The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jan 19, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #5,086 of 6,859
Lol of course I can. Sony gets a lot of things right. That doesn't mean I should expect less of a similarly priced device, particularly when said device is advertised as high-res. Imo that EQ not being able to work with hi-res music files is a big-time fail from Hiby - mainly because the high-res claim is misleading. I never once heard or read from Hiby the R3 didn't have that capability.

Agreed. I'm not a huge fan of poopooing and negativity but when something's (still) not right, it needs to be pointed out. Maybe not underhanded but lying by omission? Is that fair? Considering Hiby is well established in this industry as a software provider should surely excuse them less from such comparisons? But is this because of hardware limitation? If so, there's no point dwelling on it. In times like these, it is best to draw wisdom from the words of a Hawaiian champion:-

"It is what it is".
-Max "Blessed" Holloway

p.s. A55 is markedly cheaper than R3 in UK right now.

Jan 20, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #5,087 of 6,859
My R3 came with a much nicer USB-C cable than the white ones I've seen on the Internet/YT.
unnamed.jpg

Jan 21, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #5,088 of 6,859
downgrading the firmware to 2.01 has not improved anything on the bluetooth end, nor the usb storage end.

2.01 behaves exactly the same as 2.1 did.

Bluetooth - car radio will connect, announce that "hibyr3" is connected.
car unit shows now playing, title, artist, album.
cannot start the song to play, either from the car stereo, or from the R3 itself.
have tired the other modes (SBC, APT-X, etc) the only difference is that using APT-X, the car unit does not
announce the player name, but more like a hexadecimal set of numbers...

a couple of times, the R3 hung up, and had to be reset by holding down the power button.

has anyone encountered this behaviour before? maybe with different hardware?

Car stereo is a Nissan 2015 factory unit.
other bluetooth devices (phones, etc) connect to the car stereo...
R3 - can connect successfully to powered speakers, and to my home receiver's bluetooth.

thanks

Jan 22, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #5,090 of 6,859
Want to share something curious - I love my Chord Mojo and didn't like the sound from the HiBy R3 until now, found it a little over-processed and with brittle/grainy treble.
I had been listening to the stack with my NightHawk and NightOwl headphones, the B&O H6 and Pinnacle P1 IEMs.

Recently I bought the Moondrop Kanas Pro IEM, and have used them with the R3/Mojo stack for more than 2 weeks. Somehow it sounded too smooth, and I tried the R3 directly. And the combination of Kanas Pro (KPE) and HiBy R3 is really good! Punchy and deep bass, smooth mids and more energy and bite in the treble, without being harsh!

What a nice pairing!

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #5,092 of 6,859
I heard about the R3 a few weeks ago, and it looked like it did everything I want from a mobile DAP (well, except battery life, but it is not alone in that category), so I ordered it and here it is. But it will not turn on no matter what I do, I tried pressing the power button for 10 seconds quite a few times, leaving it plugged for a long time, I put a new firmware on the sdcard and pressed the key combination but it still won't do anything.

In effect, I have a $200 paperweight that heats up over usb-c. I have tried to email the support these last days but I have not yet gotten a reply; what should I do?

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #5,093 of 6,859
I heard about the R3 a few weeks ago, and it looked like it did everything I want from a mobile DAP (well, except battery life, but it is not alone in that category), so I ordered it and here it is. But it will not turn on no matter what I do, I tried pressing the power button for 10 seconds quite a few times, leaving it plugged for a long time, I put a new firmware on the sdcard and pressed the key combination but it still won't do anything.

In effect, I have a $200 paperweight that heats up over usb-c. I have tried to email the support these last days but I have not yet gotten a reply; what should I do?

That's really disappointing and frustrating.
Where did you buy it? I guess it really depends who the seller was - you'll likely have to file a warranty case with him.
Hope you'll get it resolved well and quickly.

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #5,094 of 6,859
That's really disappointing and frustrating.
Where did you buy it? I guess it really depends who the seller was - you'll likely have to file a warranty case with him.
Hope you'll get it resolved well and quickly.
I bought it on the hiby store so I'm hoping for a reply from them first before filing a warranty case (and having to ship it all the way back to china with my own money).

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #5,095 of 6,859
Is anyone seeing this album track display issue when they use the R3 to stream Tidal albums? The first picture is taken from July of this year with an older firmware level. The second picture is from today - December 6, 2018.

The older firmware (picture #1) used to display both the track name and the artist name. Now with the latest R3 firmware v2.01 I have running the album art view only displays the artist name. (Picture #2)

This only happens when I am streaming Tidal albums. If I am playing my local FLAC files then the album art screen correctly displays both artist and track name.

