1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The HiBy R3; The New "Little Brother" to the R6!

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by CactusPete23, Feb 14, 2018.
First

Back
245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254
256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265
Next

Last
  1. smallcaps
    Just got my Fiio USB C to Micro and can confirm that it works with the R3. Have tried it with both a Mojo as well as a Q1 Mark II. In the Q1's case, if I turn on the amp before attaching it to the R3, it does not drain the R3's battery.

Will spend the next few weeks testing this in comparison to the Hiby COAX to USB C cable on the Mojo specifically.

surfgeorge and greenkiwi like this.
  2. Palash
    So if you connect first then turn on q1 mk2 , it start getting charge from R3 ? Does Hiby R3 's volume control interfering with q1 mk2 ?

3. smallcaps
    The Q1 Mark II will drain the R3 if I turn it on after connecting to the R3. Volume control on the R3 has no effect if I connect either via USB.

4. heliosphann
    A lot of us still can't even get Tidal to work.

5. superuser1
    I tired the ifi OTG cable and paired the R3 with the iDSD BL and it works flawlessly

smallcaps and capnjack like this.
  6. capnjack
    Same with mojo, stunning sounding pairing! (With HiBy coax, but I find usb better sounding)

tekkster and superuser1 like this.
  7. bigtim
    58FE19F7-820B-4914-B2A0-C46EA05FB2A4.jpeg Using this setup at work this morning with a pair of HD-25’s plugged in. Very nice indeed

Jayden16, BetterLate, MAK1975 and 3 others like this.
  8. Music Enthusiast
    Hi,

I am very intrigued by this new DAP - but perfect/seamless gapless is essential for me. I wonder what the state of gapless play on FLAC/ALAC/APE is with the latest FW, I am on the fence about whether to buy simply because no gapless would be a complete deal breaker for me.

9. Squonk12
  10. MAK1975
    That's an awesome setup. Where did you find that nice OTG cable and USB-C to USB Converter from your iFi to the R3? I have the standard blue USB cable that came with my iFi, but was looking for a nice braided cable upgrade similar to what you have.

I have also stacked my iFi Micro BL with the R3 and it's an excellent pairing. So far I've used the iFi/R3 pairing with my Sennheiser HD6XXs and it really brings them to life. I'll have to try my Focal Spirit Classics later and see how they sound with the R3/iFi combo. The Focals are only 32ohms, but do benefit from a good amp. Actually pretty power hungry for a 32ohm headphone. I tried them directly plugged into the R3's 3.5mm SE port and they need more juice to really sing.

I tried the HD6xx on the single ended 3.5mm port just for kicks and it doesn't have anywhere close to enough power to properly drive these. I don't think the 2.5mm balanced port would fare much better. Obviously, the R3 on its own was not intended to drive headphones with 300 Ohm Impedance. By itself it's really ideal for on the go/portable use with a nice pair of IEMs. Hiby did it right by lowering the output impedance to less than 1ohm vs. their original R6 DAP.

I get better sound with the USB vs. the Digital Coax port. I used it with Hiby's USB-C to Coax adapter cable and it works well, but I found the connection a little loose from the coax jack to the iFi coax port.
    IMG_1967.JPG

I found the R3 interface locking up if the connection became loose. So I have to make sure I have it on a solid desktop or tabletop surface so the devices don't move around. Sitting in a recliner chair with it caused the loose connection.

The USB connection from the iFi to the R3 is rock solid.

Does anyone know if you can use the coax connection between the R3/iFi and then plug the USB port into a wall outlet? That way you can keep the iFi fully charged while using the R3 with it. To me that would be the one advantage of using the iFi's coax port vs the USB port. I just haven't tested it yet.

Too bad the R3 didn't have 2 USB-C ports. (1 just for power and 1 for the DAC) But, there's only so much you can put in such a small footprint at a $200 price point.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    bigtim likes this.
  11. MAK1975
    Very Nice!! How's the Cayin Coax to USB-C pair with the iFI/R3 combo? I was thinking of getting this cable, I bet it would solve the loose connection I get with Hiby's Coax to USB-C adapter cable. Some reviewer of the R3, said Cayin's USB-C port wasn't compatible with Hiby's. It looks like they were wrong. I just wish that cable was a little bit shorter. 6 to 8 inches would be ideal for stacking. But it's the only cable I can find online that has the RCA to USB-C termination.

Nice combo with the Beyer DT1770 Pros and iFi/R3. How's it sound?

12. bigtim
    The USB is from Ghent Audio - https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/u07.html. I wanted a shorter cable so it was good to find somewhere you can choose the length but it's not very flexible.
    The converter is from Audioquest - https://www.futureshop.co.uk/audioquest-usb-3-0-a-to-c-adaptor

Wish I'd seen the USB-C Dragon Tail - https://www.futureshop.co.uk/audioquest-dragontail-usb-adaptor-for-android-devices-usb-c
    That would have been a much better option!

13. MAK1975
    Thanks for posting your picture and the references for the cable and adapter you use. I'll definitely be looking into these.
    Not always easy to find good aftermarket interconnects for this gear.:relaxed:

14. MAK1975
    BTW what length of Ghent USB cable did you choose? 1 ft or 1.5 ft? If it's not flexible I want to make sure I have enough length. Thanks again bigtim!!

15. Squonk12
    The coax cable pairs quite nicely. I have gone back and forth with it and connecting with the supplied blue OTG USB cable and cannot tell a difference. Not to say their isn't, but, I just can't tell a difference, so, I use the coax so I can charge the iFi while jamming. Boy, just make sure you turn the BL on first or it will drain the R3 very quickly. lol

At first, I wasn't too sure about the match between the DT 1770 and the BL. Was shockingly 'honest' at initial trial (for lack of a better description). However, after a couple of weeks of solid burnin, I am VERY pleased with this setup. Not perfect, but, it'll do for now. I have been salivating over the new HD 820s. God help me. I prefer 'open-back', but, this is my traveling rig so must be 'closed-back'.

p.s. I actually also could not hear a diff from transporting from phone vs. R3. I got the R3 because I needed to free up my phone. I am extremely pleased with the R3, but, I think this is as small as I want to go.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    MAK1975 likes this.
First

Back
245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254
256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265
Next

Last