The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Mar 22, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #5,311 of 6,857
Whose sound do you prefer, the EarStudio or the R3?

I haven't listened to the R3 without using the EarStudio for any meaning-full period of time I am afraid. EarStudio is such a great device it's been pointless. Stays connected to my R3 and iPhone simultaneously. LDAC on EarStudio and R3 does the job for me of providing wired sound experience, tbh tho I don't notice any different with iPhone via Earstudio or R3 via EarStudio with LDAC on. It's great with both.

EDIT: Headphones - Sony XBAN3AP.CE7

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #5,312 of 6,857
Is it just me or does this player sound thinned out even with "Dark/Details set at 75% it is still rolled off. Another thing where are the filters for this dac? Is the amped Rail to Rail malayasia junk? For $250 they must of focused on everything besides the sound, But dont get me wrong compared to the K2m dac with it's old school analog sound q2m see's dsp much more better than before.

Mar 23, 2019 at 3:09 AM Post #5,313 of 6,857
I haven't listened to the R3 without using the EarStudio for any meaning-full period of time I am afraid. EarStudio is such a great device it's been pointless. Stays connected to my R3 and iPhone simultaneously. LDAC on EarStudio and R3 does the job for me of providing wired sound experience, tbh tho I don't notice any different with iPhone via Earstudio or R3 via EarStudio with LDAC on. It's great with both.

EDIT: Headphones - Sony XBAN3AP.CE7
Thanks for the clarification. I like the R3's sound but was looking for something even more portable with the same (or better) sound quality.

Hiby is going to release a Bluetooth receiver soon but I don't know when it's going to be available in my country. Hopefully soon so I can compare it with the EarStudio.

Mar 23, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #5,314 of 6,857
Firmware 3.0 (Custom with Qobuz and eBooks):

3.0 International ver. (from Kickstarter);
3.0 Chinese ver. (from JD and so on, rename the file to r3.upt before updating)

Changes regarding the stock version:
1. corrected translation (Russian and English),
2. replaced the font with a new one from XVortex,
3. customized both themes (some pictures, icons, their locations, etc. were replaced), increased font size in some places. Main screen in second theme is based on the Hexagon theme from Steven Van Geert (see FB HiBy thread),
4. repaired choosing colors sliders in the second theme,
5. added a stepcounter to the side menu,
6. added adb (Android Debug Bridge),
7. replaced the index page when connected to PC via Wi-Fi (now always in English), plus changed sort order (folders go first, then files, in order of names: at the beginning the numbers, then Latin, then Russian) and following file formats have been added: upt, txt, log, and t,
8. added a radio to the top bar and replaced the built-in chinese radio stations (40 stations now), others you can persanally add to radio.txt file and put it in the root of your sd card,
9. all binary files have been striped,
10. optimized all *png files,
11. removed unnecessary files and folders that are not used,
12. extended database limit to 65000.

Books should be saved in /book directory in the root of SD card in *.txt format only.

P.S. latest update 10.03.19

Thanks. been using it for some time. Only the font seems big, is this new in 3.0 firmware?

Mar 23, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #5,315 of 6,857
Thanks. been using it for some time. Only the font seems big, is this new in 3.0 firmware?

The font in original fw is ugly and useless for me (small font is very tiny, but middle font is rather big), so I deided to use new font from XVortex (he created font especially for r3). I use small font in r3 and it’s enough to normal using player. It should be better if I can customize system font size but I didn’t found how to do this...

Mar 23, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #5,316 of 6,857
The font in original fw is ugly and useless for me (small font is very tiny, but middle font is rather big), so I deided to use new font from XVortex (he created font especially for r3). I use small font in r3 and it’s enough to normal using player. It should be better if I can customize system font size but I didn’t found how to do this...

ok, a little big but better than stock firmware.

I wish they had search artist or album artist view. Must admit ive looked at the fiio m6, but theres also issues there.
Main reason for wanting something other is artist search-sorting and stronger bluetooth. (qualcomm bluetooth 5.0)

Mar 24, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #5,317 of 6,857

I also want to customize all UI of Hiby R3 too!!! Hiby R3 OS based on Linux, does anyone have ideas to mod that?

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #5,318 of 6,857
What is wrong with the wifi chip in this thing? MQA and even some FLAC files on Tidal are unlistenable because of the constant buffering and skipping. Do I have a faulty unit or did they really pick the worst wifi chip they could find despite advertising this as an internet streaming DAP?

Mar 25, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #5,319 of 6,857
What is wrong with the wifi chip in this thing? MQA and even some FLAC files on Tidal are unlistenable because of the constant buffering and skipping. Do I have a faulty unit or did they really pick the worst wifi chip they could find despite advertising this as an internet streaming DAP?

Have you tried to upgrade firmware to 3.0? Its contain some fixed about Tidal :)

Mar 25, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #5,320 of 6,857
Have you tried to upgrade firmware to 3.0? Its contain some fixed about Tidal :)
Firmware is up to date. It's pretty much impossible to listen to MQA streams without it freezing up. Regular FLAC streams are also extremely hit and miss. Not only does the stream freeze, usually the entire device becomes unresponsive.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #5,321 of 6,857
Is anyone else having error 5003 when trying to play Tidal songs? I currently have the regular subscription and keep getting this error message saying I don't have the required subscription to listen to that sound quality. All songs appear as high-res.

Mar 29, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #5,322 of 6,857
With my balanced Meze 99 Classics, I, with my early impressions of the R3, already prefer its sonical characteristics over Shanling's flagship M5s that I've had for months now and is double the price. :L3000:

I'm actually quite very surprised at the moment.

Mar 30, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #5,323 of 6,857
Bought my R3 on Amazon this morning. If I want to connect the R3 to my Schiit DAC, I need to purchase that C to RCA coax cord on Amazon, Correct? When connected I can then play HiRez files from R3 to DAC?
Last question. Can I connect R3 to my car system USB port or do I just need to BT or 3.5 cable connect it?

Mar 30, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #5,324 of 6,857
Anyone's 3.5mm connector loose fitting? Also my 2.5mm is intermittent. I have to hold it to get audio out of both channels.

My R3 doesn't have these problems. Then again, it is only two days old, so I'll be sure to update my post if this changes.

Apr 1, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #5,325 of 6,857
Regarding Mqa on the R3.
Does anyone have an idea or information about how often the r3 can "unfold" mqa files?
Is it once, like phones as iPhone, or is ist 2 or 3 times as real hardware decoders?

I did not find any information about this, even hiby doesn't reply .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back