The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jul 7, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #3,436 of 6,844
I also have a Sandisk 200gb card from Amazon.ca. I loaded everything on, about 125gb. Works fine in my Opus 1s. Loses 1/3 of album covers and about 10% of files on the Hiby r3. Let's face it. The Hiby is buggy, underpowered and sounds awful. Burn in is an urban myth sorta like spending hundreds for connecting wires and earphone cables. Wire is wire. Electronics either work or they don't. Have fun trying to make this thing try to work for you. Mine is for sale.

I have a 400gb Sandisk with over 9000 files and all files play and all album art works. I admit Album art is a bit slow to update.

I'm not a believer in electronics burn in. If it does then somebody prove it :)

Jul 7, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #3,437 of 6,844
I have a 400gb Sandisk with over 9000 files and all files play and all album art works. I admit Album art is a bit slow to update.

please try to tag title of a file with ★ (Blackstar), Then see if it is replicated a bunch of times in the all songs list.

Jul 7, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #3,438 of 6,844

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Hey Man, Them’s :muscle:FIGHTING:punch:Words.!

I’ll Be Over Later With The BLACK:japanese_ogre:WYCH & After A Few Rounds With Her, You’ll Be Singing A Difficult Tune.!

She Always Carries The ‘Big Burn In Machine’. :crystal_ball::satellite::alembic::beers::tumbler_glass::L3000:

It’s Only A Matter Of Time My Friend.!

Jul 7, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #3,439 of 6,844
After just reading this thread for about 3 Months i registered to share :D
I got mine on Thursday. However, because Hiby cheated with the bill, I got a call from customs that the bill is doubted. I had to send a proof of purchase and in the end I paid 87,22 € customs and german taxes. Very sad...Hiby rated the R3 as 25 $ in the invoice.
The device itself, on the other hand, is pretty good. My F9 Pro IEMs are pretty clear and open on this device. Also, the Hifiman Sundara gets more airy on the device again noticeably. Likewise, I have no problems with Tidal to connect, only stutter when playing in some songs.
Got a 400GB card in it. Shuffling all songs (about 8000) is no Problem at all. Only Problems with Songs having Characters like ä ö ü or ! ? in it.

Surprisingly, here in Denmark, the R3 seemd to pass through customs without payment, but according to DHL, it was supposed to be delivered late yesterday. Nothing happened and still same message on the tracking page

Jul 7, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #3,440 of 6,844
:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Hey Man, Them’s :muscle:FIGHTING:punch:Words.!

I’ll Be Over Later With The BLACK:japanese_ogre:WYCH & After A Few Rounds With Her, You’ll Be Singing A Difficult Tune.!

She Always Carries The ‘Big Burn In Machine’. :crystal_ball::satellite::alembic::beers::tumbler_glass::L3000:

It’s Only A Matter Of Time My Friend.!
#1 and #6 of of special interest. The audiophile community contains many believers, and for every one of them there are a lot of marketers selling them snake oil and B.S.

https://www.ecoustics.com/articles/ten-biggest-lies-audio/

Jul 7, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #3,441 of 6,844
please try to tag title of a file with ★ (Blackstar), Then see if it is replicated a bunch of times in the all songs list.
Why would he want to mess up his database by doing that? :slight_smile: I do have replicated files in my database, btw, so I feel your pain. I must say that my device doesn't stutter or hiccup on playback and my album art works with a 1 second delay. I am totally fine with waiting for an update to fix the lag and database error. I have over 3,600 songs on a 200gb card. This is a great little device. The sound quality is amazing! The first 5 minutes was rough, but I remembered my R6 needed a bit of tweaking with MSEB. After that, I was thoroughly impressed. So much so, I sold my Cowon Plenue D the next day. I figure the superior sound quality trumped the superior battery life.

Jul 7, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #3,442 of 6,844
Why would he want to mess up his database by doing that? :slight_smile: I do have replicated files in my database, btw, so I feel your pain. I must say that my device doesn't stutter or hiccup on playback and my album art works with a 1 second delay. I am totally fine with waiting for an update to fix the lag and database error. I have over 3,600 songs on a 200gb card. This is a great little device. The sound quality is amazing! The first 5 minutes was rough, but I remembered my R6 needed a bit of tweaking with MSEB. After that, I was thoroughly impressed. So much so, I sold my Cowon Plenue D the next day. I figure the superior sound quality trumped the superior battery life.

Created a playlist with all my files, then shuffle works.
im ok with waiting for a fix, but when it first was mentioned feb 15, almost 5 months ago, im wondering why it is not done.

By the way, tried my "throw in the bag" ausdom m05 with hm5 pads with r3. Surprised that they actually sounded good and ok bass.

