The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jul 5, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #3,333 of 6,845
9B4B061D-2E5B-42AC-A733-CB2DD530E23B.jpeg 9B4B061D-2E5B-42AC-A733-CB2DD530E23B.jpeg 5C4D4A58-FCB1-4DF1-B4E9-B3A8F872A4AA.jpeg BB40C373-3BE0-4998-BD4C-C64C4DEC2142.jpeg FE15D5C1-5124-4EE4-A114-5770DA412849.jpeg
How’s this for you?
Can someone with chord mojo please upload a photo with the r3 stacked? I've seen the gentlemen with the side to side photo, but a photo with it stacked would be great. Thanks

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #3,335 of 6,845
Jul 5, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #3,338 of 6,845
Received my R3 today, very happy with it so far except for the tidal popup showing up randomly, this defintely needs to be fixed.

This stupid piece of junk stucks on China timezone and geographical location, thus we all get the China geo limitations.

Jul 5, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #3,339 of 6,845
This stupid piece of junk stucks on China timezone and geographical location, thus we all get the China geo limitations.
Interesting, so you think the time zone bug causes the Tidal subscription bug? Well if so it should be quite easy to get it fixed... let's wait and see. For me this is the major problem I have with the player so far but I also happen to experience freezes and reboots when I play to much with the tidal app.

Jul 5, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #3,340 of 6,845

How’s this for you?

Thx Cap, what a GR8 screen shot of the early & best Fleetwood Mac w PG recording session for Albatross from ‘68/69.

For any of you out there thatve never hear Fleetwood Mac’s / PG’s version[who originally wrote it.] of Black Magic Woman do yourself a huge favour & give it a listen.

Love Santana & their version but PG’s version is old school British Blues @ its best.!
Also from that early group as CJ shows on the screen shot, listen to Albatross, Rattlesnake Shake, Oh Well, I Need Your Love So Bad & of course there’s my Fave... ‘Love That Burns’ a true classic.!

Thx Cap, great music & memories from the real FM & PG.!

Sounding GR8 on the R3 by the way...

Jul 5, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #3,341 of 6,845
The saga continues

You could also try tagscanner. Brilliant piece of software. Did you get your r3? Our Indian customs are ensuring mine goes back.. and added with DHL mammoth incompetence it looks like I'll wait to wait a long time for mine to get to me.
Yeah I got mine via DHL customs. Paid a nominal duty of 1316rs. I hope you get yours' soon

Jul 5, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #3,342 of 6,845
Yes, I selected all files and hit the random button in the bottom left corner. Played about 35 tracks with no problems (all my tags are using normal characters).[/QUOTE]
Well, i used the "delete" option to remove all of the special character tracks from the shuffle list (but not actually delete the files). Now the shuffle is exhibiting the same behavior on tracks that begin with numbers( 20th Century Boy for example). Very frustrating, never had this happen on any of my other 5 DAPs, some which are many years old. Big swing and miss on this!

Jul 5, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #3,343 of 6,845
Yes, I selected all files and hit the random button in the bottom left corner. Played about 35 tracks with no problems (all my tags are using normal characters).[/QUOTE]
Well, i used the "delete" option to remove all of the special character tracks from the shuffle list (but not actually delete the files). Now the shuffle is exhibiting the same behavior on tracks that begin with numbers( 20th Century Boy for example). Very frustrating, never had this happen on any of my other 5 DAPs, some which are many years old. Big swing and miss on this!

Jul 5, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #3,344 of 6,845
Another couple of nice +’s is the Hiby Link in the Hiby app linking my iP8+ & R3 is a great feature & v useful.

As well I’ve fully charged the battery 2x’s since I received it Mon afternoon, playing a lot/burning it in maybe 12-16 HRs a day.

The battery lasts quite a long time.

Got my screen brightness @ 69, backlight time 30s, vol set to 49, 56, or 69 limited to 85.

Last night was listening for quite a few hrs while charging & this thing is a cool customer playing & charging same time usually brings on the heat or at least warmth in many small devices including my phone/pad but the R3 was chillin & that’s with the thick clear plastic case on which limits heat dissipation & that’s great news.

Maybe on the weekend if I stay in will try it with my iFi Nano iDSD & my MBP.

Anyhow from use except some software niggles & annoyances which a software update or two should smoooth out, its a great little piece of kit & really enjoying it just as I suspected I would when I backed the the R3.!

Sooner than later gotta get HiRes files loaded for the real deal but till then enjoying it all the same.

Jul 5, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #3,345 of 6,845
A couple of quick observations after one day with the unit.

I like the way it seems to have some menu items that change based on what is happening. For example you can choose line out only when a cable is attached.

There are a few small nits so far. The biggest would be that gapless is not working properly. It kind of stutters between tracks. And yes gapless is turned on in the menus, since I know somebody will tell me its user error.

The wifi connection is funky. I saw somebody state that you need to put in SSID. Maybe thats the fix to the problem. The problem is that the unit sees my router but won't connect to the home network with the correct password.

It is hard to talk about the sound with the huge array of options in MSEB. I have not used this yet, but in order to compare sound I just turned all of that off. It sounds rather like the Shanling M2S to me; perhaps a bit less bass (before any adjustments). I have the Shanling M0 and out of the box I think its sound is a tad clearer but nothing major. Of course this unit is loaded with software options and has balanced output.

The Cayin N5II of course runs android, so can have those apps. It also has a dedicated balanced amp circuit. I think it sounds more detailed but then again I suppose I should have expected that. I was sort of hoping this unit will equal it and that I might have considered selling the Cayin but no such luck.

The user interface, like all touch driven units that I have, takes some getting used to. For auto use, the Shanling M2S has some real advantages. Much easier to navigate quickly.

As far as Cayin (Joe) noting that shipping the units separately from the delayed cases, there may have been other way to approach the issue. People were definitely upset that units were going out faster to those who did not order cases. Maybe they could have asked those of us with cases it they were OK with the delayed shipments or offered a refund on the cases to get back into the early queue. Right now I personally would be happy to cancel the case and get a refund.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back