The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jul 1, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #3,151 of 6,857
Well as I said, I don’t use iem :)for me, so just going by reviews & what others have said & I know they’re not the end all to be all, was just offering a suggestion.

But as you said ‘I'm a drum & bass and electro soul man though’ [i can dig that for sure, need more soul music] but I’m sure they’re quite possibly not designed or made for that purpose as you’ve commented.
Again iem not for me so obviously others can address this & that.

As with all else in life to each his own & ymmv...

The low end on the F9 pro's is pretty tight. Being a bit hot does not bother me as i have bad ears:)
I'm interested if the FH5 are the best of both.

Jul 1, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #3,152 of 6,857
I got the F9 Pros the other month and REALLY wasn't impressed. Beautifully made but had a real lack in the low end and the top end was too shrill for me. Cranked up they became quite messy and painfull to listen to on complex drum arrangements.

So I returned them and got some Oriveto New Primacys which sound infinitely better in every part of the spectrum as well as being super sharp and able to handle the seperation and detail of the drum layering that the f9s had issues with.

I'm a drum & bass and electro soul man though so they may be considerably better on non electro music, but for me they just really didn't cut it, especially so for the money.
I’m wondering about the fit you had on the F9 Pro. I found that I needed to switch to smaller tips to get the bass response I wanted. The tips that came fitted out of the box yielded a sound signature like the one you describe.

Jul 1, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #3,153 of 6,857
The low end on the F9 pro's is pretty tight. Being a bit hot does not bother me as i have bad ears:)
I'm interested if the FH5 are the best of both.

I’ll check them out at some point as the iem I have from a few yes ago are ok but that’s it & just bug my ears after a fairly shortvtime so they’re put away.
Butmight be a good idea to pick up a good pair on sale jik for travel as I surely wouldn’t be carrying my experience over ear:) as I’d likely be able to get them for a really good price when being cleared out.
Although I have really good ears:wink: but my hearing isn’t 100% anymore:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:so I could probably live with a bit of this n that’!

I’ll check with my friend & see if they’re getting the FH5 & see what they’re all about.

I hope they’re what you expect & fill your need, let me know how it goes...

Jul 1, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #3,155 of 6,857
Just to clarify in case you all thought he must be mad.

I appreciate the SP1000 as a beautifully made flagship device that sounds amazing, with its twin state of the art dacs and stunning screen etc etc. The sound is stunning.

I think what I’m trying to say is that the R3 really took me by surprise. I only really bought it for a much cheaper travel companion in both size and cost. However the R3 has really grabbed my attention with its sound. Even selecting a DSD track from a flac is pretty seamless and the DSD plays almost instantly whereas on the SP1000 there is quite a delay when selecting a DSD to the point of missing first second of the track. A small thing I know, but noticeable.

Anyway, I’m trying Tubular Bells in DSD this evening on the R3, let’s see how the little guy gets on. Could be synergy with the IEM’s, could be my old ears either way it sounds great and think you are going to be impressed.

Jul 1, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #3,156 of 6,857

I appreciate the SP1000 as a beautifully made flagship device that sounds amazing, with its twin state of the art dacs and stunning screen etc etc. The sound is stunning.

I think what I’m trying to say is that the R3 really took me by surprise. I only really bought it for a much cheaper travel companion in both size and cost. However the R3 has really grabbed my attention with its sound. Even selecting a DSD track from a flac is pretty seamless and the DSD plays almost instantly whereas on the SP1000 there is quite a delay when selecting a DSD to the point of missing first second of the track. A small thing I know, but noticeable.

Anyway, I’m trying Tubular Bells in DSD this evening on the R3, let’s see how the little guy gets on. Could be synergy with the IEM’s, could be my old ears either way it sounds great and think you are going to be impressed.[/QUOTE]

Never for 1 sec did I think he was

Anyway, I’m trying Tubular Bells in DSD this evening on the R3, let’s see how the little guy gets on. Could be synergy with the IEM’s, could be my old ears either way it sounds great and think you are going to be impressed.

Never for 1 second did I think he was crazy or mad to use his terminology!

