The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Aug 10, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #3,931 of 6,857
Does the R3 have a source direct/bit perfect mode when used purely as a transport?

I'm looking for something small to pair with a Mojo and was disappointed that the Shanling m0 sounds worse as a transport that using an Android phone with UAPP in bit perfect mode.

Any R3 owners with Mojos able to offer a comparison with UAPP?
I have used the R3 as a transport outputting to an Oppo HA2 DAC. There is a setting to switch the USB to audio from storage. However I'm suspicious of this mode since the volume control has an effect, which it shouldn't. Maybe I should have left it on storage.

Aug 10, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #3,932 of 6,857
Hi all, I need some help. Been running in the R6 for the last couple of days. I bought a 400gb micro sd card. I intend to use this mainly for my offline listening. In order for me to store the Spotify and Tidal tracks onto the micro SD card, i did not select any of the options (internal storage or removable storage) when the card was inserted. I managed to successfully store Tidal tracks onto the SD card.

However, when I connect the R6 to my PC, my PC cannot see any storage. It did recognise R6 as connected but there's no access to the SD card. I'm not sure if this is a R6 issue or a generic Android issue (I'm more of an iOS user). Do I have to do anything in the settings menu of the R6 to allow access to the PC? Typically the iOS will prompt but I didn't get any in R6.

Looking for help please.
When you plug the R6 in to a computer you will have access to an option to use the USB as storage. Its normal mode is charging.

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #3,933 of 6,857
When you plug the R6 in to a computer you will have access to an option to use the USB as storage. Its normal mode is charging.

Thanks Wickham. Does this option show up on the PC or R6 or both? I’m not getting such prompts, probably because I did not select an option (removable va internal storage). Strangely both Tidal and Spotify recognise the card for storage.

The reason I did not select was that I was told the selection will render the card unusable for Tidal or Spotify offline. As I read through the thread, it doesn’t seem so.

Aug 11, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #3,935 of 6,857
Hey,

Anyone knows how to use the R3 in DAC Mode? If i Connect it to my Macbook Air it's only in charging-mode. The device isn`t listed in the audio section. I am using the USB Cable that comes with the package.

Any Idea?

Edit:
Just found it in settings of the R3 --> use "Audio" as USB-Mode in system settings.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #3,936 of 6,857
Just got my R3 today, UI is so buttery smooth. Have the R6 but wanted something balanced and more portable. Loaded up my SD card and everything works great, album art and everything. Thanks to those who suggested album art of 500x500 pixels, they come up way better on the R3 than the R6.

Aug 11, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #3,937 of 6,857
Anyone else having issues with the 2.5mm balanced port on their R3?

I received my unit 2 weeks ago and unfortunately I have a bad port. I have tested out 2 different balanced cables and 2 different pairs of IEMs with the exact same results. I lose power/sound to the left channel with the slightest movement or pressure on the 2.5mm port. I have no issues if I am sitting at my desk listening, but as soon as I take the unit with me for a walk the left channel cuts in and out with my movement.

The single ended 3.5mm port has no issues. I have had to use this port when I use the R3 on the go and it works perfectly.

I have contacted Hiby Customer support letting them know about the issue and I am sure they will be in touch soon.

It's too bad I have this issue because I am really enjoying this little DAP. It's a major upgrade from my dated Fiio X5 Gen1. The software interface is very intuitive and works very well (no lag). It plays every file I throw at it with ease and streams Tidal perfectly when using my WIFI network. I enjoy the sound quality and really like the extra power the 2.5mm port provides. This unit is very versatile. It plugs in perfectly to my iFi Micro iDSD BL with either the USB OTG port and Hiby's Coax to USB-C cable. When stacked it's a nice portable desktop solution when I am away from WIFI.

If the R3 had Tidal Offline it would be a killer DAP player for me, but for the price point it still offers a lot of value.

I have the exact same issue as you.

2 of my balanced cables cut out in the left ear if you slightly touch the jack (or event stays cut out if the jack is in certain rotated positions. Both of these cables are fine in other devices.

Another of my balanced cables works fine with the R3 though...

Definitely a dodgy port. Luckily I got mine through a retailer a couple of days ago so I’m just going to go for a straight swap or refund. :triportsad:

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #3,938 of 6,857
Thanks Wickham. Does this option show up on the PC or R6 or both? I’m not getting such prompts, probably because I did not select an option (removable va internal storage). Strangely both Tidal and Spotify recognise the card for storage.

The reason I did not select was that I was told the selection will render the card unusable for Tidal or Spotify offline. As I read through the thread, it doesn’t seem so.

The R3 and R6 are different beasts . R6 Android and R3 Linux. So USB mode is different.

Go into R3 settings and change the usb mode to storage.
The R3 should show a screen with just a USB icon when a cable is plugged in and into a PC.

If you have problems with cards then reformat using this app. It's a genuine manufacturers format tool.
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
Format fully.

I tend to transfer direct to the SD as the Hiby range has an odd behaviour regarding file transfer over USB.
Windows will give a "this card may be corrupt and needs testing" etc but tests OK?

Aug 11, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #3,940 of 6,857
Don't get this all the time, but frequently...

Same here not all the time.
I know that Exfat does not work great in Linux so wonder if this is the same in the R3 setup.
Would be great to get some feedback from Hiby but they seem to be fading in the background of this thread and R6 thread.
Is Fat32 better for a 400gb card?
LDAC?
Hiby are you there?
They have been great up to a time then when all supplied units supplied .gone quite.

Shanling are still answering questions. Where is Hiby backup?

Aug 11, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #3,941 of 6,857
3 weeks with R3.
Average SQ on 3.5mm SE output.
Coax to Mojo with stock HiBy cable similar SQ to 3.5mm SE, I don't like.
USB-C to micro USB to Mojo is perfect and sound volume has not effect,.so R3 is the transport I wanted (only missing Tidal offline).

Question - which balanced IEMS do you recommend to me to increase SQ when not used with Mojo? I was said F9 Pro and iBasso, any other (under 200€)?

Thanks

Aug 11, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #3,943 of 6,857
Happened to use my R3 today and I tried Tidal again and it works flawlessly now. I couldn't even get anything to play before (despite being able to see everything in my account). So yea, not sure what's up with that but good on Hiby for whatever they did.

Aug 11, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #3,944 of 6,857
3 weeks with R3.
USB-C to micro USB to Mojo is perfect and sound volume has not effect,.so R3 is the transport I wanted (only missing Tidal offline).

Question - which balanced IEMS do you recommend to me to increase SQ when not used with Mojo? I was said F9 Pro and iBasso, any other (under 200€)?

Thanks

I really like my LZ A4s from the 2.5mm balanced output. They can be had for about $200. I got mine for $171 on Ebay. Check out some of the reviews:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/lz-a4.22062/

I really like the R3 as a transport with my micro idsd and as a super portable on the go stand alone. Only play from an SD card.

Hey Hiby, where are you??? I don't like how they disappear for long periods.I understand this is a kickstart project. But answer a few questions, acknowledge issues, and let us know what you're doing.

It would be great if someone could come up with a concise synopsis of all the outstanding problems and issues with the R3 and firmware.

Aug 11, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #3,945 of 6,857
3 weeks with R3.

Thanks
Pinnacle P1s with balanced cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back