The Hifiman RE2000 - a high end dynamic IEM
Apr 25, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #557 of 627
The biggest issue I had with the tips was that some that I tried other than the stock ones would mess up the sound. Spinfit and Final Type E seem to be OK, not changing much, the latter bringing out more bass.

I have the Cayin N8 here incidentally, and that, with its somewhat "bloomy" tube mode is a nice match with the RE2000, especially with the strong power output.

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #558 of 627
And here is the graph SilverEars was talking about:
9934531_l.png

The coupler is calibrated to IEC711 and has proven to be pretty consistent and in line with other measurements on similar devices.

As you can see - no real peaks - so might be the seal which is causing the peaky treble (ie bass response is low because of lack of seal). Depending on your ear size, I'd recommend Sony Isolation tips (silicone outer with foam inner), or simply a larger size foam.
That graph seems show the portion in regards to certain vocal tracks I found a bit sibilant and overly texturey, although on the ball park seems like a sort of a target response. I would prefer 5-7k somewhat alleviated.

Overall, I really like the driver that's inside. I can hear the quick airy response. Although tonality not perfectly my preference particularly for certain vocals, I really do like the driver performance. Bass is quite good.

May 4, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #559 of 627
I'm realizing the dynamic driver potential with the RE2000. When I go back to my multi-BA, there's something missing that dynamic driver provides. RE2000 convinces me that dynamic drivers are quite technical in ability to express music. I think the bass on these trumps any BA bass I've heard. It's impactful, dynamic, and just so articulate.

More I listen to these, more impressed I am with these. Sound is so crisp and detailed. Sound stage spatial qualities and the airyness, the separation, the distinctness (clarity) of sounds, it meet the technicalities for sure. The bass doesn't have the bloom qualities that dynamic drives can have (like large quantity of soft or bloomy bass lacking tightness or articulation). It's tight, well controlled bass. Great, great bass! I like it alot. When I switch over to BA, I can hear the area of the bass being small, but with these the bass area is quite large with tight response. I don't think it's all that common to have such level of tight bass response with dynamic drivers. The way it moves air is quite interesting!

It took me some time, but I've gotten to the point of realizing how great these are! So I think it takes some times to fully realize them.

It's interesting how Hifiman makes great drivers, but stuff around it doesn't get fine-tuned (like what comes in the box, the visual design). I guess sound has always been the biggest draw for Hifiman. But, it makes no sense that the presentation should be like it is. The presentation undermines the inner core.

Anyway, I've been using the Sony MH755 tips, and they work best for me. It's not any of the provided tips. Suprise, surprise...

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #560 of 627
I'm realizing the dynamic driver potential with the RE2000. When I go back to my multi-BA, there's something missing that dynamic driver provides. RE2000 convinces me that dynamic drivers are quite technical in ability to express music. I think the bass on these trumps any BA bass I've heard. It's impactful, dynamic, and just so articulate.

More I listen to these, more impressed I am with these. Sound is so crisp and detailed. Sound stage spatial qualities and the airyness, the separation, the distinctness (clarity) of sounds, it meet the technicalities for sure. The bass doesn't have the bloom qualities that dynamic drives can have (like large quantity of soft or bloomy bass lacking tightness or articulation). It's tight, well controlled bass. Great, great bass! I like it alot. When I switch over to BA, I can hear the area of the bass being small, but with these the bass area is quite large with tight response. I don't think it's all that common to have such level of tight bass response with dynamic drivers. The way it moves air is quite interesting!

It took me some time, but I've gotten to the point of realizing how great these are! So I think it takes some times to fully realize them.

It's interesting how Hifiman makes great drivers, but stuff around it doesn't get fine-tuned (like what comes in the box, the visual design). I guess sound has always been the biggest draw for Hifiman. But, it makes no sense that the presentation should be like it is. The presentation undermines the inner core.

Anyway, I've been using the Sony MH755 tips, and they work best for me. It's not any of the provided tips. Suprise, surprise...

I've been realising that all HIFIMAN Headphones are like that actually, such outstanding sound. Sundara, RE2000, Arya, HIFIMAN makes good sound.

