The Hyland Headphones Saturn One, Saturn Two and Jupiter One thread
Aug 9, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #79 of 246
I received my new Saturn Ones a week or two ago. The only note I will add is I had mine customized where I am able to use my Audeze style mini XLR terminated Silver Dragon Cable. I did not receive a cable from Alex and so my impressions are solely based on the cables I have.

I was extremely happy with the sound quality of these little headphones. I had read mixed reports of some saying the bass is too light and some saying the bass is too heavy. I did not find them bass light at all. They definitely have good impact with quality in the bass region. I do think they are just a bit lighter in the bass department than my Klipsch HP-3s but not by much. They have more impact and slam than my Kennerton Thridi (which cost more than 5x as much) but the Kennerton has a more refined quality in the bass if that makes any sense.

I find them much clearer than my Klipsch and they have better separation of instruments. My Klipsch sound a bit veiled in comparison. The Kennertons have very good superior imaging. Soundstage wise I believe the Saturn One is very good. Definitely better than the Klipsch and holding its own against the Kennerton.

Treble wise I do not find myself able to hear very high frequency and so all three headphone have a sound that is inoffensive to me. Sorry but I don’t know how to describe it better.

I definitely think these headphones are simply remarkable for the price. If I had one complaint, I think the headband looks a little cheap, but they feel like a feather and I would prefer a cheaper looking headband to a uncomfortable headphone all day! The cups look great and I will try some of the grado pads in the future.

I tried the headphones on all three of my amps. My Pathos Aurium sounded wonderful. This hybrid is a great match. I love that the gain is variable to perfectly match whatever I am listening to. My Wells Audio Milo sounded ok, but it is much, much too much power and I do not recommend a amp with this much power. My ampsandsound SE-84 sounded the best with the Saturn One....I believe a tube amp hits the sweet spot. (At least mine did)

Source wise I listened to CDs ripped through my Bryston BDP-1 through a M2Tech Young Mk 1 with Palmer Power Supply. The CDs listen to were primarily alternative rock.

To sum it all up, my Klipsch will be listened to mostly by my wife from here on out. (She loves how they look and I have adopted them as her headphones) The Saturn One is so comfortable with a great sound which will work great as a second headphone when I am not in the mood for the much more heavy Kennerton.

Great job Alex! I hope you sell a lot of these babies!

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #80 of 246
Hey Strayings,
Welcome to the Saturn One Club! A small group at the moment, but getting bigger every week.

From my personal experience and from what I have heard from the tour participants, the Saturn One seems to do it's best with a hybrid amp. I have had it on an Ember II, an Elemental Watson and a NuHybrid and it rocks with all three of them. It doesn't sound bad on a solid state, but imo the hybrids really bring the best out of it.

Congratulations go out to Alex and his wife! They welcomed a baby daughter into the world this week.

Aug 10, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #81 of 246
Based on Geezer Rocks recommendation, I purchased an Elemental Watson hybrid amp and found the synergy to be outstanding! Best combination I have yet discovered.

Aug 11, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #82 of 246
I purchased an Elemental Watson hybrid amp and found the synergy to be outstanding! Best combination I have yet discovered.

Thanks for the segway HiFlight. Based on the information that I got back from che15 about how the audition pair matched up with an Apex amp that I have inbound, my Elemental Watson is listed in the amps for sale section for $175. If you are a Saturn One owner and you buy it, I will send you a special treat with the Watson.

Aug 16, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #83 of 246
Thanks for the segway HiFlight. Based on the information that I got back from che15 about how the audition pair matched up with an Apex amp that I have inbound, my Elemental Watson is listed in the amps for sale section for $175. If you are a Saturn One owner and you buy it, I will send you a special treat with the Watson.

Damn! I would have liked to try this amp for that price, as I too, picked up a Saturn One recently. It took a bit getting used to the on-ear design and non-existent clamping force, but they are super light and sound fabulous! If anyone is willing to sell their Elemental Watson, let me know!

Aug 16, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #84 of 246
There are still a few Elemental Watsons for sale at Music To My Ear in Pittsburg. I believe all that they have left are the version with rca inputs on the front. A little bit of a bummer but HiFlight made it work.

If you call MTME ask for Mark, the owner, and tell him that the Geezer from Georgia sent you.

Aug 22, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #86 of 246
I just ordered a pair. Should be here in a month's time as Alex has two prior orders. Really exciting as this is my first true audiophile headphones.
I read many reviews but I can anyone describe how well they do on pop, R&B and rock genres?
How wide is their soundstage? Are they any existing headphones that are close to their width, height and depth of their soundstage?

Aug 22, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #87 of 246
DezHiFi,
Congratulations on your decision to order a Saturn One! Hopefully some of the other owners will chime in, but here are my brief impressions. They do all types of music well and have a well balanced sound. They are very light and comfortable. They respond well to all types of amplification, but I have found that they do best for me with a hybrid amp.

Their sound stage and presentation is excellent. Any time that a craftsman puts their name on a product it tells me that they put pride and passion into their finished product. Alex Hyland does that and more. His creations are a work of art, both to the eyes and to the ears in my humble opinion.

Aug 23, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #88 of 246
Can anyone suggest some cheap hybrid amps that works well with the Saturns? I have a dragonfly red, something tells me that it won't bring the best out of the saturns.
I saw the Elemental Watson. Are you guys using the version II? What kind of dac are you using? I live in Malaysia, the exchange rate here kinda sucks as the Elemental watson costs RM 1250 (300 USD) here.

Aug 28, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #89 of 246
In very few words, These headphone are amazing and not just for the price!
Like them better than any headphone I have ever owned.

Aug 28, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #90 of 246
In very few words, These headphone are amazing and not just for the price!
Like them better than any headphone I have ever owned.
+1!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back