The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jul 12, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #3,572 of 6,857
I have not been impressed with headphone out on this thing, but it's so cool to FINALLY have a device without connection issues & that can control volume with reasonable increments on my dac/amp.
Agreed, the R3 is a nifty little transport - I also like it a lot.
What are you pairing it with?
And what were your impressions about the headphone out?

I am trying to get a grip on the sound signature, but find it a little hard to describe.
Somehow I feel there is some processing going on in the background that manipulates the sound, like those "auto-correct" functions in photo editing programs.

Jul 12, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #3,573 of 6,857
Agreed, the R3 is a nifty little transport - I also like it a lot.
What are you pairing it with?
And what were your impressions about the headphone out?

I am trying to get a grip on the sound signature, but find it a little hard to describe.
Somehow I feel there is some processing going on in the background that manipulates the sound, like those "auto-correct" functions in photo editing programs.

The dac/amp is GOV2+ and cans are HE560
My experience with headphone out has been mainly with Earsonics ES2 and Sony XBA-N3 from the single end. I find both of these earphones to work well with a variety of sources, but the R3 does not pair too well with them.

Some vague/generalized impressions: (caveat: I am not an attentive listener to begin with and listening in non-volume-matched, non-rigorous manner)
Most noticably the presentation/staging just seems a little off- one (or two) dimensional, with little center depth and oddly incoherent (almost similar to an out of phase effect) - I am not super sensitive to the nuances of presentation, so maybe my taste for this is just bad, but I've had phones and budget daps like Fiio M3 I think I would prefer for presentation.

I also have a lesser issue with the character of the treble (particularly as I find these two IEMs lean a little dark/forgiving ), it seems to have a slightly artificial/etched quality to it that is familiar to me from LGV30, but where that phone seems a little exagerrated but still blends in with the spectrum, on R3 it seems more eccentric/peaky- could just be down to a bad IEM match though- less irritating with ER4P, but I have only listened in one ear/mono (Hiby deserve some props for including stereo balance option, every dap should have but a shocking number don't.).

Also Tidal does not sound very good compared to phone, I think it may be defaulting to lowest "data conservation" quality, with no option to select otherwise.

Undecided if balanced offers anything better, only done a little listening from it so far, overall character seems similar.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #3,574 of 6,857
Looks like leather cases are ready (just got mine)

Hiby also thrown in a dark plastic cover (which is much nicer than the transparent one).

IMG_20180712_165356.jpg

Jul 12, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #3,575 of 6,857
The dac/amp is GOV2+ and cans are HE560
My experience with headphone out has been mainly with Earsonics ES2 and Sony XBA-N3 from the single end. I find both of these earphones to work well with a variety of sources, but the R3 does not pair too well with them.

Some vague/generalized impressions: (caveat: I am not an attentive listener to begin with and listening in non-volume-matched, non-rigorous manner)
Most noticably the presentation/staging just seems a little off- one (or two) dimensional, with little center depth and oddly incoherent (almost similar to an out of phase effect) - I am not super sensitive to the nuances of presentation, so maybe my taste for this is just bad, but I've had phones and budget daps like Fiio M3 I think I would prefer for presentation.

I also have a lesser issue with the character of the treble (particularly as I find these two IEMs lean a little dark/forgiving ), it seems to have a slightly artificial/etched quality to it that is familiar to me from LGV30, but where that phone seems a little exagerrated but still blends in with the spectrum, on R3 it seems more eccentric/peaky- could just be down to a bad IEM match though- less irritating with ER4P, but I have only listened in one ear/mono (Hiby deserve some props for including stereo balance option, every dap should have but a shocking number don't.).

Also Tidal does not sound very good compared to phone, I think it may be defaulting to lowest "data conservation" quality, with no option to select otherwise.

Undecided if balanced offers anything better, only done a little listening from it so far, overall character seems similar.

Thanks! Very interesting observations!
"...it seems to have a slightly artificial/etched quality to it..." I also feel like that.

Have just compared David Elias "Crossing" in DSD (free download) on the R3, Cayin N3 and Chord Mojo.
The R3 background is more "black" than the N3, and I certainly like that.
R3 bass is punchy, treble is very clear, approaching a little sharp.
A little bit like an iphone photo - processed to appear sharp, bold and saturated.
Kind of matches the screen :)

The Cayin N3 feels more natural in comparison, not as "clean", not as "bod" but less processed.
And the Mojo anyway is the king of smooth, clear and warm/natural and still detailed.

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #3,576 of 6,857
Thanks! Very interesting observations!
"...it seems to have a slightly artificial/etched quality to it..." I also feel like that.

Have just compared David Elias "Crossing" in DSD (free download) on the R3, Cayin N3 and Chord Mojo.
The R3 background is more "black" than the N3, and I certainly like that.
R3 bass is punchy, treble is very clear, approaching a little sharp.
A little bit like an iphone photo - processed to appear sharp, bold and saturated.
Kind of matches the screen :)

The Cayin N3 feels more natural in comparison, not as "clean", not as "bod" but less processed.
And the Mojo anyway is the king of smooth, clear and warm/natural and still detailed.

Surely you'd get better layering via MOJO over the other 2 regarding soundstage

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #3,577 of 6,857
Surely you'd get better layering via MOJO over the other 2 regarding soundstage
Yes, absolutely!
Especially the depth of soundstage can be dazzling.
This depends a lot on the recording and the headphones though.
The NightHawks can really create a feeling like in a church hall, the NightOwls are still very impressive but a bit smaller, and the Mojo connceted to my Stereo system creates the best depth layering and focus.

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #3,579 of 6,857
As mentioned I got a reply :
"We got similar feedback from another user on the shuffle problem. We consider it a bug preliminarily, and we will check it soon. Thank you."

But headfonia pointed this out over 3 months ago with a pre-production unit. library file size is "officially" 15000. That should be increased.
Should not really need to create a playlist.m3u off all files to use shuffle.

Not to mentioned the other promised things.

Hiby should really mention all those known issues in a list
So it will shuffle a playlist (m3u.) of all files? How are you creating it, internally? Whenever i try to make a playlist of all files it stops at around 5000 files. Any tips?

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #3,584 of 6,857
So it will shuffle a playlist (m3u.) of all files? How are you creating it, internally? Whenever i try to make a playlist of all files it stops at around 5000 files. Any tips?
I use mp3tag or jriver to create playlist. In mp3tag just drag every folder to the program and then save playlist all files. I save it in "AA_playlist" folder so I dont have to scroll too much for it.

The playlist is ordered alphabetically and can be shuffled. It it the only way I can shuffle or scroll all songs on this thing.

it is annoying Files->micro sd->AA_playlist-mp3tag.m3u , First time it takes 30-40 sec to load, after that its quick.

Should not be doing this on a 180$ device

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #3,585 of 6,857
From the Shanling M0 thead..... this is a quote not my words. The conversation had mentioned Hiby link.....

"Ghost town in R3 thread? Where is Joe? I noticed that their Instagram is dead, Facebook also kind of quiet, but saw some part of their team this sunday at Shenzhen audio show."

I have a bad habit. As a former securities analyst, I sometimes jump to conclusions about the health of companies with only limited information. And my spider sense at the moment is not particularly happy with the situation. I would love to be very, very, very wrong.

Well, I hope HiBy management takes the phone call from a competitor (and most likely a previous customer-Cayin would be a good choice) if that lifeline is extended.

HiBy, please check in with us. All can be forgiven ....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back