I'm curious what will happen when the presentation of the product, and the cable / tips will become better :)

May 16, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #561 of 627
After a few days of listening to this Tour Unit. I had noticed that this IEM does really well with female vocals, but falls short on male vocals in terms of presence and forwardness. This IEM is certainly mid centric and has great clarity. Although in comparison to my ME.1 and MDP, it has a different approach to sonic performance and sound signature. Out of the three, the RE2000 Silver seems to be the most bass light and the most accurate on bass tonality. For the mids, the RE2000 Silver is the most forward. As for the treble, the MDP is the most forward. As for best tonality for mids, that goes to the ME.1. Overall, I enjoy the very spacious, detailed, nimble, and slightly bright sounds of the RE2000 Silver.

Is the whole package worth $799? Maybe. Maybe not. It is missing certain qualities. For example, the accuracy seems a little wonky. It has something to do with the positional cues. Also, the isolation for a closed back IEM is average at best. Another problem is the carrying case. Don't get me wrong. I like the design of the metal brush case, but It's difficult to put the detachable cables in the case with the IEMs. Also, the detachable cables seem a little strange in terms of build quality. While it's rubbery and strong, it seems a bit basic. Overall, I'd say that this IEM has potential, but it needs more adjustments in the mids, treble, dynamics, and accuracy. Otherwise, I'd say not bad to this one.

May 16, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #562 of 627
The biggest issue I had with the tips was that some that I tried other than the stock ones would mess up the sound. Spinfit and Final Type E seem to be OK, not changing much, the latter bringing out more bass.

I have the Cayin N8 here incidentally, and that, with its somewhat "bloomy" tube mode is a nice match with the RE2000, especially with the strong power output.

I'll try the stock tips again.

May 16, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #563 of 627
Due to the short nozzle resulting in shallower insertion it was necessary (at least for me) to use slightly larger eartips than I normally would to get a good fit and seal. Spinfits, which typically work well for me did not do so well with these earphones. In fact, most of the tips I had on hand gave just OK results.

I ended up using Symbio eartips one size larger to get a good fit and have been very happy with the results.

May 16, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #564 of 627
After listening to some music by Instrumental Core and selecting the proper ear tips. I have heard some serious improvements from the same tracks from Instrumental Core.

I used Large Red Core ear tips that came from my Fiio F1.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #565 of 627
I posted this on the tour thread but thought it should go here as well. Some thoughts on the RE2000 that I've had for a few days as part of the tour.

I have to say, these are impressive earphones. They are lively, but not boomy or tiring. The have a great sound-stage, are musical and show off nice detail. A couple of times since I received these I put them aside to listen to other earphones, but that didn't last long. I found myself reaching for the RE2000's and putting other earphones to the side.
I've always been a fan of dynamics done right, back when they first came out, the Sennheiser's IE800's were a favorite of mine. The RE2000's are in a higher league.

The way they present notes is one example of their musically, notes seem to last just a millisecond longer. One can hear certain notes like they are intended, unlike some BA drivers which play the note to quick. This is especially true with acoustic instruments and lower notes in slower electronic compositions. Only the best earphones can master this, and the RE2000's do this flawlessly.

I'm impressed.

Jul 22, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #567 of 627
First impressions... 3 short sessions in. I am finding that as with any IEM, tip choice is critical. These need a tight (deep?) insert to get the best sound quality. My ears tend to rebel at that idea but I was able to find a combination that works for me; medium single flange silicon. Now for obligatory cable rant. I dislike "rubberized" cables. Though this cable tries to lay flat it still ends up looping itself. I prefer an over the ear cable guide as it helps orient the wearer to how to mount these things.

Sources tested so far:
(JRiver) Audio-gd NFB 28.38 + 3.5mm adapter > 6.35mm output. This sounds great but I am distracted by not having it connected via balanced. Will need to switch cable and test that too.
(Plex) Pixel 3 + Topping NX4 > 3.5mm output. May be electronics affecting it but this seems to have more bass.

Well, that is the first impression. Sounds great once you get a good fit.

PS. I realize there are guides in the kit. I am referring to wires with built-in guides.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #568 of 627
I am by no stretch a professional reviewer. I also struggle with describing what I am hearing. Too often I fall back on "it sounds great!" which from me is the highest compliment. The bottom line with the RE2000 Silver is it sounds great. I do have nitpicks about the cable and tips but those are entirely subjective opinions that can be easily overcome by switching out the offending component. In the end its the IEM alone that will be judged on its merits.

