The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jul 25, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #5,686 of 6,853
Still dealing with the aftermath of so many years of being tethered to iTunes though. Anyone’s best recommendation for a music handling program/app/ whatever to support getting in line with current times.?.

With the Hiby R3, this can be used like an external hard drive. I plug mine in to the usb and then drag and drop music files.

Also, if you have music that you've purchased from itunes and believe it's not possible to transfer these to the Hiby R3, there's good news. There's a program called Sharepod that will provide you with 'ownership of these particular music files and allow you to do as you wish.
https://getsharepod.com

Also, if you use itunes to edit your ID tags, there's a user friendly alternative program called MP3 tag tools that I've been using for years.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/massid3lib/

Jul 26, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #5,688 of 6,853
Got my R3 earlier today. Gotta say, I'm a little disappointed.

I should have expected it from such a small player, but the sound is pretty lifeless compared to my Onkyo DP-X1A.

I've been messing with the settings for hours, and it just doesn't have the impact. My Onkyo makes me crave listening to music because it sounds so good.

Don't get me wrong, this definitely doesn't sound bad... but it's just not the quality that I'm used to.

I'll probably end up returning it unless somebody has some tricks.

Edit: maybe I just need to spring for the R6? Is the sound quality significantly better?

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #5,689 of 6,853

I should have expected it from such a small player, but the sound is pretty lifeless compared to my Onkyo DP-X1A.

I've been messing with the settings for hours, and it just doesn't have the impact. My Onkyo makes me crave listening to music because it sounds so good.

Don't get me wrong, this definitely doesn't sound bad... but it's just not the quality that I'm used to.

Edit: maybe I just need to spring for the R6? Is the sound quality significantly better?

If you are so happy with the Onkyo, why not just stick with it?
The R3 is smaller, but I don't see the advantage of the R6 over the Onkyo. Similar size and price, and maybe similar SQ as well?

But you could pair the R3 with a Chord Mojo :)
IMG_8073.JPG IMG_8070.JPG IMG_8266.JPG

Jul 26, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #5,690 of 6,853

Have tried using the Mage Sound 8Ball?

Jul 26, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #5,691 of 6,853
If you are so happy with the Onkyo, why not just stick with it?
The R3 is smaller, but I don't see the advantage of the R6 over the Onkyo. Similar size and price, and maybe similar SQ as well?

But you could pair the R3 with a Chord Mojo :)

The only reason I'm looking for an Onkyo replacement is that the charging port is slowly dying. I have to wiggle the cable in a very specific way to get it to charge. One day I'm sure it will stop charging all together.

Jul 26, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #5,693 of 6,853
. I have both the M11 and the R3.Of course the M11 is more powerful and has a stronger SQ but the Hiby has excellent SQ for a small player I use on the go. You might try burning it in for a few days. I did this with both my M11 and R3 and perhaps its just wishful thinking but they both sounded better after the burn in. Worth a shot since it won't hurt anything.

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #5,694 of 6,853
Yes. I will try some more though.

I did not get happy with the M8B or the equalizer, I find the R3 to sound the best with all signal processing off.
Especially obvious with the Mojo, but also directly from the R3.

Regarding the defective charging connector ob the Onkyo, that is a pity, such a nice player. No chance to get it fixed?

Jul 27, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #5,697 of 6,853
Ran the R3 while working in the shop today, first time bluetoothed to shop speakers. It seems to be settling in sound wise, improved greatly thanks to the multitude of of tweaks available onboard.
Since loading music files, artwork was spotty. So, oddly enough, the tracks missing artwork started flawlessly and the tracks with artwork stuttered when beginning.
Brings me to firmware. Without scouring thread end to end, perhaps the initiated can chime here for the old man .....
Hiby’s list of firmware updates is several. Do all need to be loaded individually, or is only the latest required to cover them all?
Sorry guys, I’ll be up on this shortly,just not too proud to beg.

Jul 27, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #5,698 of 6,853
I was wondering that too. I just tried the most recent firmware, and I got an error and it didn't install. Maybe they do all have to be loaded individually.

I probably shouldn't mess with it though since I will probably return it. Not sure what Amazon's open box policy is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back