The Hifiman RE2000 - a high end dynamic IEM

First

Back
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Next

Last
  1. shigzeo Contributor
  2. Oscar-HiFi
    Interesting about them making a fuss and asking to take it down... that's not good.

I agree the finish could be better and the cable sucks... also they reversed the 2-pin connector so cables with moulded earhooks don't work well, but the overall sound is very pleasing, technical but easy to listen to as you put it perfectly.

3. Mimouille

This is ridiculous. Litterally every owner I know told me the logo will disappear after a short time, and the build was not at 2k level, despite great sound. If Hifiman cannot stomach that, don't send out review units.

HiFiChris, shigzeo and Oscar-HiFi like this.
  4. audionewbi
    The vast majority of China based audio company will send review sample under the condition of positive review, sadly this isn't the first time I've heard this. I have experienced it first hand where I am told to make positive reviews. When I tell them my review condition majority of the time I never heard back from them. The few who do reply back than ask me to give them a read prior to my publication and will suggest editing.

This is why I hardly write reviews anymore, I buy a lot of things now, even from those shady companies, hell they sound good but however based on those bitter interaction I just keep quiet and dont bother reviewing them.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  5. ExpiredLabel
    Disheartening to hear....so close to pulling the trigger on those and saw the closeups of the re2000 provided by @shigzeo wow....so not giving them their asking price lol. Now to find another contender for my 901s. Atm it's looking like fourte might be what I go for since I have managed to try those out thanks to @Barra
    Then again the se5ult ref also looks great, but I haven't been able to demo and am unsure how it would do going from classical, jazz to rock, grindcore and idm/glitch ambient....decisions decisions

6. ostewart
    I've never had this luckily

7. Dobrescu George
    This is interesting, because every single company who asked me to write a review, asked me for a honest input, and no one ever asked me to do a positive review if I didn't feel positive abou the product. In fact, almost no company asked for the draft of the review either, they just went with what I wrote :darthsmile:

I also do complain about sutff though, so I guess that I just didn't speak with the companies who ask only for positive reviews :smile_phones:

B9Scrambler likes this.
  8. shigzeo Contributor
    There's a difference between asking for a 'positive' review, asking for an 'honest' review, and then butting against the review because of specific portions of the review which are negative. There is also a difference in asking a reviewer to focus on sound and not other things like build or finish. All of those are signs of a non-honest review request.

9. audionewbi
    There are certain brands which after having a review which they approve would go and buy likes and rating from various sellers who sell such services.

Shigzeo for any company who doubt your work it is their loss.

Only when I read your review and few others that I actually stop everything, brew myself some of my favourite tea and engage in reading. Your artistic review style is unique and it is one of the few review style (similar to Darko from DAR) that cant be emulated.

10. Brooko Contributor
    Really good review - easy read, and nailed it IMO. Top sound, questionable things like ergonomics - although my pair didn't have the same issues with finish yours did. Must be some variation in their build process. For me the RE2000 were finished really well, the RE800 had some imperfections in the final finish.

On the below two comments - while I absolutely agree with what you're saying, I've had only a couple of companies question me about my reviews. One of them was HiFiMan (different product though) - but it wasn't "the Company" as such - but an overzealous rep who wanted to read the review before posting (for accuracy), and then later suggested we could "make an arrangement" if the review was positive. I was a Moderator at the time - so discussed with the Mod and Admin team here, and they advised me to contact Fang directly. Turns out he (or their senior management) knew nothing about it, and their policy is to never engage in those sorts of practises. He quickly had me reassigned to one of their senior Sales Managers and the guy who made the errors was retrained. Their reaction was quick, firm and very professional. Sorry to hear you didn't receive the same.

I'd just like to suggest that people do make mistakes, and when generalisations are made about either a company or a country, sometimes it can be just an individual (acting incorrectly). For my part - virtually all of the companies I've personally dealt with (reviewing) from Asia have been exemplary in the way they have interacted with me. The ones that stand out for me are FiiO, Dunu, LZ, VE and Cayin, but I could name 1/2 a dozen others who have also been above reproach. All of them have always encouraged me to list the bad with the good, and not sugar-coat anything. They recognise the reviews as also a chance to get constructive feedback to better their products.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    HiFiChris likes this.
  11. Dobrescu George
    My requests always look like: Do as you like, just be honest. I try my best to be honest at all times to be honest. My sample of RE2000 presents no issues in any way actually, and I am a bit intrigued that the previous one had those things. Maybe it was a very early pre-production sample (?)

At any rate, judging RE2000 by what I have in my hands, it is a golden IEM. I can't question any part of it really, and I love their sound.

12. Brooko Contributor
    Yes - but how much experience do you have with a wide variety of earphones - and especially in the $800 up range? This isn't a critique of you either - experience comes with time. It brings perspective. I can guarantee that you'll become more critical as you progress as a reviewer. And part of this will include looking at some designs, and some finishes, and then looking at the price and asking yourself "what were they thinking".

Or maybe thats just grumpy cynical old me ........

13. Dobrescu George
    I have a few in the 800$+ price range actually.

I question some designs already, but none of them ever got in my hands for a review. Since I don't have the product, I can't question something like Andromedas and their comfort, but from photos, I really wonder how they feel in practice since they have lots of sharp angles. RE2000 has only smooth angles and my ears work quite well with them, even after having 20+ IEMs, RE2000 is among the more comfortable ones for me.

14. audionewbi
    For me 2017 was a bad year, the more I learn about the companies, their rivalries, the actual R&D cost and actual MSRP of most of our high end gears the less I become hopeful of audio company. However 2017 is over and hopefully 2018 becomes a better year for portable audio world.

15. PinkyPowers
    I've also had an over-all positive experience with companies. None so far have pressured me to give a positive review.

Oddly enough, the worst experience I've had was with HiFiMAN. I wrote a mixed review on the RE800, coming down fairly hard on it in one aspect. HiFiMAN's PR guy did not ask me to tone down any of the criticism, but did take issue with my interpretation of our interactions over email. When I stood my ground and kept my review as is, I never heard from him again. I assured him it was all meant in good spirit and that sort of story element is integral to my style. But I guess he doesn't like my style.
    :dizzy_face:

Brooko and HiFiChris like this.
First

Back
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Next

Last