The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jun 3, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #17,206 of 18,652
Has someone tried or reported some results using the DX50 with HiFiman HE-500 or Audeze LCD-2, or Audeze EL-8 openback? It is interesting weather it can drive some of these three up to their capacity.

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #17,207 of 18,652
Has someone tried or reported some results using the DX50 with HiFiman HE-500 or Audeze LCD-2, or Audeze EL-8 openback? It is interesting weather it can drive some of these three up to their capacity.

Well, not on those you mentioned but with my beyer T1, on high gain 255/255, I think the loudness is pretty good enough for my satisfaction. Perhaps I'd like 10% more headroom but I am happy with it. I'm thinking of stacking a Cayin C5 with it though.

Jun 3, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #17,208 of 18,652
Well, not on those you mentioned but with my beyer T1, on high gain 255/255, I think the loudness is pretty good enough for my satisfaction. Perhaps I'd like 10% more headroom but I am happy with it. I'm thinking of stacking a Cayin C5 with it though.

Thanks - and great headphones! How do they couple with the DX50?? It must be quite good.

I just can't imagine what more can I ask from the studio monitors that I use, but sometimes I want not-so-studio and more audiophile/signature/colored listening and I am planning to get a planar design with good mids(HE-500 or LCD-2F) for that. I hope someone has tried some of these phones with the DX50!

Jun 3, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #17,209 of 18,652
Thanks - and great headphones! How do they couple with the DX50?? It must be quite good.

I just can't imagine what more can I ask from the studio monitors that I use, but sometimes I want not-so-studio and more audiophile/signature/colored listening and I am planning to get a planar design with good mids(HE-500 or LCD-2F) for that. I hope someone has tried some of these phones with the DX50!

I think they do expose all that the DX 50 has to offer. It was very musical and fun to listen to. Used to rock to metallica, taylor swift and modern pop with them. I do think that with an amp from the Line Out, there is a slight tightening of the bass and IMO instrumental separation and sound stage is better.

Not that it stops me from using the DX 50 -> T1 directly anyway.

Note though that on oldies recorded at lower volumes, the pairing might be a bit soft, but stick with modern recordings and I was fine. Thanks to loudness war, I suppose?

Jun 3, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #17,210 of 18,652
Hey! I've got a question, please help. I recently purchased this cable:

A 3.5 mm to 6.3 mm cable "extension". The idea was to get an angle 3.5 plug to use instead of the big connector that comes with my M50x, which produces a huge torque over my DX50 phone out (I don´t want to break it!). First thing I search for was an angle Adapter or an angle plug 3.5 to 3.5 cable (male to female) but I could´t find any of them anywhere (physical stores).  So I figured "I´ll just buy this one and use it with the 3.5 to 6.3 adapter that comes with the M50x". Both of very good quality, so I assumed the sound would be the same. Well, I was wrong, cause the sound quality is really bad! The funny part is that I tried a much cheaper way before this, using a AUX cable (with much smaller plugs) and a double female 3.5 adapter. Not very pretty but it didn´t affect the sound quality, at least not like this new (and more expensive) cable.

So, What should I do? Is there a better solution so I can keep the SQ and decrease the torque of the original cable? I can't replace it cause of the propietary lock system and I don´t really know why this -not cheap- cable works so bad. Or maybe is just the volume what changed and not quality?. That´s hard to believe after what I could listen.

Thanks!

Jun 4, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #17,211 of 18,652
News for DX50 HW modders!

Quote:

guys, stop it... You make me think about changing amp also -.-

Although, I already enjoy my DX50 sound very much and find nothing lacking with my gear after caps+ SU 1.3.3.

But If I`m going to upgrade amp, then it`s good excuse to put in some oxicaps too, finally ;D

Wait before putting Oxicap... I am just finishing some extensive testing with various Caps, and I plan to put a review soon in DX50 MODs forum

babs new capacitor testing review is out: http://www.head-fi.org/t/720776/ibasso-dx50-mods/210#post_11660456

Jun 4, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #17,212 of 18,652

A 3.5 mm to 6.3 mm cable "extension". The idea was to get an angle 3.5 plug to use instead of the big connector that comes with my M50x, which produces a huge torque over my DX50 phone out (I don´t want to break it!). First thing I search for was an angle Adapter or an angle plug 3.5 to 3.5 cable (male to female) but I could´t find any of them anywhere (physical stores).  So I figured "I´ll just buy this one and use it with the 3.5 to 6.3 adapter that comes with the M50x". Both of very good quality, so I assumed the sound would be the same. Well, I was wrong, cause the sound quality is really bad! The funny part is that I tried a much cheaper way before this, using a AUX cable (with much smaller plugs) and a double female 3.5 adapter. Not very pretty but it didn´t affect the sound quality, at least not like this new (and more expensive) cable.

