The Hyland Headphones Saturn One, Saturn Two and Jupiter One thread
May 16, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #17 of 246
I have had my Saturn Ones for a couple of weeks now, so ready to write down what I think of them so far.

First off the build: Outstanding. All parts appear to be of high quality, and there are a few things to point out that I really appreciate.

1. The headband fits! I have had Grado headbands that I could not make short enough, so this was a big deal for me. They also swivel and tilt, so they will fit your head correctly.

2. The cables exit the cups at a slight angle forwards. Simple little thing, but makes so much more sense than having them exit right out the bottom, where they are pointing directly at your shoulders (as most manufacturers do).

3. The wood Y-split on the cable. I wasn’t sure I would like this, but of course it is made of the same wood as the cups, and looks beautifully matched. The cable appears to be made of high quality materials also.

On to the sound.

Firstly, the cups are sized to take Grado cushions. For those unfamiliar with Grado cushions, they make 3 styles that I am aware of, and there are more aftermarket cushions to be had.

The great thing about this is that each cushion modifies the sound signature somewhat, so with the Saturn you can tune the sound signature to your tastes. Sometimes I change them simply depending on the mood I’m in, or the music I am listening to. This is one of my favorite things about the design of this headphone.

I listen exclusively through my PC, FLAC files and Spotify Premium. From there I go into an inexpensive DAC (my next upgrade :) ), to a Jolida Foz ss-x, and then to a Garage 1217 Project Ember amp. I can also switch and go from the DAC to a Schiit Magni 3. I listen through the FOZ/Ember setup almost exclusively.

In short, these are a terrific sounding headphone.

Tremendous detail, while at the same time having more bass than any open headphone I have ever had. And it is not sloppy bass! I have never felt like it was bloomy or muddy.

Not sure how he managed this, but to me it sounds like I am getting the best of both worlds, great detail, and great bass.

I cannot perceive a lack of midrange. With that bass, maybe someone could hear something I don’t. However, I want to emphasize, if there is any recessing of the mids, it seems to me it would be very slight. So - IF - the sound signature is “U” shaped, it would be a very shallow U indeed.

I believe they sound better than many headphones that sell for considerably more! Once I start a session with them, I rarely feel like taking them off.

May 20, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #20 of 246
I am weak...just placed my order!

May 21, 2019 at 6:36 AM Post #22 of 246
A Chance Encounter....

My friend Richard was walking his dogs in woods near Watford, listening, as he does, to music via his Focal Utopia headphones, when he was approached by a cyclist. The cyclist had noticed the headphones and drawn the conclusion that anyone wearing something as expensive while dog walking must know a little about headphones and quality sound. The cyclist was Alex Hyland who introduced himself as a headphone manufacturer and asked Richard if he'd be interested in borrowing a pair to review.

I'm a headphone, music and hi-fi nut who does a bit of audio recording, so Richard invited me to help.

We had the following to hand:

Astell & Kern Kann portable hi-res player
Astell & Kern AK120 portable hi-res player
Chord Hugo 2 DAC/headphone amp
Grado SR325 headphones
Fostex TH900 headphones
Sennheiser HD800S headphones
Focal Utopia headphones
A wide range of music of all genres, from 16/44.1 to 24/352.8 and 2.8mHz DSD

The first thing that struck me was the weight. Picking up the handsome wooden box, I assumed it was empty, but no, opening the lid revealed a pair of beautifully crafted headphones. The styling is quirky, betraying their cottage industry origins, but attractive nonetheless. The surprise over the weight continues when lifting them from their box; these are very light headphones. And they’re comfortable. I’ve auditioned lots of headphones over the years and many have sounded terrific, but were too uncomfortable to consider buying. The Hylands fit lightly but securely and are at least as comfortable as any headphone I’ve worn.

So far, so good. How about the sound?

First impressions were of more prominent and impressive bass that I was expecting from an open-backed design. At this point it’s perhaps worth noting how open they are. They leak like the proverbial sieve. Don’t expect to enjoy them on public transport or while your spouse is watching TV in the same room!

Listening to a commercial hi-res recording of a Mahler symphony, I noted the bass as tight, round and tuneful, the mids clear and detailed, the treble sweet and extended. My own recordings of full orchestras, small ensembles, rock bands and solo piano sounded pleasingly accurate.

Now for comparisons; Grado SR325 phones are good. They’re a well-reviewed, quality product, in a similar price bracket to the Saturns, but, upon listening, it was immediately apparent that the Grados were inferior. Forward, a tad shouty and relatively uncomfortable too. No contest.

Moving up a notch, the £1000+ Fostex TH900 phones are in a different league to the Grados. They gave the Hylands much more of a run for their money, but were not significantly better than the hand-built-in-Watford model. The TH900s, despite being closed-back, had a marginally more expansive sound-stage, but the Saturns scored on female vocals, making the £1000 phones sound slightly pinched and nasal. An honourable draw.