Jul 7, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #3,444 of 6,844
:beers:
I think I will need some if it is true :)

Well look at it this way, with the stuff She’s:japanese_ogre:Brewing:flag_black::crystal_ball::fire::alembic::beers: isn’t it a worthwhile experimental evening:wink:

But serious.

Personally for as long as I’ve been enjoying this pursuit of audio nirvana which I doubt I’ll ever achieve between I can’t hear myself think or I turn back to cosmic dust I’ve always experienced a much better audio experience after a period of say ‘letting the wine breath’ so to speak.

I’m not a wine connoisseur or snob so I open the bottle & enjoy a glass or two.

But from all the equipment of any worth meaning $ well spent [not low fi stuff when I 1st started this madness] I feel there’s been a marked improvement after a certain period of non critical listening versus after unboxing plugging in & turning on, pretty much everything outta the box no matter the audio component or electronical addition benefited time to get the energy thru & in & out.

Yes many people don’t hear any difference but depending on the piece of gear outtta the box pretty much sounds unlike after a few hundred hours have been added to it.

Besides even if some say after they’ve had too much to drink it’s all in my head, so be it I’m still enjoying it...

As usual with all else In life ymmv, but that’s 1/2 the fun in the journey is getting there & it’s up to you how you achieve that.

No judgment, were all in it for the personal enjoyment.

So Cheers, raise a:beers: to the Black:japanese_ogre:Wych & enjoy the journey...

Jul 7, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #3,445 of 6,844
No joy here :frowning2:
I did manage OTA upgrade to 1.09, BUT:
Using new SanDisk 200GB card - I tried to plug to mac mini, which did not recognize the microSD card. downloaded the formatter utility from sdcard.org website, formatted the card (ExFAT with 128KB allocation units) - so far so good...
Trying to copy music to it - it keep losing connection every few songs! Tried both on mac (latest MacOS) and PC (windows 7).

How do you guys manage to copy anything to it?! Do I have a bad unit?
I did try to remove the microSD card, and plug it back (powered off the R3) - same behavior.

VERY frustrating. Never had those issues with R6 (or M0 or any FiiO DAP).
Is there a way to format the card inside the R3? I did not see an option for formating in the menu.
I just got my R3. While it was charging I copied about 1000 hi-res tracks directly to the SD card from my computer where all my music is stored. Inserted the card and ran a scan. All songs and artwork appeared. You might try that if you can.

Jul 7, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #3,446 of 6,844
After just reading this thread for about 3 Months i registered to share :D
I got mine on Thursday. However, because Hiby cheated with the bill, I got a call from customs that the bill is doubted. I had to send a proof of purchase and in the end I paid 87,22 € customs and german taxes. Very sad...Hiby rated the R3 as 25 $ in the invoice.
The device itself, on the other hand, is pretty good. My F9 Pro IEMs are pretty clear and open on this device. Also, the Hifiman Sundara gets more airy on the device again noticeably. Likewise, I have no problems with Tidal to connect, only stutter when playing in some songs.
Got a 400GB card in it. Shuffling all songs (about 8000) is no Problem at all. Only Problems with Songs having Characters like ä ö ü or ! ? in it.
I’m also using F9 Pro with balanced cable. Very pleased with the SQ. Using 200gb Sandisk card. No problems yet.

Jul 7, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #3,447 of 6,844
Tried that, too, although do not remember if it was long version or not.
At this point - I am starting to suspect SD card is bad. Will get a new one today and try again.
I am curious:
Anyone who got a brand new SanDisk 200GB card here... did you have to format it at all?! or just pop into R3, plug to PC by USB, and start copying folders / files?
I am on latest FW 1.09
That’s what I did. New card. Created a folder called Music. No formatting. Just popped it into a card reader and copied a bunch of folders of hi-res and 44/16 files. So far no problem. There is a slight crackle for a second when changing to a different folder. Not a biggy for me.

Jul 7, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #3,448 of 6,844
I just got my R3. While it was charging I copied about 1000 hi-res tracks directly to the SD card from my computer where all my music is stored. Inserted the card and ran a scan. All songs and artwork appeared. You might try that if you can.

Wick how many hours do you have on it?
Have you just listened to ur R3 @ home with your other gear or outside, spend anytime with your Elex & Aeon’s?

Jul 7, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #3,449 of 6,844
Update from my earlier post:

After installing FW version 1.09, there is no change to either the lack of wifi connectivity nor the distortions in DAC mode.

If I had purchased this device in a brick and mortar store I would simply return it for refund.
Can anything similar be done for a Kickstarter project?

Jul 7, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #3,450 of 6,844
Really just got it. Charged it, updated the fw and loaded a bunch of hi-res files on it. Using it now with F9 Pro iems with balanced cable. Very happy with the sound. In the next couple of days I’ll try Elex balanced and Aeon open single ended. Will let you know how it goes. Aeons might be a little tough for this DAP.

What are you using with yours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back