@Joe Bloggs is there any chance that Hiby support will be addressing the above issue in an upcoming firmware release? I contacted Hiby Service on December 6, 2018 and sent them the attached pictures of the "Now Playing" album cover view of the R3. In the older versions of R3 firmware when streaming Tidal you would see the "track name" and below that the "artist name." Now all you see on the "Now Playing" screen view is the "artist name," but no "track name." When listening to new music on Tidal its nice to know the name of the song being played and not have to scroll back to the album screen with all of the tracks listed every single time. When you play your local files the "Now Playing" screen shows the "track name" and below that the "artist name." It's only when streaming from Tidal where you no longer have the "track name" appearing.

I received a reply from Hiby Service the next day after I sent the e-mail, saying they would look into it and get back to me at a later date. It's now been over a month and a half and I have yet to hear anything from them. I realize this is a "nice to have" feature and not a show stopper, but none the less something I think should be able to be fixed, since it used to work.

I'm hoping now that you are back at Hiby that you can communicate with your product team. I appreciate all of your informative posts and support you provide Hiby Customers.

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #5,096 of 6,859
@Joe Bloggs is there any chance that Hiby support will be addressing the above issue in an upcoming firmware release? I contacted Hiby Service on December 6, 2018 and sent them the attached pictures of the "Now Playing" album cover view of the R3. In the older versions of R3 firmware when streaming Tidal you would see the "track name" and below that the "artist name." Now all you see on the "Now Playing" screen view is the "artist name," but no "track name." When listening to new music on Tidal its nice to know the name of the song being played and not have to scroll back to the album screen with all of the tracks listed every single time. When you play your local files the "Now Playing" screen shows the "track name" and below that the "artist name." It's only when streaming from Tidal where you no longer have the "track name" appearing.

I received a reply from Hiby Service the next day after I sent the e-mail, saying they would look into it and get back to me at a later date. It's now been over a month and a half and I have yet to hear anything from them. I realize this is a "nice to have" feature and not a show stopper, but none the less something I think should be able to be fixed, since it used to work.

I'm hoping now that you are back at Hiby that you can communicate with your product team. I appreciate all of your informative posts and support you provide Hiby Customers.

MAK1975

I was having a similar problem, not with Tidal, but with Mp3's.
This was with the latest firmware on their website - 2.1
The player would advance to the next song, but display the previous artwork. It would update the artwork after 1 minute approximately.
If "A" song was playing with correct artwork, pressing "next" would advance to "B", with "A's" artwork, a second press of "next" would advance to song "C"
but showing song "A" artwork. Artwork would not change to song "C" artwork, advance on it's own to "D", and then after approx. one minute it would show "D" artwork.

I didn't get any assistance from HiBy support - attempted emails, and even Facebook messages.

I decided to downgrade the firmware to 2.01 - and the album art display is now working properly.

There are some other problems, but I am now leaning towards an incompatibility with my car's stereo.

I'm hoping someone on this forum can shed some light on these and other issues.

Jan 23, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #5,097 of 6,859
I bought it on the hiby store so I'm hoping for a reply from them first before filing a warranty case (and having to ship it all the way back to china with my own money).
Best of luck getting Hiby support to replace your R3. Unfortunately it may take awhile for you to get this resolved.

I was an early backer of their R3 campaign. When my R3 showed up, the 2.5mm balanced headphone port was bad on arrival. I contacted service@hiby.com explaining the issue, they recognized the problem and gave me their shipping address to ship back to Hong Kong. The only way they would service it was for me to ship it back at my expense. It cost me $50 US dollars to ship the R3 back to them for repair. Once I shipped it back, it took a total of about 1 month for them to receive it, repair it, and then ship it back to me. They paid the return shipping back to the US.

To their credit, Hiby did fix the port and now it works flawlessly. However, it was a major pain to ship back to them and was an extra cost I had to adsorb.

Hiby has no in country support, unless you were to buy from a local Audio shop in your area that carries their products. Since you bought from their website, you will have to work directly with them. Hopefully you can convince them to ship you a brand new R3 and have them send you a prepaid label to ship the bad unit back.

It seems like most of their campaign backers got good working R3s, but I was one of the unlucky ones.

I think Hiby has developed some really great products and I really love the R3 as an ultra portable player. You definitely get a lot of value for your money as far as features and they have one of the better software user interfaces in the industry. Unfortunately, they need to improve their product support and taking care of their customer after the sale is over.

Best of luck to you in getting a replacement R3.

Jan 23, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #5,098 of 6,859
What is the email you emailed hiby with and which email of ours did you email? service@hiby.com or?

Noted with thanks!

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 24, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #5,100 of 6,859
I've searched this thread for Hidiz AP200 comparisons but there's barely any so I thought I'd ask if anyone can share their views if they've used both. I'm specifically looking for a warmer, bassier DAP, not too neutral. I've read the AP200 is supposed to be better overall but the R3 sounds warmer. What do I go with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back