The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jan 8, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #5,026 of 6,857
The update did not resolve the issue where most Tidal MQA tracks still play as FLAC.

Hiby writes to me that they have not gotten permission from Tidal to play their MQA titles on the R3. I don't know why that should be an issue. It could only help to broaden Tidal's customer base by offering MQA on the R3. I keep waiting too. It will be icing on the cake for me when Tidal MQA finally does play on the R3.

Jan 8, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #5,027 of 6,857
Hiby writes to me that they have not gotten permission from Tidal to play their MQA titles on the R3. I don't know why that should be an issue. It could only help to broaden Tidal's customer base by offering MQA on the R3. I keep waiting too. It will be icing on the cake for me when Tidal MQA finally does play on the R3.

I just wrote a note to Tidal asking them to offer their MQA albums on the R3.

Jan 8, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #5,028 of 6,857
I figured out the issue and it's now resolved. I went to my SD card folder and noticed I had copied a single jpg file of that album cover in the directory. I deleted the file and when I unplugged my R3 from the USB cable all of my album art covers reappeared correctly. That one jpg file must have confused the Hiby App and caused it to overide all of the other album covers that are part of each FLAC file. So glad this is resolved.
Did you have all of your music in one directory with no subdirectories, or was the spurious JPEG in the root folder that everything else branched from?

Jan 8, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #5,029 of 6,857
The strange thing is that some DO play in the MQA format but not most. I think someone else on here cracked the code and discovered that if an MQA album has a non-MQA equivalent, the track will default to the latter but if there is only an MQA exclusive it will decode in full MQA (pseudo) lossless hi-res glory. I don’t get it.

Jan 8, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #5,030 of 6,857
The strange thing is that some DO play in the MQA format but not most. I think someone else on here cracked the code and discovered that if an MQA album has a non-MQA equivalent, the track will default to the latter but if there is only an MQA exclusive it will decode in full MQA (pseudo) lossless hi-res glory. I don’t get it.

I just wrote to Tidal encouraging them to allow full MQA streaming on the Hiby R3. If more people do that, they will permit it. They should. I've been a loyal Tidal fan for quite a while. They should want to please their customers.

Here's the reply:
Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to TIDAL Support!

I have forwarded your feedback to our Product department, which we meet up with once a week to discuss our customer feedback in detail.

I can't provide you with an immediate response to confirm the status of your request. But, as said, do know that we truly appreciated your feedback and use it to help shape TIDAL to fit the wants and needs of our TIDAL members.
In the meantime, feel free to send an email to feedback@tidalsupport.zendesk.com if you have any additional feedback.

Thank you for being a TIDAL Member!

Best Regards,

Annette
TIDAL Team Lead

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #5,032 of 6,857
Are there still the silver/gray R3s out there ?
Any whispers of an R4 with ES9038KM coming soon ?

Jan 9, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #5,033 of 6,857
Where did you guys find your custom themes? I'd like to try them out.

Yh. While we're on the subject, how does one make a custom ui? I asked before but seemed to have fallen through the cracks. My own background would be hella cool

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #5,034 of 6,857
I was thinking about buying a R3 (or a hidizs ap60 pro) for a transport for my Mojo.
So questions for r3-Mojo users
Does the Mojo light white led when you play dsd files (when transport is made by usb and no coaxial)
The r3 works as USB transport with no problem with every USB DAC?
I think about the wifi. Is it very useful and for what uses
Thanks

Jan 9, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #5,035 of 6,857
With MQA is the R3 now considered an MQA "renderer"? Meaning if I set it up as a USB dac would it unwrap the final MQA fold like an Audioquest dragonfly? or does the MQA compatibility just mean it will recognize and play MQA files but will only render them through the first MQA fold as any standard DAC would?

Jan 10, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #5,037 of 6,857
I'm going to buy Hiby R3 and i'd like to know if it works well with Ibasso IT01 audiophile in-ear monitors, or they need of an Amp.
Thanks in advance.
As with pretty much all the other IEMs the iBasso is only 16ohm and sensitivity seems to be high too, so the Hiby is more than enough. It even has 2 gain levels. Except for lack of Spotify support I find no fault with this DAP

Jan 10, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #5,039 of 6,857
I just wrote to Tidal encouraging them to allow full MQA streaming on the Hiby R3. If more people do that, they will permit it. They should. I've been a loyal Tidal fan for quite a while. They should want to please their customers.

Here's the reply:
Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to TIDAL Support!

I have forwarded your feedback to our Product department, which we meet up with once a week to discuss our customer feedback in detail.

I can't provide you with an immediate response to confirm the status of your request. But, as said, do know that we truly appreciated your feedback and use it to help shape TIDAL to fit the wants and needs of our TIDAL members.
In the meantime, feel free to send an email to feedback@tidalsupport.zendesk.com if you have any additional feedback.

Thank you for being a TIDAL Member!

Best Regards,

Annette
TIDAL Team Lead

I received my Hiby R3 this week and I haven't had issues playing Tidal MQA yet, but that was streaming via mConnect controlled by my phone. Haven't checked with playing Tidal MQA directly from the R3 yet tho.

Jan 10, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #5,040 of 6,857
I'm going to buy Hiby R3 and i'd like to know if it works well with Ibasso IT01 audiophile in-ear monitors, or they need of an Amp.
Thanks in advance.

The IT01's go great with the R3 and, at least to my ears, don't need any MSEB or EQ adding. Tempting to get a 2.5mm balanced MMCX cable to try them that way but not sure it's worth it. For the other headphones used with it (Senn HD25, EMX500 buds, UM Merlin, ATH-WS990BT) they need a little bass help via MSEB but not the IT01's. To my ears at least.

Wouldn't worry about an amp - the R3 drives them loud halfway on low gain.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back