How I set them up for my tastes:
Dekoni Bulletz "The Mercury" 4.9mm (size small) tips
Labkable Silver Galaxy II IEM cable, 2-pin to 4.4mm
8-Core Silver Plated 4.4mm to 4-pin XLR adapter
Audio-gd NFB 28.38 (high gain setting, 125 on volume knob)
These are relatively easy to drive to a decent volume.

Songs Used for Review:
Herbie Hancock Dis is Da Drum 16/44 FLAC
"Call it 95"
"Dis is da Drum"
"The Melody (On the Deuce by 44)"
Lower bass a little boomy, not as articulate/detailed as I would like. Percussion has a nice clear attack and short decay. Mids carry Herbie's synth and are clear and musical. There is a lot going on here and the Hifimans hold up in the chaos presenting fairly wide sound stage with space between instruments. Low-end IEMs (and some higher-end too) often get muddled trying to keep track of all the layers of sound playing at the same time. "The Melody" is an old school slower-paced rap-like song with male vocals, loud bass backbeat. These sound a bit boomy again with Herbie's piano a bit recessed.

Herbie Hancock Head Hunters 16/44 FLAC
"Chameleon"
Delivers tight articulate bass guitar as well as kick & snare drum. Nice! Bass is not muddy or muffled. Again lots of diverging instrumentals with layered parts going on here. No smudging of low end, clear and defined details in the mids and highs. Cymbals are there; crisp and clean without being grating.

Aerosmith Get Your Wings 24/96 FLAC
"Same Old Song and Dance"
Vocals clear and out front. The mix is a little light on bass but instruments are coming through with good details. Guitar solos are crisp and clean.

Aerosmith Get a Grip 16/44 FLAC
"Eat the Rich"
"Get a Grip"
There is a good bass guitar riff in "Eat the Rich". I can clearly hear the thwack of the plucked strings. Drums are running this show. Fast attack and nice thwack. Steven's vocals out front and center.

DJ Snake & Lil Jon 16/44 FLAC
"Turn Down for What"
Chits and giggles to test that subwoofer level bass. I have yet to hear an IEM (or headphone for that matter) at any price range that can reproduce that bass line. No replacement for displacement. Still eminently listenable, just not going to rattle your brain cage is all.

My reference points for IEMs include:
currently owned
64 Audio U12t, 64 Audio U4-SE, Massdrop Noble Kaiser 10, Fearless Audio S6Rui
previously owned
Audeze iSINE10, CCA C16, IMR Acoustics R1 Zenith, Fearless Audio S4, BGVP DM6, BGVP DMG, Campfire Audio Comet, Whizzer Kylin A-HE03, Ikko OH1, TFZ Secret Garden, Moondrop Kanas Pro, FiiO FA7, TIN T3, TIN T2 Pro

What someone finds enjoyable in an IEM is, for the most part, an entirely personal/subjective opinion. I do like how the RE2000 Silver sounds. It plays most everything I listen to in an articulate, "true to the source" way. That said, I don't think I would add the Hifiman RE2000 Silver to my collection. Not that it isn't a great sounding IEM. It is just that it doesn't do anything for me that my current stable can't do (or do better in some cases). For someone who doesn't yet have a pair of revealing, articulate higher-end IEMs, these would be an excellent choice. We live in a time of extraordinary variety and choice at every price point in personal audio. Thank you for the opportunity to take a listen to Hifiman's entry in that abundance of choice.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #569 of 627
I've got the RE2000 on loan from HFM and they're very nice IEMs. I posted some initial impressions in the tour thread, but will share here as well. I will be listening and comparing over the next few days to some other IEMs such as the Dita Dream, U18T, Noble Khan and whatever else I have.

I received the tour kit a couple days ago and my initial impressions are very favorable. I have plenty of IEMs to compare to, but at first listen they are in the ballpark of the Dita Dream. Given the physical size of the IEMs, I expected them to feel bulky but they are actually extremely light and comfortable. Oddly enough, the Dita Dream while being smaller in physical footprint is heavier and less comfortable for me.

