The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Mar 18, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #12,256 of 18,652
FIRMWARE BUG: The sound becomes worse at low battery level. Stock firmware 1.2.8. No problem with Rockbox.

Mar 18, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #12,257 of 18,652
Mar 18, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #12,258 of 18,652
FIRMWARE BUG: The sound becomes worse at low battery level. Stock firmware 1.2.8. No problem with Rockbox.

I've noticed this too. Reason why I always bring my spare batts.

Mar 18, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #12,259 of 18,652
I've noticed this too. Reason why I always bring my spare batts.

I don't think you can call that a bug, that happens with all sorts of equipment. My SR71-B sounds worse when the battery is low and light output from torches goes down when batteries are low and the motor on my shaver goes slower

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #12,260 of 18,652
anyone tried gorilla gadget 4500mah battery with their DX50?? 

http://www.batteryreview.info/reviews/gorilla-gadgets-4500mah-extended-battery-for-the-samsung-galaxy-s3/

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #12,262 of 18,652
Is iBasso currently working on a firmware update for the dx50? I'm just curious.

Aren't you satisfied with the SQ of the current firmware ( 1.2.8) ? Sounds great already ( at least with my balanced rig )DX50>PB2>SE535 :wink:

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #12,263 of 18,652
There should be a fw version with usb dac capability coming out

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #12,264 of 18,652

That's not a bug per se. Batteries don't deliver constant power. A 1.5V AA battery, for example, starts out at ~1.5V nominal when fresh and slowly drops to ~1.2V as it is discharged. As the voltage drops the device may exhibit odd behavior: lights become dim, amplifiers get twitchy and so forth. The quality of the battery may also be a factor as a low quality battery may deliver more choppy power than a high quality battery.

My suspicion is that Mango is a bit of a power hog, and my suspicion is that it is due to either poor CPU power management or excessive flash I/O. If Mango is less efficient with power than Rockbox then it will start to exhibit odd behavior sooner. This seems consistent with the behavior that you've described.

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #12,265 of 18,652
You can start with the OPamps and extra buffers that came the PB2. There is a a manual on the ibasso website that shows you how to change them.

You can also look at this thread which will give you more background information :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/528149/ibasso-pb-2-pelican-fully-balanced-portable-db-2-dac-hiflight-recommended-op-amps-page-16

When connecting using DB2, it logical to run a full balance system with portable amp like PB2, RSA intruder, Duet, etc
The benefit is quite immediate felt as you hear better soundstage, instrument separation and fuller sound.
I am sure how much that improvement is attributed to DB2 specifically and whether to SQ improvement justifies carrying a 3piece stack is up to each individual....

Its the same reason why DX90 looks promising with its dual DAC design...

So yeah I am really enjoying my new amp but I am abit confused with the balance input, so the guy told me that unless my headphone uses a balance connector then it's pointless to use a balance cable between my PB 2 and DB2( which i will get in the future) My question is that I've seen someone saying they use the HD 650 balance connector to the DX 50 and PB 2  but the HD 650 I saw doesn't have a balance connector, do i have to buy one?

The shop guy told me that 6-pin balance connector are rare and hard to find, also i am wondering if I had a balance cable between my PB2 and DP2 if it's gonna sound better even if the output connector to my headphone is still unbalance. One last question is will it sound better if I use my cheap hippo amp as a preamp to my PB2 then Dx50? I just tried it and it works but I am hoping for someone to tell me if it will diminish the sound or improve it.

Sorry one more question, can someone explain to me more in detail with OPamp chips that came with the PB2? I just need to know which Opamp give wat kinda sound.

Mar 18, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #12,266 of 18,652

So yeah I am really enjoying my new amp but I am abit confused with the balance input, so the guy told me that unless my headphone uses a balance connector then it's pointless to use a balance cable between my PB 2 and DB2( which i will get in the future) My question is that I've seen someone saying they use the HD 650 balance connector to the DX 50 and PB 2  but the HD 650 I saw doesn't have a balance connector, do i have to buy one?

The shop guy told me that 6-pin balance connector are rare and hard to find, also i am wondering if I had a balance cable between my PB2 and DP2 if it's gonna sound better even if the output connector to my headphone is still unbalance. One last question is will it sound better if I use my cheap hippo amp as a preamp to my PB2 then Dx50? I just tried it and it works but I am hoping for someone to tell me if it will diminish the sound or improve it.

Sorry one more question, can someone explain to me more in detail with OPamp chips that came with the PB2? I just need to know which Opamp give wat kinda sound.

Keep your setup simple. You don't need a pre-amp. You are not hooking DX50 to a loud speaker. Do you? If you go balanced, all inter-connect should be balanced to maximize your setup. If I were you, I won't worry about balanced yet. Enjoy your current setup until you become familiar with your rig. Then you can just go balanced later.

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #12,267 of 18,652

You would have to buy a balanced cable. Unfortunately the Sennheiser balanced cable on the IBasso website is unavailable as it was great value for money.

This article provides a better explanation of the differing sound of the supplied OPamps and Buffers better than I ever could.

http://www.headfonia.com/ibasso-pb-2-first-impression/

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #12,268 of 18,652
Hello there,

I posted this in the 'ask for a recommendation' section but I thought I may have some luck here...

I have a DX50 and a pair of HD598's. I've been somewhat disappointed with the sound but recently I ran it through my 17 year old Audiolab 8000A and suddenly everything makes sense! The 598's are really singing now!

The sound is so much more fuller and really gives the phones the oomph they need. I particularly like the deep sub bass, and the tightness and control across the instruments and the lovely sense of space and timing. It really has the Wow factor for me. But of course an 8000A is hardly portable!

So how much would I need to spend in order to get a comparable sound? Can anyone recommend a particular amp that they would consider to be similar in sound to the Audiolab or have ideas what amp would give the sound I am looking for?

Thank you

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #12,269 of 18,652
  Hello there,

I posted this in the 'ask for a recommendation' section but I thought I may have some luck here...

I have a DX50 and a pair of HD598's. I've been somewhat disappointed with the sound but recently I ran it through my 17 year old Audiolab 8000A and suddenly everything makes sense! The 598's are really singing now!

The sound is so much more fuller and really gives the phones the oomph they need. I particularly like the deep sub bass, and the tightness and control across the instruments and the lovely sense of space and timing. It really has the Wow factor for me. But of course an 8000A is hardly portable!

So how much would I need to spend in order to get a comparable sound? Can anyone recommend a particular amp that they would consider to be similar in sound to the Audiolab or have ideas what amp would give the sound I am looking for?

Thank you

Just use the Search Thread function.

Popular pairings include the iBasso PB2, the JDS Labs C5, the C&C BH2, and the Apex Glacier among others.

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #12,270 of 18,652
  Hello there,

Thank you

There are quite a few proposed amps already for the DX50 in this thread and the following;  http://www.head-fi.org/t/687288/so-im-looking-for-that-perfect-amp

Do a search for amp in this thread and the one I suggested above and you should really find quite a few selections. I have Sennheiser HD600 and I use 3 different amps with the best being my RSA Intruder, next Pico Slim and Pico Power being very similar. Those amps are expensive so you might find better priced amps that will work nicely with your HD 598.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back