The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Aug 6, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #17,688 of 18,652
the 0 to 256 volume steps is logarithmic in scale (notice that 256 is a power of 2, therefore exponential/logarithmic).  The volume increments are slow to begin with, but increase exponentially the higher you go up the scale towards 256.  That is why you will notice a greater difference in volume between steps as you get above 200, as that is the steep part of the exponential graph.

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #17,689 of 18,652

Thanks H20!!!

Glad you brought this up in reference to the cards.  I format my 64gb cards to FAT32 to use them in my Sansas.  Haven't put a 64gb one in the DX50 in a while though.  Gotta check it.

On another note, do you guys format the cards in the player or on PC?  I use PC but read some folks do it on several players.

Cheers!

I usually format them using a card reader in Windows, though this last card mentioned was formatted using FiiO X1 in player formatter. (FAT32). I need to tinker more with other 64gb cards to fully confirm my issue using FAT32 with 64gb card. But I can tell you 64gb at exFat as never given me any issues with DX50.

Aug 7, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #17,691 of 18,652

On another note, do you guys format the cards in the player or on PC?  I use PC but read some folks do it on several players.

So far have used PC and this FW mostly (other great ones also out there): https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/eula_windows/SDFormatterv4.zip

Aug 7, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #17,692 of 18,652
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/679473/the-ibasso-dx50-thread-latest-firmware-1-9-3-july-2-2015/17670#post_11815437 layout=inline] [/CONTENTEMBED]

So far have used PC and this FW mostly (other great ones also out there): https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/eula_windows/SDFormatterv4.zip

Since Windows can do this natively, are there any substantial benefits of using this software instead?

Aug 7, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #17,693 of 18,652
Depends what OS You use, there can be problems formatting larger than 32GB cards to FAT/FAT32 if needed. This is where third party sw comes in (guiformat & rufus for example).
Though SD Association FW doesn`t do that, it is recommended over OS native formatter. Read here: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html

Aug 7, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #17,694 of 18,652
Thanks CoiL, will give that one a try.  I have used guiformat and SD Formatter.

The SDXC cards work great in the DX50 but I reformat to FAT32 to be able to use them in Sansas as well.  Sansas don't do exFat.

Thanks again

Cheers!

EDIT:  In reference to formatting cards in the player, I read (not sure if it was in this thread) that many folks format that way.  That's the reason I asked since, IMO it is easier I guess to do it on PC.  Then just plug the card to listen to music.

Aug 8, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #17,695 of 18,652
Hi can anybody tell me that in the firmware v1.9.3 upgrade the 3rd thing is about the Support 32bit/384kHz music in truncation to 24bit/192kHz so what does it mean?
Is the ibasso supports 32bit/384khz but only plays it in 24 bit/192khz quality or what? 
and also is it worth the upgrade cause now i am using SU 1.4.0.

Aug 9, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #17,697 of 18,652

Is that what the gain does? I've been on the low gain cause I was afraid it'd just distort music haha. Maybe I should bump it up to med.

Although I normally run med gain on my DX50 for everyday use, I found myself wanting to preserve as much battery life as possible when I was on an international trip for 2 weeks.

As a result, I occasionally put the device on low gain in an attempt to conserve power, but does this actually increase battery life? I'm not exactly an expert on electrical things like this.

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #17,698 of 18,652

Although I normally run med gain on my DX50 for everyday use, I found myself wanting to preserve as much battery life as possible when I was on an international trip for 2 weeks.

As a result, I occasionally put the device on low gain in an attempt to conserve power, but does this actually increase battery life? I'm not exactly an expert on electrical things like this.

If you run the DX50 at 220 don't expect to double the run time by dropping the volume to 110. As pointed out earlier in this thread the volume follows a logarithmic curve. I don't know the gain values off the top of my head, but I suspect it won't make a noticeable dent in the run time. Mine runs on full gain all the time, because I notice the sound signature is ever so slightly more V shaped than on middle. Low gain sounds pretty flat to me.

Cheers.

Aug 10, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #17,699 of 18,652
Interesting, thanks for the help.

I've always wondered whether upping the gain was altering the sound quality or just raising the volume. I'll have to try max gain now and see where it takes me.

Aug 10, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #17,700 of 18,652
Well it's certainly louder than any ipod I've ever owned. My rockboxed 160GB was really quiet. The only way to get it any louder, was to raise the compression to the point where you could barely make out any of the instruments. Then again by default, that ipod's stock compression was terribad. At least this one can be loud without any compression.

Also it's kinda quiet through my Kenwood's AUX. My speakers are really loud with a CD, so I'm not sure if it's the brand of cable that I'm using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back