The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Oct 22, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #18,421 of 18,652
Today i wanted to verify the sound differnces between DX50, DX90 and Chord Mojo.
I used my beloved AKG K3003 and played the HDtrack from Macy Gray called "Stripped" in 24-192
The Mojo was connected to LG G4 with OTG USB playing bitperfect with USB Audio Player Pro.

I may not post my findings in the big mojo thread, but the mojo doesn't present the sub bass of the track "Slowly" - it was definitely not existent.
Both DX50 and DX90 generated a deep well pronounced sub bass timbre.
In Comparison to DX90 with Sabre DAC i prefer with Hybrids the more energetic and less analytic DAC WM8740 of DX50.
The DX50 is still 3 years on the market and in the meantime out of production - but with the last firmware from ibasso it sings like a charm.
Don't believe that the newer DAP competitors are really better - they sound in a different way.
I tried in the past a lot of DAPs, but my alltime favorite is still the DX50.
Especially the synergy with hybrid IEMs is fantastic.  

Oct 23, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #18,422 of 18,652
@Trebor1966 , You should try some hardware modifications on Your DX50 also, It amazes me how great SQ DX50 can actually put out "on table" 
tongue.gif
 Wont be getting any new DAP before my DX5X gives up on me... but it doesn`t seem to end.

Nov 2, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #18,423 of 18,652

can the player it self format the card correctly or do i need to do this on a pc?  And does fat32 even apply to a 64 gig card.  Im new to dap's.  Still learning.
musicguy

We may be discussing this for a while... Ha ha.
With regards to DX50.  Unless someone definitively says YOU MUST FORMAT to FAT32, here is my suggestion.

exFAT:  Try your 64G uSD card in exFAT first
Download the format tool from SD Association and do a full format.  Any full format will take a while, but will remove any funky sector formatting and make it good to go.  I THINK that exFAT fixes any kind of sorting issues, and should be ok.
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/index.html

Note:.  I used exFAT for a while.  I THINK the DX50 is OK with it.  If you do have issues.  Stuttering, or anything.  Then you can certainly format to FAT32.  I have used 64G exFAT cards, AND I have anew 128G FAT32 card.  Both have been ok for me.

FAT32:  IF you need to format to FAT32... Windows tool and the SD Association tool WILL NOT allow you to select FAT32. (For a 64G uSD card.)
To format to FAT32, download this tool from Ridgecrop Consultants.  It is a very good 3rd party formatting tool that will allow you to select FAT32.
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

Sorting:  You MAY have sorting problems when using FAT32.  (This is my opinion, but I THINK it is true.)  Files may not show up in alphabetical order when using FAT32.  They MAY show up in the order you copied them over.  Or some other strange sorting problem.  If that happens use DriveSort program.  TechMadePlain link has a copy of the tool, and a good description on how to set it up.
http://techmadeplain.com/2014/how-to-sort-music-flash-drive-car-stereo/

I have just been dealing with FAT32 and 64G uSD cards for the FiiO M3 dap.  (you can check out the FiiO M3 thread discussions if you want.)  The Ridgecrop and DriveSort definitely work.  I suggest downloading all 3 of the above programs and have them handy for all your electronics pleasure.  (I understand the Nintendo 3DS may like Fat32.  Maybe the GoPro too.)

Hit me with questions.  I'll help if I can.

Edit:  Added clarification (For a 64G uSD...) to windows and SD association comment .

Any idea what the difference between full (erase) and full (overwrite) is? I read the user manual, but it is confusing. I'm doing full (erase) right now.

Nov 2, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #18,424 of 18,652
Any idea what the difference between full (erase) and full (overwrite) is? I read the user manual, but it is confusing. I'm doing full (erase) right now.

This is purely an educated guess...  I would expect that full erase will erase everything that has data on the card but leave blank sectors alone.  I would expect full overwrite to overwrite all sectors regardless of data.  If I'm formatting first time, I would do a full overwrite.    Again.  Just a guess.  Don't flame me if I'm wrong.  I'm not a programmer, and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

Nov 2, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #18,425 of 18,652
"Erase" removes the indexing data from the drive's partition table.  This leaves the data there, but removes the index that the computer uses to find it.  The data can still be retrieved unless other data has been written on top of it.

"Overwrite" writes 0's to each data cell on the drive, eliminating the possibility of retrieval. This takes longer, causes a lot of heat build-up, and of course removes a write cycle from the overall life span of the memory.

Nov 4, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #18,426 of 18,652

This is purely an educated guess...  I would expect that full erase will erase everything that has data on the card but leave blank sectors alone.  I would expect full overwrite to overwrite all sectors regardless of data.  If I'm formatting first time, I would do a full overwrite.    Again.  Just a guess.  Don't flame me if I'm wrong.  I'm not a programmer, and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

"Erase" removes the indexing data from the drive's partition table.  This leaves the data there, but removes the index that the computer uses to find it.  The data can still be retrieved unless other data has been written on top of it.

"Overwrite" writes 0's to each data cell on the drive, eliminating the possibility of retrieval. This takes longer, causes a lot of heat build-up, and of course removes a write cycle from the overall life span of the memory.

I appreciate the replies. I get it now :)

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #18,428 of 18,652
Using DX50 as DAC with PC  You should be able to output coax. Without drivers and using as DAC probably won`t work.

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #18,432 of 18,652

I did, but nothing special in sound quality, for me direct with headphone out is better. Fyi my dx50 is modded with blackgate caps. If you want to stack with mojo, better get AK series with usb out, it will sounds great

Thank you for your info, I'll keep that in mind...So I should get the any AK series first...hmmmm ok money...

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #18,434 of 18,652
I uninstalled it after my playlists were deleted a few times. That didn't at all with previous fw updates.

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #18,435 of 18,652

That..... is not bad

I am looking for a very short coax cable to replace the original cable included with the DX50. I found two online (Amazon) & another one from China currently selling on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222037087061

E06 (0.3m 1ft) --- Digital Coaxial 75Ω 3.5mm TS to RCA Audio Cable Canare LV-61S

s-l500.jpg

I never received a response from Ibasso & welcome links to other sources. TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back