The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jun 13, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #5,596 of 6,859
@Bio-Rhythm Its the EE MusicData Pass, but like everything these days it appears to have gone up in price to £7.99 but that is inc VAT. It can be added to any pay monthly contract.

Also I forget not everybody has good 4G coverage in the UK. Its not too bad down here where I am, but when I stream HiFi Tidal in the car I do get occasional drop-outs too.

The R3 is not an Android OS DAP so it can't install and run APK's If you want something as compact and light as the R3 with Android, WiFi and Tidal/Qobuz offline capability then I think the choice is very limited.

Jun 15, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #5,597 of 6,859
When using a USB-C to micro-USB cable (Shanling L2 or FIIO CL06) the volume control of the R3 does not affect the digital signal - it does not work.
IMO this is good, since it means that the digital signal processor of the R3 is bypassed and the bit-perfect data is streamed to the Mojo.
You can still activate the MSEB or EQ on the R3 and it will change the digital signal, but I can clearly hear a loss in sound quality when the R3 is altering the original digital data.

The Auto-Off function does not work with the USB cable.

Sound of the USB cable is more "open" while the coax cable sounds a bit smoother.
I suspect that this is a difference between the inputs on the Mojo side, but I am not sure.
Hi.
I need some help.
I am using R3 only as a transport usb-c out to an Idsd micro black, but with the following problems:
1. I feel that I am not getting bit perfect out because I could not play176.4 or 352.8 without mass distortion contrary to USB connected to computer with jRiver.
2. The volume control on R3 does alter the volume on Idsd.
3 The volume is lower on R3 out to Idsd than jRiver- compu out to Idsd.
4 I feel that using R3 out is not as clean as computer out.
I wrote to both hiby and music tech, but their answers were of no help.
The user manual is almost usless.
Am I doing something wrong, or is it really not bit perfect?
Any help would be welcome
Mike

Jun 16, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #5,598 of 6,859
Hi.
I need some help.
I am using R3 only as a transport usb-c out to an Idsd micro black, but with the following problems:
1. I feel that I am not getting bit perfect out because I could not play176.4 or 352.8 without mass distortion contrary to USB connected to computer with jRiver.
Mike

Which cable are you using? For me, only the USB-C/3,5mm coax cable is affected by the R3’s volume control. USB-C/micro USB is not.
Do you have EQ and MSEB switched off?
And are you sure your PC is not manipulating the data?

Jun 16, 2019 at 3:09 AM Post #5,599 of 6,859
Hi.
I need some help.
Mike
It will be bit perfect if you have all effects switched off and volume to max (100) (default max is 80, need to change in settings). Can you try that?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 16, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #5,600 of 6,859
It will be bit perfect if you have all effects switched off and volume to max (100) (default max is 80, need to change in settings). Can you try that?
Yes. MSEB and EQ off, and volume at 100%.
I am using a USB-C to USB Dragontail cable.
I have no problem with 176.4 or 352.8 using computer-jriver out to IDSD but with R3 I had to convert to 192 and 384 to not have distortion.
If it is bit perfect why would múltiples of 192 and DXD 352.8 not go straight through? (I understand that R3 does not process DXD but shouldn't it be acting only as a transport?
Thanks

Jun 17, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #5,601 of 6,859
Yes. MSEB and EQ off, and volume at 100%.
I am using a USB-C to USB Dragontail cable.
I have no problem with 176.4 or 352.8 using computer-jriver out to IDSD but with R3 I had to convert to 192 and 384 to not have distortion.
If it is bit perfect why would múltiples of 192 and DXD 352.8 not go straight through? (I understand that R3 does not process DXD but shouldn't it be acting only as a transport?
Thanks

R3 supported formats listed here https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-r3
176.4 or 352.8 not supported.

Jun 20, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #5,603 of 6,859
Jun 20, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #5,604 of 6,859
Installed the new version which appears to be 3.3b1. I can only connect my Bluetooth phones with the sbc codec...whatever codec that is. If I try any other codec I get the cannot play-error 13. Anyone else having same issues?
Thanks
Jason

That's the standard bluetooth codec. I had to switch to that otherwise the R3 crashes, but in my case that was what I should have been on anyway. Not sure if any aptX people are having issues too...

Jun 28, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #5,608 of 6,859
Apologies if this has already been asked, but is it possible to queue nested folders in Folder/File view?
For example, say I have a folder structure like Music -> Artists -> Albums, can I just queue up the Music folder, and then the structure is maintained in the playlist?
I'm trying to replicate the behavior from foobar2k, if that helps.

Jul 1, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #5,609 of 6,859
Though some postings here, I've read a few that (like myself as well) would like to see firmware implementation for Various Artists.

In the meantime, I can offer a bit of a work-around, but this can be a little bit time consuming.

Here's an example of how I did mine.
I'm a fan of a genre of music called "Power-Pop." The problem is, I have five home made volumes and each folder contains about 25 songs. This would be over 100 different artist's - which I would not want scattered and to clog up my "Artist" view option.
After all, the purpose of a "various artists" section is so we can play these various artists with some continuity. Here's the work-around.

This will require editing the ID tags.
Under the heading of "Artist" I renamed their individual names all to "Various Artists." This means that under the heading of "artist" view, my DAP will recognize a (so-called) 'group' called "Various Artists"
Under the Album option, you'll want to provide a unique title per LP/CD etc.... For, me each of the five folders in my various artist collection is "power-pop Vol 01", "power-pop vol 02" etc...The Album title will then reside as a sub folder under the "artist/group" called "Various Artists"
Under the song title option, you'll need to add the artists' name in addition to the song title. This way, when a song is played, you'll not only see the song title, but this will also be accompanied with the applicable group as well.

It can get a little time consuming and I hope that future firmware will address the various artist issue. Until it's been fixed, the above method will at least serve as an option.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back