The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jul 22, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #14,386 of 18,652
  Thanks for the detailed reply, motivates me to go get a DX50, maybe second hand for $130-140, and maybe an amp as well. From what I understand, it means that with the new iBasso driver, I'd be able to connect from computer to the DX50, then to an amp, then to my headphones? I guess that means two interconnect cables. 

Yeh the DX50 functions great not only as a PMP but also as a desktop DAC/AMP. I use as a DAC to feed a couple of different CMOY's. The actual amp inside the dx50 is not too bad depending on the headphone you use. I've found that headphones that maybe a bit thin sounding or bright/harsh seem to sound better when plugged directly into the dx50.
JUst a word of caution, if you run a 64bit version of windows it can be a little tricky to get the dx50 up and running properly.

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #14,387 of 18,652
  Thanks for the detailed reply, motivates me to go get a DX50, maybe second hand for $130-140, and maybe an amp as well. From what I understand, it means that with the new iBasso driver, I'd be able to connect from computer to the DX50, then to an amp, then to my headphones? I guess that means two interconnect cables. 

Huh?  You can connect the DX50 to your computer IF the driver works with your Windows computer (PLEASE read this thread for people's issues doing that!!!).  Then you could play your music through your computer into whatever speaker system you have attached to your computer.  The music ON your DX50 is source, the computer receives the signal and sends it to speakers or whatever.  The DX50 plays music (it's a DAP).  If the drivers work, it can also function as a DAC and put music into your computer and you can play it through the computer by streaming or whatever.  From what you wrote, it sounds like you want to do the reverse.  

If all you want to do is listen with phones, get an amp that will drive your phones and that's all you need.  With iems, you don't even really need an amp.  It makes it better, but you don't NEED one.  With the DX90 you might not even need an amp, period, to drive phones.  Post your phones here and see what luck people have had driving them with their setups.  

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #14,388 of 18,652
I'm just confused on if the DX50 is paired with a DAC/Amp, then the internal ones will be bypassed, then doesn't it kind of make buying the DX50 meaningless?

You don't need an amp to pair with the DX50 for the headphones you have listed in your sig. It will drive them fine. Some people like spending an extra $120-$200 to get a bit better sound out of the DX50, but it sounds quite good with most headphones without it.

I have a FiiO E12. Yes. It improves the sound a little. But the only headphones I use it with are the K612 Pros because they are very difficult to drive, and it helps out my HE-400s somewhat as well because they are somewhat inefficient (depends on what volume I listen to). The E12 just has more power to help drive them. Otherwise, it's not worth it to me to lug around an amp. The improvement is just not that much to me.

So I recommend getting the DX50 and not worrying about an amp given your headphones. Better off saving that money towards more headphones, IMO, or since you are a student, towards other ways to have fun :)

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #14,389 of 18,652
  Huh?  You can connect the DX50 to your computer IF the driver works with your Windows computer (PLEASE read this thread for people's issues doing that!!!).  Then you could play your music through your computer into whatever speaker system you have attached to your computer.  The music ON your DX50 is source, the computer receives the signal and sends it to speakers or whatever.  The DX50 plays music (it's a DAP).  If the drivers work, it can also function as a DAC and put music into your computer and you can play it through the computer by streaming or whatever.  From what you wrote, it sounds like you want to do the reverse.  

If all you want to do is listen with phones, get an amp that will drive your phones and that's all you need.  With iems, you don't even really need an amp.  It makes it better, but you don't NEED one.  With the DX90 you might not even need an amp, period, to drive phones.  Post your phones here and see what luck people have had driving them with their setups.  

The DAC function should work just as Nicholas L summed up. So it makes DX50 to function as an external DAC (and amp) which in essence means the sound comes through it and out of the computer enabling the option to enhance the PC sound output including bypassing the integrated speakers. You should be able to use either LO or HO.

What comes to the drivers it will be a bit (or a lot) challenging to get them singing since they are still beta and also not signed which translates to a lot of grief especially with newer 64 bit Windows releases. It should still be doable as some people have demonstrated here. "Some" technical awareness required of course.
And a reminders of an accidental caveat at the iBasso download page. Here's the line and links for our Dx50 drivers:

DX50&DX90 USB-DAC driver for Windows OS, Jun 21st, 2014    File size:8.3M    Download

Clicking "DX50&DX90 USB-DAC driver for Windows OS, Jun 21st, 2014" gives you the correct file "DX50&DX90_WindowsOS_USB-DAC_Driver_Beta2.zip" as the name states, but clickind "Download" gives you the incorrect DX90-only 32bit driver file "DX90_USB-DAC_driver_for32bitWinXP&Win7.zip", which is actually also on the line below with the correct description.

