The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jun 1, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #17,161 of 18,652
and dont forget, replacing with the right opamp also affect sound quality so much, its more clearer and larger soundstage than only change the caps..

What are some good amps to replace it with? When I move into my house I'll get a soldering iron and I plan on replacing the caps. Might as well replace the amp while I'm in there! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #17,162 of 18,652
I've installed the old version of the rockbox and everytime I tried updating, it'll go to the CWM boot. I don't have my DX50 with me right now as im in the office. I'll post some pics once I'm back home. 

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #17,163 of 18,652

I'm really interested in trying these mods, but not when my DX50 is my only quality source component. But luckily we're moving soon, so I'll finally have the space for a proper setup and I can tinker with my DX50.

Great, good luck..

What are some good amps to replace it with? When I move into my house I'll get a soldering iron and I plan on replacing the caps. Might as well replace the amp while I'm in there! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My friend did it with opamp 627 (and replace the caps with Blackgate).. sounds really good..

i'm planning soon..

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #17,165 of 18,652
guys, stop it... You make me think about changing amp also -.-

Although, I already enjoy my DX50 sound very much and find nothing lacking with my gear after caps+ SU 1.3.3.

But If I`m going to upgrade amp, then it`s good excuse to put in some oxicaps too, finally ;D

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #17,166 of 18,652
guys, stop it... You make me think about changing amp also -.-

Although, I already enjoy my DX50 sound very much and find nothing lacking with my gear after caps+ SU 1.3.3.

But If I`m going to upgrade amp, then it`s good excuse to put in some oxicaps too, finally ;D

In a month or so when I get my annual leave I am next - I am going to put in that BB and upgrade the caps, the prices are not bad but the availability concerns me.

I am planning to upgrade the amp and the caps at once. Which caps do you guys advise to exchange and what new caps to go for - any advise?

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #17,167 of 18,652
@Yanec  well, i noticed my standard DX50 with SU 1.3.3 sound better than stock fw, but still noticed that the instruments detail is not clear and the bass doesn't kicking. After changes the cap with Blackgate the sound more detail and the bass is ok. But i also noticed noise in female vocal (maybe because bad recording).

Then i meet my friend with BB opa 627 inside his DX50, after listening i noticed the sound much clear and cleaner and the soundstage much larger, this is what i want, detail and clean sound, dont know what sonic sound is but i really love the improvement.

@CoiL You have to try
wink.gif

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #17,168 of 18,652
Which caps do you guys advise to exchange and what new caps to go for - any advise?

HO and LO caps:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/679473/the-ibasso-dx50-thread-latest-firmware-1-9-2/16995#post_11619625

Black Gate`s are unfortunately hard to get in right value and size. I recommend to go with widely available and cheaper option (not that BG`s are bad, certainly on top with others I tested).

HO amps decoupling caps:
If I bother some day in future to mess with it then these are the caps I wish to use: 
http://www2.mouser.com/ProductDetail/AVX/NOJD107M010RWB/?qs=%2Fha2pyFadugxym376v1PCTxYMG83g6bUcOX5cpt8tb5fh%2Fu5IBzi%2FA%3D%3D

Babs changed his with 3x47uF oxicap`s.

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #17,169 of 18,652
@Yanec
  well, i noticed my standard DX50 with SU 1.3.3 sound better than stock fw, but still noticed that the instruments detail is not clear and the bass doesn't kicking. After changes the cap with Blackgate the sound more detail and the bass is ok. But i also noticed noise in female vocal (maybe because bad recording).

Then i meet my friend with BB opa 627 inside his DX50, after listening i noticed the sound much clear and cleaner and the soundstage much larger, this is what i want, detail and clean sound, dont know what sonic sound is but i really love the improvement.

@CoiL
You have to try :wink:

Regarding the BB - I am sure it has positive effect on the highs too - although more detailed it is much less prone to sibilance as far as I know.

Regarding detail and SU 1.3.3. - Try 1.3.4 or 1.3.5 and as I always recommend - try my favorite SU EX

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #17,170 of 18,652
Jun 2, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #17,171 of 18,652
Regarding detail and SU 1.3.3. - Try 1.3.4 or 1.3.5 and as I always recommend - try my favorite SU EX

I have tried all SU`s including some not available in public and I still find SU 1.3.3 @ FLAC/ IIR off /CPU default best FW :wink:
Of course this is just my subjective opinion with my gear and for my taste.

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #17,172 of 18,652
I've been trying to get SU EX to work because I wanted to see if it is as good as I remember. I'm having nothing, but trouble...

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #17,173 of 18,652
I have tried all SU`s including some not available in public and I still find SU 1.3.3 @ FLAC/ IIR off /CPU default best FW :wink:
Of course this is just my subjective opinion with my gear and for my taste.

Absolutely agree with you on the settings and I also agree that the SU 1.3.3 is better than 1.3.4 and 1.3.5 but as they were more harsh on the highs some users found them "more detailed" this is common impression given more extended highs. That is why I recommended to give these a try in the given case. As long as I am concerned I prefer rolled off highs so 1.3.4. and 1.3.5 are not my FW.

By the way - another way to try 1.3.3 with a more analytical incline is to engage the Wolfson on-board extension (turn on the filter in the hidden menu)

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #17,174 of 18,652
I've been trying to get SU EX to work because I wanted to see if it is as good as I remember. I'm having nothing, but trouble...

I guess I am lucky as I just checked and I am on SU EX - flashed it from the first time and use it with no trouble. What are the problems you have? My settings are FLAC/IIR off/Mid gain and I don't use gapless. As usual - always remember to reset the FW and rebuilt your library after the flash.

It would be Great if I can get you opinion on SU EX compared to the DOC's FW you use.

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #17,175 of 18,652

I guess I am lucky as I just checked and I am on SU EX - flashed it from the first time and use it with no trouble. What are the problems you have? My settings are FLAC/IIR off/Mid gain and I don't use gapless. As usual - always remember to reset the FW and rebuilt your library after the flash.

It would be Great if I can get you opinion on SU EX compared to the DOC's FW you use.

When I used to use it I didn't have any issues. Now I can't get it to update the library, it just gets stuck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back