The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Sep 20, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #4,415 of 6,857
I can log on to Tidal and browse the music. Just can't play any of it. I've tried other SD cards. Still no luck.

Is your internet connection to the R3 behind a firewall? I wonder if that may be the reason nothing will play on Tidal?
No. Not behind a firewall. I've tried in multiple locations

Damn. It sounds like a permission error you’re getting when you try and play Tidal music and I thought that may have be been causing the problem.

Sep 20, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #4,417 of 6,857
Update to 1.4 doesn't work.

I tried OTA several times and finally today it downloaded, but then gave a v_v file error. I checked the SD card and the file was 0 bytes. Checked and restored the SD card in Windows, removed the empty file.
Tried OTA update again, same error.

I also tried the links provided earlier, including the downloaded Chinese version, but that didn't work either.

Any ideas?

BTW I updated earlier, both OTA and via download to the SD card, and it worked fine.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #4,419 of 6,857
Update to 1.4 doesn't work.

I tried OTA several times and finally today it downloaded, but then gave a v_v file error. I checked the SD card and the file was 0 bytes. Checked and restored the SD card in Windows, removed the empty file.
Tried OTA update again, same error.

I also tried the links provided earlier, including the downloaded Chinese version, but that didn't work either.

Any ideas?

IMO it's probably for the best. For those that have been able to download it, I've seen reports of other base features being broken. I'm personally going to wait for a bit and see how the update is received (once it's been able to be more widely disseminated).

Sep 20, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #4,422 of 6,857
IMO it's probably for the best. For those that have been able to download it, I've seen reports of other base features being broken. I'm personally going to wait for a bit and see how the update is received (once it's been able to be more widely disseminated).
Thanks, you're probably right. I enjoy my R3 at the moment, it does what I want, so why mess with it... :wink:

Sep 20, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #4,423 of 6,857
I recall reading earlier that certain wireless networks impact Tidal functionality (better on 5GHz than 2.4GHz).

Having said that, I find it’s more intermittent - rather being a per-song issue. Some play, some don’t. Some need to be selected 3-4 times before playing.

Highly frustrating either way.

PS. OTA firmware upgrade worked fine.

Sep 20, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #4,424 of 6,857
Has anyone been able to get HiBy link to work on the R3? I've tried on multiple Android devices all with no luck.

On the Android end - I've got the device in bluetooth discoverable mode, and in the HiBy app, I have it in HiByLink Client mode.
On the HiBy R3, I have both bluetooth enabled, as well as the thing in the top right (I don't know what some of those icons are, couldn't find any documentation on them).

In all cases, it tries to connect for a while, then shows the error 'Unknown remote device, connection failed!'

The combination of LDAC support and HiBy link were among the main reasons I got the device, but HiBy link doesn't seem to be working at all :frowning2:

Edit: Looks like you need to go into wireless settings => bluetooth => after enabling bluetooth, a host of extra options come up. One of them is HiBy link. Huzzah :)

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #4,425 of 6,857

I've not had any other issues other than Aptx no playing sound occasionally .
I'm not a Tidal user.
SBC should be Ok. Try positioning the R3 closer to the bluetooth item and see if its a distance issue.

Also shake your R3 and listen if there is anything loose. That has been mentioned by a few people on the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back