Sennheiser HD800S phones are amongst the best you can buy and, at around £1400, four times the price of the Hyland Saturn One. Surely they’d be head and shoulders above a pair costing a mere £350? Again no. The Sennheisers were smooth, detailed, well balanced and very comfortable. The Hylands exhibited a slightly less open sound-stage, but were lighter, just as comfortable and with a tonal balance bringing the upper and, particularly, the lower frequencies forward a touch. This ‘smiley’ curve made them sound more enjoyable on some programme material, but female vocals were less natural, with slight sibilance at times. As a bass player, I was particularly impressed by their low frequency definition and tunefulness. Sennheiser or Hyland? Tricky. They’re different, certainly, and it was initially difficult to decide if one pair was better than the other, but after extensive listening, I think I’d probably choose the Sennheisers. Quite close though.

The final challenge…. the Hylands versus the awesome Focal Utopia, without doubt the finest headphones I’ve heard. As expected, the Focals were better in almost every respect; the silky smoothness, transient attack, detail and perfect tonal balance make them both thrilling and relaxing. Costing ten times as much as the Saturns, they should be good. Ten times better though? Nowhere near.

Summary:

Hyland Saturn One headphones represent remarkable value for money. In use, the headphones are soon forgotten, allowing the music to shine through, which is as it should be. They compare favourably with products costing three or four times as much.

Pros:

Supreme comfort
Consistent high performance across the frequency spectrum
Easy to drive
Tuneful presentation of a wide variety of musical genres
Quality construction
Detachable cable with a standard 2.5mm connector
Relatively low price
Distinctive styling that many will love

Cons:

Very leaky
Slight bass and treble lift doesn’t suit some recordings
Distinctive styling that some might hate

May 21, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #23 of 246
Hi there,

are they any suggestions on replacement pads that are in sheepskin?

Any Grado style cushion will fit. There is a slightly different sound effect with each different cushion, both real Grado and generic cushions.

I am not aware of anyone making sheep skin cushions for Grados. Beautiful Audio produces a hybrid leather/wool velour L cush version that will fit on a Saturn One. I tried them on my Saturn One but I like the Grado G cush the best.

IMO pad rolling is another great option that you get with the Saturn One. Some owners like the L cush best on their headphones.

May 21, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #24 of 246
My Saturn's (in walnut) are under construction as we speak. Hopefully shipment will be early next week. Can't wait!

May 21, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #25 of 246
Well looks like I got the last pre-order...wanted to get myself a little gift for a job promotion and came across this thread. Everytime I try and get out of this hobby, it just sucks me back in :smile_phones: In any case, I'm excited to see how they sound. Grados were the first pair of audiophile headphones I ever had so that sound will always hold a soft spot for me, although I haven't owned a pair in years. Hoping these are a much more refined version of that sound, I wanted something a little more fun than my Senns,

May 21, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #26 of 246
It is definitely a pair of exciting headphones with a slightly U shape of sound profile. Soundstage not as wide as the Senns HD800 but not narrow at all. They are also surprisingly easy to drive, more powerful amps are sometimes overdriving them.

May 21, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #27 of 246
It is definitely a pair of exciting headphones with a slightly U shape of sound profile. Soundstage not as wide as the Senns HD800 but not narrow at all. They are also surprisingly easy to drive, more powerful amps are sometimes overdriving them.

Thats good to hear, I didn't want something extreme like the TH900s in terms of profile, just slightly more exciting in the bass and treble. I used to own HD800s so I'm glad its not that spacious, sometimes the soundstage took me completely out of the song on those. Hopefully they sound halfway decent from my phone, I'd like to be able to listen in bed sometimes. Then again, when i move in a couple months I plan on reconfiguring everything so that I have a listening station with my amps closeby.

May 21, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #28 of 246
They are also surprisingly easy to drive, more powerful amps are sometimes overdriving them.
We owners are going to need to compare notes on amping the Saturns. I really like them with a Garage 1217 hybrid amp with a warm tube, and just a little eq ing to bring the bass down a bit. On an old Graham Slee Solo solid state they sound very good, but not as kicking as the Ember.

I have also heard that the Magni 3 doesn't pair very well.

It is definitely an outstanding listen when you get the can/amp synergy right. I am glad that it is getting a following on both sides of the pond. Alex intends to stick to his 5 builds a month so it will continue to be a made to order and not a mass market headphone

Last edited:
May 21, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #29 of 246
Soundstage not as wide as the Senns HD800 but not narrow at all.

I had a pair of the 800S. At times their sound stage was very distracting to me. It was like you had to mentally chase all of the sounds around to gather them up to make cohesive music. To me the Saturn One is just right. Big enough to be exciting and immersive, but not echo in a canyon big like the 800S'.
On about my second session with my Saturns I was startled by a guitar riff that kept coming from the inside corner of my left eye brow! Great fun!!

May 21, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #30 of 246
I had a pair of the 800S. At times their sound stage was very distracting to me. It was like you had to mentally chase all of the sounds around to gather them up to make cohesive music. To me the Saturn One is just right. Big enough to be exciting and immersive, but not echo in a canyon big like the 800S'.
On about my second session with my Saturns I was startled by a guitar riff that kept coming from the inside corner of my left eye brow! Great fun!!

Yeah, I enjoy having that space, but only to a certain degree. I found myself too many times drifting off following some random bass line or something in the HD800 instead of actually listening to the song haha, guess my ADD doesn't help. I'll let you know how it sounds with my CTH once I get them in, but I'll probably be upgrading my amp at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back