The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jul 24, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #14,417 of 18,652
Hi!
I'm going to use dx50 coaxial out with my new dac (not yet delivered) and I was wondering if all this firmwares have sound signature differences between them when using coaxial out. Does anyone tested?

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #14,418 of 18,652
Just got the VSonic VSD1S I ordered in the mail a couple of weeks ago, to use with my DX50.  Gotta say it's a huge improvement over the WooDuo2s I had.  More clarity and detail than the WD2.  I know a lot of people say these lack bass, but I find it's the right amount.  Anything more would be overwhelming and tiresome IMO.  I'd say the WD2 have slightly more bass, but lack the detail of the VSD1S.  It's hard to believe the $40CDN VSD1S can out perform the $75CDN WD2.  I guess people in this thread were correct to say the VSD1S pairs well with the DX50.

I found the build quality of the WD2 is better, and the IEM as a whole has better styling.  I also prefer the flat cable to the thin round cable that came with the VSD1S.  I'm a little choked the foam tips that came with the VSD1S are all the same size, cuz the size is too small for me.  For now I'll have to suck up using the rubber tips.  I just hope the VSD1S will last for a long time, cuz I read a lot posts where people broke them within a few months.

Now I just need to find some comfortable tips to go with them.

Jul 25, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #14,419 of 18,652
interesting that the VSonic VSD1S pair so well with the dx50.  I wonder if there is much of a difference if they are paired with a fiio x3?  Been thinking of getting these iems for a while...

Jul 25, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #14,420 of 18,652
I have been using a cowon d20 for a while now....but it is a bit of pig usuability-wise.  Hate the resistive touch screen and the software is meh.  Anyone know if the dx50 is an upgrade of this dap?  Could not find anyone who compared them...

Jul 25, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #14,421 of 18,652
I would imagine it would be quite a step up

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #14,423 of 18,652
Thanks Olddude.  I'm re-ripping a library and although I know FLAC is basically as good as AIFF I just want to skip any compression  whatsoever. I want to do one rip that will satisfy me on my reference system as well as my portable.  And now that drive space is not really an issue - why not?  thanks for doing the test.  

Oh, and yes the box is checked.

Thanks again.

With Dbpoweramp I have the ability to convert to FLAC uncompressed. I like to avoid compression too.

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #14,425 of 18,652
I have to agree that with my ma-750's i prefer irr off, with it on the sound seem harsh to me, and all the instruments are brought forward, but in an unnatural sounding way, like when you turn on effects on your tv to widen sound stage, you can hear some things better that you couldn't before but at same time things can become a little muddy. irr off is amazing for me.

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #14,426 of 18,652
Thanks guys.

So it appears that I'm the only one that is using AIFFs with this device?  Despite the fact that AIFF does have an Apple "stink" on it I thought it embedded art work and tags plus I figured it would mesh with some home audio solutions better. That with being uncompressed made it seem like a good solution.  I know there are threads filled with the "which format is best?" so that's not what I want here.

I am just looking for an Ibasso DX50 user who uses AIFF - anybody?

I just hoped that it would be more supported on this device.  The music plays wonderfully.  I am just trying to figure out whether to even worry about the art.  As many have pointed out - I'm not really looking at the device while playing - but it would be nice to address.

Thanks again.

David 

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #14,427 of 18,652
  I'm desperately looking for on-ears around $200 that will do this player and hi-res files justice, neutral-to-balanced in signature.

thoughts?

I have tried MANY iems of different sound signature with the DX50.
Based on that I have two recommendations:

- For neutral, hi-end sonic signature the Best option is HiFiMan RE-400. It's the best iem pair to the DX50 I've ever tried, my VSonic GR07MkII lags FAR behind in this neutral class of IEMs.
- For bassheads or just for bass-heavy music the Audio Technica ATH-CKS77X is the best pair for the DX50. But overall the HiFiMan RE-400 is simply out of this world with this DAP.

For $200 I would buy these both and change them for different music styles (ATH is good for hip-hop. dub, rap, reggae, electronic, drum-n-bass, etc.)

Cheers!

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #14,428 of 18,652
I'm desperately looking for on-ears around $200 that will do this player and hi-res files justice, neutral-to-balanced in signature.

thoughts?

I wouldn't worry about picking out a pair based on how the IEMs will pair with the DX50. My experience is that the DX50 has a good sound that works very well across a wide range of headphones and IEMs. The only time that pairing would be important is when it comes to very difficult to drive full sized headphones (because of power needs), which is not probably something you need to worry about with IEMs (they are generally very sensitive and easy to drive). Looking for synergy recommendations is problematic because that's such a personal taste thing, a very minor tweak to the headphone sound. It's too likely that someone else's experience will not be yours. Just find the IEMs that you feel will suit YOU well, not the DX50. :)

Jul 25, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #14,429 of 18,652
Hi!
I'm going to use dx50 coaxial out with my new dac (not yet delivered) and I was wondering if all this firmwares have sound signature differences between them when using coaxial out. Does anyone tested?

I can't hear the differences with the headphone out between firmware as others seem to be able to. However, if there are differences I imagine they will probably pass through the coaxial much the same considering that the EQ settings and volume both pass through the coaxial.  So the audio isn't going straight out, it's still being processed by the internal software.  

On that note I generally find the DX50 coaxial output to sound better than my home theater pc optical output when plugged into the same receiver used on the same sound system.  Works extremely well.  

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #14,430 of 18,652
confused.gif

Hi!

I can't hear the differences with the headphone out between firmware as others seem to be able to. However, if there are differences I imagine they will probably pass through the coaxial much the same considering that the EQ settings and volume both pass through the coaxial.  So the audio isn't going straight out, it's still being processed by the internal software.  

On that note I generally find the DX50 coaxial output to sound better than my home theater pc optical output when plugged into the same receiver used on the same sound system.  Works extremely well.  

I fear that the coaxial output single out bits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back