1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The Hopelessly Derailed ODAC/Objective DAC Anticipation/Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by maverickronin, Apr 29, 2012.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Next

Last
  1. kiteki

zip/unzip.

Quote:

Haha, you can check with this - http://spectro.enpts.com/

2. kiteki

Thanks.

So... any thoughts on the differences in your suggested test, and mine, or do you think they're pretty much identical?

3. skamp

You can't conduct yours alone. Foobar ABX is a hell of a lot more convenient (and possibly more reliable).

4. stv014
    Quote:

If someone uploads good quality recorded audio in 96/24 format, and the original source, I can create the ABX files.

5. Tronz
    Quote:
    Okay, but if you're going to be using the ES9018 DAC for music listening, I don't see the point in wasting so much money on specs that will never be fully utilized. It's like buying a Bugatti Veyron for driving to the supermarket. It's pointless. People are so caught up on having the most "technically" advanced DAC when they have little clue that they'll never take full use of it.

6. maverickronin
    Quote:

So obviously there's a pretty big mistake in there somewhere.

7. mikeaj

Next you're going to say that we don't need an amp with a 20V rms output to listen to HD 650s at 1.6V levels. But it's more powerful!!!1!11!1! :rolleyes:

8. Tronz
    Quote:
    Hey, if you want to lose your hearing, that's fine. 

9. deadlylover
    Quote:

It happens man, sometimes, it just gets caught in the zipper. Ouch.

Quote:

I guess it depends on the quality of the A/D converter too if ya gonna record the outputs? Or maybe it wont matter, because it's constant.

I've always wanted to build an arduino based ABX comparator with built in passive preamp to level match difference sources (one that can be used alone, identical in function to the foobar one). I need to get around to doing that one day.

10. stv014
    Quote:

Well, if anything, it can be used to test if the combination of D/A and A/D is transparent, with the hope that the A/D does not improve the quality. But when doing this type of recording, ground loops can be an issue if the D/A and A/D are separate devices but connected to/installed in the same PC.

11. nick_charles Contributor
    Quote:

I've done this kind of test a lot. I used the output from a CD player connected to  a couple of USB ADCs and recorded the results in Audacity. Since there is random error I did at least 10 tests for each combination and averaged the results. Cropping and aligning is royal pain but with a bit of practice you can get quite slick. Any added AD stage adds some noise but I was able to record samples that a high profile member here was incapable of DBTing from the original source files. I used this to compare analog cables and found that for properly terminated cables the differences (including between a $135 cable and a 77c cable) were so small as to be either triviial or obscured by a 16 bit digitization process...

12. scud80
    if you get them aligned (*really* well) you could just difference them and actually hear what's not the same.  this is pretty interesting to do with mp3 compression since they're automatically aligned.

13. skamp
    Nulling is useless for determining what you actually hear with normal playback. It's especially useless with perceptual codecs like MP3.

14. Anaxilus
    Quote:

Interesting.  So what you are saying is there are demonstrable differences in cable based on your tests.

15. nick_charles Contributor
    Quote:

Yes, but when I say these are small I really mean it - we are talking about a few 100ths or 1000ths of a db at a given frequency point. The overarching pattern is that all cables tested (apart from an unshielded silver cable which was noisy) are flat as pancakes in FR terms

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Next

Last