have been buried within the thread amongst `my DX50 is in the mail` posts etc.

I would esp like to hear again from members Kkcc, spkrs01.

Thank you.

PM you over the weekend ............

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #1,379 of 18,652

Running v1.1.5 btw..

I concur, and I feel most DX100 owners, ex or current, shouldn't really have problems with tags and the UI, as it was a hard task initially on the DX100 and especially with cover art..............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back