The Hyland Headphones Saturn One, Saturn Two and Jupiter One thread
Sep 30, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #226 of 246
Hyland Audio Jupiter One vs:

Denon AH-D7200:
Obviously can't touch these for bass quantity, but quality they're right in line if not better. The Denons are richer, warmer, more intimate. Everything you expect from a closed back. The Jupiter One gets as close to this feel as I've ever seen in an open back.

Audio Technica ATH-R70X:
Jupiter sounds "colored", even "dark" after listening to these, but the R70X is truly unforgiving, and about the closest thing I own to "studio monitor" headphones now. It's also worth mentioning that I personally love the "ruler flat" presentation. The Hylands may not technically be "accurate" but they're well tuned and avoid V-shaped nonsense.

Koss ESP-950 + energizer:
No, Jupiter can't touch an electrostat for detail, but it does pretty much everything else better.

I absolutely love the Jupiter One and hope to one day experience and own Alex's newer models. Sadly, I'm not in a position to pursue them any time soon.
Thank you. I also like a flat / accurate presentation. Alex describes the new open Venus as "tuned for a romantic listening experience, with a more coloured sound signature than our previous headphones", so I would lean more towards the Jupiter.

Dec 28, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #229 of 246
I've had a pair of Jupiter One for almost a year now, and I really can't complain much about it. For a blind purchase, it was a helluva good (and lucky) one.

Would other users recommend I get an amp or DAC to pair this with? At the moment, I don't find my current setup particularly lacking (laptop->headphone, iPad->headphone), but my Lightning dongle is on the fritz, so I'm on the fence as to whether to get another one, something multipurpose like the Qudelix or something different altogether, and experiment.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #230 of 246
I've had a pair of Jupiter One for almost a year now, and I really can't complain much about it. For a blind purchase, it was a helluva good (and lucky) one.

Would other users recommend I get an amp or DAC to pair this with? At the moment, I don't find my current setup particularly lacking (laptop->headphone, iPad->headphone), but my Lightning dongle is on the fritz, so I'm on the fence as to whether to get another one, something multipurpose like the Qudelix or something different altogether, and experiment.
I've had my Jupiter One for little over a year now. It's the set of cans that gets most play time by far. I have what some might think is a overkill set up (PC-Burson Composer-Schiit jot2/lake people g111). The Jupiter sings on them. Do they need all of that? I think not. Do they deserve something better than a straight connection to a PC/laptop? For sure. I've used them with a xduoo link and it was good enough in my opinion.

Dec 28, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #232 of 246

I think you'd find it worthwhile to spend a little extra coin on a portable-ish DAC/amp solution. But you dont have to get crazy since the Hylands are easy to drive.

Personally I like to use mine with an AK70, or an iBasso DX120.

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #234 of 246
The Hidizs DH80S is great for the Jupiter One. Plenty of power (granted, they are easy to drive), can be used as a DAC/amp for PC or phone, has its own small battery so it doesn't drain your phone. Been very happy with mine.

Feb 19, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #236 of 246
I've run mine on :

JDS Labs Element II
Schiit bifrost 2/Jot 1&2
Gishelli Labs jnog and erish
Schiit Asgard 3 w/ Multibit chip
Sony A1 portable

They sound great on all and scale well.

Mar 2, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #237 of 246
Seeking recommendations for 2.5mm balanced cables that work with the Jupiter One. I recently got a Qudelix 5K, and I figured I'd try experimenting with the 2.5mm balanced port it has.

https://mezeaudio.com/collections/a...ies-ofc-balanced-cable?variant=40612459085980

This is the only one that I'm familiar with, simply because I once researched Meze headphones, but never got around to actually buying a pair. Is this a decent one to start off with? Is this a good price-to-quality ratio?

Mar 2, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #238 of 246
Seeking recommendations for 2.5mm balanced cables that work with the Jupiter One. I recently got a Qudelix 5K, and I figured I'd try experimenting with the 2.5mm balanced port it has.

https://mezeaudio.com/collections/a...ies-ofc-balanced-cable?variant=40612459085980

This is the only one that I'm familiar with, simply because I once researched Meze headphones, but never got around to actually buying a pair. Is this a decent one to start off with? Is this a good price-to-quality ratio?
That cable looks nice and is reasonably priced. I'd say go for it.

I dont find any note worthy difference with my Jupiter 1 whether I use the stock SE cable or a
balanced cable. The Jupiters are very easy to drive.

Mar 2, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #239 of 246
That cable looks nice and is reasonably priced. I'd say go for it.

I dont find any note worthy difference with my Jupiter 1 whether I use the stock SE cable or a
balanced cable. The Jupiters are very easy to drive.
Well, I just made an order. For two cables.

I got the balanced one, along with their unbalanced inline mic cable. My cheap desktop mic has broken down, and I want a mic that's much closer to my face. I got it with the expectation that it might not have the best mic, but everything is in a package that's far more streamlined than the Antlion ModMic, and I'm not a competitive gamer, and I don't teleconference. I figure $30 isn't too bad for something that prioritizes cable tidiness.

Apr 21, 2023 at 5:01 AM Post #240 of 246
Well, after having them sit in storage for a while, I decided to sell my pair of Jupiter One cans. https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/hyland-jupiter-one-ash-wood.46221/ If anyone was looking to buy a pair and does not want to wait a couple of months for them, they are up for grabs!

Sad to see them go but circumstances change and am hoping I can find them an owner that will actually enjoy them daily. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back