Jul 23, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #14,390 of 18,652
I'm a laser welder, and I need a player to be in my jeans pocket while working instead of using my phone, not only that I maxed out the 32 GB available to me (LG G2) thanks to large flac files, but I'm also unable to FWD songs unless I stop, get the phone out and fwd/rwd..are the front 3 buttons and volume easily accessible while in pocket? I'm using Vsonic GR-07 bass edition which I very much love
ksc75smile.gif
 and the sound is decent..much better quality than my old 30 GB Zune (a POS)
biggrin.gif

So is the DX50 a good choice or should I wait (and suffer) until something better comes along, since I hear that the interface in need of more polishing work..
Thanks for your input, very much!      

Jul 23, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #14,391 of 18,652
I'm desperately looking for on-ears around $200 that will do this player and hi-res files justice, neutral-to-balanced in signature.

thoughts?

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #14,392 of 18,652
  I need a player to be in my jeans pocket while working ... but I'm also unable to FWD songs unless I stop, get the phone out and fwd/rwd..are the front 3 buttons and volume easily accessible while in pocket?

I`m doing woodwork (handwork + machines) and wearing DX50 in my pocket. If You know where buttons are then no need to even get it out of pocket. Large 3 buttons make it easy to use (pause for example to hear speech) through pocket. Vol regulating is also comfy when you know on what edge they are located. For me, very comfy while working :wink:
Only thing I`m little worried is screen without any hard protection shield. But I`m going to make thin lasercut aluminium panel for this (with physical button cutouts) :wink:

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #14,394 of 18,652
My subjective opinion is that Sound Unlocked 1.3.0 @ FLAC mode beats them both :wink:

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #14,395 of 18,652
Thanks

I love the AQ of the player so far with 1.5.0 firmware but the bass seams really weak. Even less than most smartphones, as posted by another member earlier. Rockbox does a good job but I wouldn't mind a little more bass rumble.

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #14,396 of 18,652
I'm desperately looking for on-ears around $200 that will do this player and hi-res files justice, neutral-to-balanced in signature.

thoughts?

My ba200 is just too awesome with rockboxed dx50,

I think you can get used for 80 to 100$.

Since i got it , i nearly dont use my gr07 be, mainly because with ba200 there is no sibilance, with brilliant smooth forward mids.

Read about its signature, and if it is to ur liking you wont look back !!

Jul 23, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #14,397 of 18,652
My ba200 is just too awesome with rockboxed dx50,

I think you can get used for 80 to 100$.

Since i got it , i nearly dont use my gr07 be, mainly because with ba200 there is no sibilance, with brilliant smooth forward mids.

Read about its signature, and if it is to ur liking you wont look back !!

I still have my BA200 and I agree it is very good at the mid and treble regions. It's just missing a lot in bass. Particularly the sub bass. Most of the time it makes things sound thin.

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #14,398 of 18,652
  Thanks

I love the AQ of the player so far with 1.5.0 firmware but the bass seams really weak. Even less than most smartphones, as posted by another member earlier. Rockbox does a good job but I wouldn't mind a little more bass rumble.

So you need exaggerated bass, not natural one. In this case a mobile phone will really be a better option for you.

Since you already own the player and since you care more about bass quantity than about natural sonic characteristics try this firmware: https://mega.co.nz/#!70QF3IJL!RvUaXwqD4QvHiO2CVfakJ4oNVkiRy0IE4mIorIujdHU and also use the EQ to get the bass quantity that you need.

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #14,399 of 18,652
  Thanks

So you need exaggerated bass, not natural one. In this case a mobile phone will really be a better option for you.

Since you already own the player and since you care more about bass quantity than about natural sonic characteristics try this firmware: https://mega.co.nz/#!70QF3IJL!RvUaXwqD4QvHiO2CVfakJ4oNVkiRy0IE4mIorIujdHU and also use the EQ to get the bass quantity that you need.

Could be just the headphones he's using.  He might have a set that are really flat, or not being powered properly.  Perhaps he's plugged into the Line Out instead of Phone Out.  If he wants more rumble and the headphones aren't cutting it, then he might need to get a set that can produce a good amount bass.  Test with a few different sources and see if the headphones are consistently flat when used with each source.  Maybe some Beyers or Beats (*shudder*).  I have the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250-ohms, and I find they're too bass heavy compared to the Q701s I received in the mail the other day.

Jul 23, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #14,400 of 18,652
problem with Sound Unlocked V1.30. Hi everyone, I have no idea how to reboot into the settings?? I have switched the lock to on and boot up the device, but it keeps showing me "Locked" screen after boot up complete and there is no such special settings as mentioned? I unlock the device, it will just turn back to the normal home menu. Am I missing something. I've tried to look for any info, there is nothing about anyone mentioning anything about what I'm experiencing. I have tried it over and over, but nothing happened, it will just keep getting back to the home menu. Kindly advice. Thank you in advanced!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back