Sound signature is slight v-shape to my ears with a clean, fast, punchy sub-bass with the right amount of boost or enhancement. There's no mistaking that these are dynamic driver IEMs. Mids are clear and vocals are slightly forward, I wouldn't call any of it recessed. Higher frequencies are crisp and clear while being being easy on the ears and non-sibilant. I feel like the treble sparkle is great, yet it won't bother most people who are sensitive to treble spikes. Overall I like and enjoy the tuning. I need more time to assess the true technical abilities, but just wanted to chime in and mention how impressed I am in the first few days.

-Collin-

Sep 24, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #570 of 627
Going to mirror my post from the tour thread again now that I've had another week with the re2000. Overall very impressed and for the prices currently offered, these should have serious consideration.

Well I have had another week with the re2000 and my initial impressions still stand. In short, the tuning is very close to my ideal signature and on a technical level these perform very high. I love the clean, fast, deep sub-bass without any bleed into the higher frequencies. Mid-bass is properly punchy again without any bleed upward. Mids are forward with vocals sounding powerful, but perhaps slightly less emotional than would be ideal. Upper mids are clear and without obvious enhancements. Treble is nicely extended and sparkly, but with a slightly earlier roll-off than IEMs like the Dita Dream I feel. An easy listen for longer periods of time in comparison to the colder Dita Dream. I mention the Dream a lot because it's another high-end single DD option. Again, comfort has been wonderful for longer listening sessions despite the unconventional size and shape. I think the only area with a little room for improvement is in the timber/tone of the IEMs. They're not the most natural sounding IEMs, but I think that is a result of the tuning and high technical precision. I'm scrambling to nitpick here - overall, I think these are world class IEMs that I would happily own for the $799 sale price in the US right now. Also worth mentioning: these are fairly difficult to drive. I find myself upping the volume on my TA-ZH1ES Sony desktop amp more than on any other IEMs I own with the exception of the AAW Canary.

A few brief comparisons:

UM Mason II: deeper extension and rumble with the re2000 by a fair margin. Overall the Mason is warmer in the mid-bass and mids with vocals sounding a little more emotional and the re2000 sounding a little cleaner with a focus on clarity. Treble sparkle is similar and extension roughly equal. Fit also equal for my ears. Overall a little more natural sounding on the Masons and a cleaner, more clarity-focused sound on the re2000.

Dita Dream: similarly deep extension and rumble in the sub-bass with more mid-bass punch on the re2000. The mid range on the Dream is colder and more neutral with the re2000 being more forward with more up front vocals. Treble extension and sparkle are higher and hotter on the Dream, which might be too much for some listeners. Overall the Dream is precise and flat, while re2000 is enhanced in all the right places (bass and vocals).

Hyla TE-5B: quite a different sound signature here, with the TE-5B having mass bass quantity in the lower registers and fulfilling the bass-head check box. Extension seems deeper on the TE-5B, but this may be biased just based on quantity alone. Mid-bass is still more pronounced on the TE-5B and it's not until the mid-range where similarities finally exist. Vocals are more forward on re2000 to my ears and slightly recessed on the TE-5B in comparison. Treble sparkle is more natural on the re2000 with a higher quantity of sparkle on the TE-5B at the highest end. Overall I think the choice is easy here: if you want a bass-head IEM, consider the TE-5B. If you want something more balanced, coherent and fitting of a wider genre of music, I would go with the re2000.

AAW Canary: the Canary is a new IEM with two DDs, four BAs (I think) and 2 ES tweeters. Starting at the bass, the re2000 surprisingly has deeper and more impactful rumble while the Canary is more controlled and tight. Mid-bass is similar on both and quite punchy, with slightly more quantity on the re2000. Mids are a little more organic and emotional on the Canary while the vocals are more up front and cleaner on the re2000. Treble sparkle is roughly the same in quantity, with a greater degree of smoothness and thickness on the Canary. Separation and imaging are standout features of the Canary here and re2000 trails a bit in those areas, but the re2000 sounds more coherent by virtue of being a single driver. I find more comfort for longer listening sessions on the re2000.

That's all I've got for now - with all of that said, I'll probably purchase the re2000 for myself :) I greatly appreciate the opportunity to try these IEMs @TeamHiFiMAN

-Collin-

P.S. @SLC1966 did HiFiMan ever respond and add you to the tour?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back