But I did think he’s got a very generous allowance to work with.! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

After TB which is pretty awesome for sure, take a listen to Tangerine Dream’s soundtrack from the Friedkin’s other movie, from ‘77 one of my favourite movies & fave Friedkin movie, SORCERER:japanese_ogre: it’s called ‘Betrayal’ Sorcerer Theme, it’s pretty awesome as well, pretty hypnotic.!
It’s really exceptional esp if you’ve watched the movie & where it’s slotted into the storyline, really sets the stage & amps up the tension.!
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076740/

Love that move, much better than the original French version imho esp since with the exception of Roy Scheider [whobis excellent in this role as are all the other main combatants.!.] all the other actors are European or foreign so virtually unknown when the movie was cast & made sobit reLly gives it a more authentic realistic & grittier deal to it.!
Check it out fiction haven’t seen it & if possible best to watch on a large screen in a darkened room with a good ht speaker system or :) preferably & volume up , maybe a craft :beers:beer or two just for special effects:skull:

Enjoy!

Jul 1, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #3,157 of 6,857

Here’s a link to the yt TD Sorcerer video, will give you an idea the ride your in for so to speak.!

Oh by the way, you mentioned listening to The Beatles DSD/Flac I think you said, yes?

Well if you got it, if not dl it ‘HEY BULLDOG’ in my Top 10 Beatles songs likely Top 5 & here’s the Official Beatles Promo Vid for it after all footage of the recording was thought lost, there’s a really good story about that on yt as well if you’re interested pretty fascinating stuff actually.!

Jul 1, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #3,158 of 6,857
Thanks Fridge,

I will certainly check the links out, always interested, thank you.

Trust me, budget on the SP was hard to pull together, still paying, I’m not allowed to spend big sums on the hobby anymore!

Time to kick back with a beer as you say and enjoy these gizmos for the music, not for next new thing - too damaging to wallet.

Jul 1, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #3,159 of 6,857
Thanks Fridge,

I will certainly check the links out, always interested, thank you.

Trust me, budget on the SP was hard to pull together, still paying, I’m not allowed to spend big sums on the hobby anymore!

Time to kick back with a beer as you say and enjoy these gizmos for the music, not for next new thing - too damaging to wallet.

YW, I think you’ll enjoy from your music taste you’ve mentioned.

Yes I know exactly what you mean, although it sounds as if you have other family considerations which are in reality always more important so that’s understandable.

Myself I don’t anymore & I can go stupid & often do with my finite allowance & sometimes regret my impulses.

Yes it sounds like the SP is awesome & likely we’ll worth the big$ as I’ve heard, so I’m glad you can enjoy as you’ll definitely get your $’s worth by the sounds of it.!

What :) are you using missed or forgot already:astonished:

Really does sound like you got the set up to go all night with either the SP or your new R3, congrats on a tasteful bit of kit.!

Enjoy, the CB:beers: as well...

Jul 1, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #3,160 of 6,857
Hi All,

I am posting my first head-fi message here as I have been following this thread since the beginning.
I was backer #16xx ish and selected a black R3 with leather case. I received a shipping notice about 18th June and received it last Monday 25th. I paid £3.50 tax so no complaints there.

I totally understand people’s frustration in not getting their R3’s yet but my word it is worth the wait.

Last year I purchased an SP1000 SS and use Sennhieser IE800S’s in balanced mode normally with it. Let me say for the past week my go to device has been the R3, just listening to it flat, no 8 ball, no EQ it sounds fabulous with the IE800S’s via balanced out. Low gain has plenty of power to drive the IE800S’s. The sound is smooth, detailed with nice width and stage. I been listening to Nirvana Nevermind 96/24 version some Dire Straits in DSD and Beatles remasters in 24/44.1. They all sound great to my 50 year old ears, no harshness especially on ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’ I didn’t need to turn it down at all. Some much more expensive equipment has been terrible on that track.

Interestingly I listened to Nirvana on both the R3 and SP1000 back to back and preferred the presentation on the R3, just seemed crisper and more enjoyable to my ears. Take that with a pinch of salt as new toy syndrome and all but when I look at the cost difference between the 2 players, is there over £3000 in quality, no, not to me, very impressed HiBy, great little DAP, worth every penny.