So, What should I do? Is there a better solution so I can keep the SQ and decrease the torque of the original cable? I can't replace it cause of the propietary lock system and I don´t really know why this -not cheap- cable works so bad. Or maybe is just the volume what changed and not quality?. That´s hard to believe after what I could listen.

Thanks!

Hi! I am using the Beyerdynamic T1 with the DX 50 High Gain Headphone Out, and I use a Grado 6.3mm to 3.5mm extension jack without issues so far.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grado-Adaptor-Cable-6-3mm-Length/dp/B0038PAYTQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433403477&sr=8-1&keywords=grado+6%22

About 3.5mm to 3.5mm; I haven't had the need to use those; for my DT 770, HD 600, etc.

Jun 4, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #17,213 of 18,652
Jun 4, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #17,214 of 18,652
  Hi! I am using the Beyerdynamic T1 with the DX 50 High Gain Headphone Out, and I use a Grado 6.3mm to 3.5mm extension jack without issues so far.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grado-Adaptor-Cable-6-3mm-Length/dp/B0038PAYTQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433403477&sr=8-1&keywords=grado+6%22

About 3.5mm to 3.5mm; I haven't had the need to use those; for my DT 770, HD 600, etc.

Thanks man! I tried High Gain but only increses the volume. I realized now that the extension erases? some instruments and voices very dramatically (like when you listen to stereo, but only hear the music from one side). But when I slighly remove the jack (halfway) I get stereo again. The Grado adapter looks fine but has a similar jack than my M50x.

Well, money wasted. I hope I can find a solution. Thanks and sorry for my bad english.

Jun 4, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #17,215 of 18,652

Thanks!

I've got it! Helped by this thread:

http://music.stackexchange.com/questions/24325/iem-3-5-and-6-35-jacks-only-get-left-ear-when-plugged-fully-in

Somebody wrote" If you are hearing only one side, and then get both sides when you pull it part way out, that is a sign that something in your chain is mono and not stereostereo". Hence I realized the 6.3 adapter that comes with the M50x (apparently) doesn't work properly with the short 1.2m cable (idk why, very strange) So I used the coiled cable and voilà! And just to be sure I also tried another 6.3 adapter with the short cable and it also works :wink:

Jun 5, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #17,216 of 18,652
  Thanks man! I tried High Gain but only increses the volume. I realized now that the extension erases? some instruments and voices very dramatically (like when you listen to stereo, but only hear the music from one side). But when I slighly remove the jack (halfway) I get stereo again. The Grado adapter looks fine but has a similar jack than my M50x.

Well, money wasted. I hope I can find a solution. Thanks and sorry for my bad english.

Hey! Do you mean that the Grado jack causes loss in instruments as well? That's all I have been using my T1 with since  got them. 
I did test them with the 6.35mm jack originally with other amps and I don't think I found any differences so to speak, (with or without the Grado adapter).

IIRC, I tried the T1-> Grado adapter with on the DX 50 and couldn't find any differences too. Sounds great!

All the best in finding a solution!

Jun 5, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #17,217 of 18,652
  Hey! Do you mean that the Grado jack causes loss in instruments as well? That's all I have been using my T1 with since  got them. 
I did test them with the 6.35mm jack originally with other amps and I don't think I found any differences so to speak, (with or without the Grado adapter).

IIRC, I tried the T1-> Grado adapter with on the DX 50 and couldn't find any differences too. Sounds great!

All the best in finding a solution!

Oh no, that's not what I meant. I haven't use it so I wouldn't know. I just said that the Grado extension jack is physically similar to the M50x's (straight connector). Hence the Grado extension is not useful to me, since I was looking for a 90° angle jack extension. So I'm sure it works pretty well as you mentioned.

Thanks! Luckily I already did, as you can see in my previous post :D

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #17,218 of 18,652
Is the official firmware still being developed?

Jun 6, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #17,220 of 18,652
Hi guys, I think I may have a problem with screen on my DX50 ? I booted it up this morning and I have 2 vertical red line running up the screen ( one in the middle and one about 1cm from the right edge). Any ideas?

Regards

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back