Really good to hear this. I'm looking for autonomy for my Andromeda and Focal. Right now, for me to listen to my headphones to the fullest, I need to be tethered to my desk and desktop amp. Look forward to receiving it, but the quality of the amp in this dap doesn't excuse Hiby's shipping incompetence. It's still frustrating to see people with backer # 13xx and 16xx having fun with theirs for at least a week and then read about backers < 100 with no updates or even worst, early backers in Hong Kong not seeing any movement. I really think Hiby shipped these out at random with no rational logic behind the strategy. Once the players are in our hands, the anger will start to subside, but Hiby really tarnished trusts within the indiegogo/kickstarter campaign world. In the past, when creators takes months or even years to finally ship, I never backed any of their subsequent campaigns.

Anyway, thanks for the comments. I was strongly considering the new A&K SE100 Futura, but after your comments, I'll now wait to evaluate the R3 before throwing good money out the door.

Jul 1, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #3,161 of 6,857
Really good to hear this. I'm looking for autonomy for my Andromeda and Focal. Right now, for me to listen to my headphones to the fullest, I need to be tethered to my desk and desktop amp. Look forward to receiving it, but the quality of the amp in this dap doesn't excuse Hiby's shipping incompetence. It's still frustrating to see people with backer # 13xx and 16xx having fun with theirs for at least a week and then read about backers < 100 with no updates or even worst, early backers in Hong Kong not seeing any movement. I really think Hiby shipped these out at random with no rational logic behind the strategy. Once the players are in our hands, the anger will start to subside, but Hiby really tarnished trusts within the indiegogo/kickstarter campaign world. In the past, when creators takes months or even years to finally ship, I never backed any of their subsequent campaigns.

Anyway, thanks for the comments. I was strongly considering the new A&K SE100 Futura, but after your comments, I'll now wait to evaluate the R3 before throwing good money out the door.

Absolutely, couldn’t agree with you more as it’s taken on Tesla proportions [& I don’t mean the Nikola ones.!]

Unconscionable.!

Jul 2, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #3,162 of 6,857
As someone who used to own high end DAPs, e.g. AK100, AK240, ZX2... just enjoy whatever DAP you are using even if it costs below $200. Once you've outgrown hype-fi you'll realize the difference between most well implemented DAPs are very minimal to negligible regardless of the dumb pricing you see nowadays.

Jul 2, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #3,164 of 6,857
I’ll check them out at some point as the iem I have from a few yes ago are ok but that’s it & just bug my ears after a fairly shortvtime so they’re put away.
Butmight be a good idea to pick up a good pair on sale jik for travel as I surely wouldn’t be carrying my experience over ear:) as I’d likely be able to get them for a really good price when being cleared out.
Although I have really good ears:wink: but my hearing isn’t 100% anymore:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:so I could probably live with a bit of this n that’!

I’ll check with my friend & see if they’re getting the FH5 & see what they’re all about.

I hope they’re what you expect & fill your need, let me know how it goes...

If you have good ears then I would suggest you go for the FH1. The F9 Pro's a lot of people think it too hot. The FH1 have a really smooth deep bass but for me can overwhelm the upper end.
My ears are shot so the shrill people mention on the pro's I dont hear. I would prefer a bit more bass on the pro's but the clarity for me is what keeps me using them.

Thats why I'm thinking that maybe the FH5 may give me what I want.

Jul 2, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #3,165 of 6,857
If you have good ears then I would suggest you go for the FH1. The F9 Pro's a lot of people think it too hot. The FH1 have a really smooth deep bass but for me can overwhelm the upper end.
My ears are shot so the shrill people mention on the pro's I dont hear. I would prefer a bit more bass on the pro's but the clarity for me is what keeps me using them.

Thats why I'm thinking that maybe the FH5 may give me what I want.

Thx, will see if there’s stock, as it’s not a big priority for me atm will keep my eyes open for sales or clearance prices on quality ones that aren’t selling for whatever reason.

I think I remember the F5 & F9’s were being cleared out if I’m not mistaken even the F9Pro, will have to check, the 1 More Triple as well as whole back but will keep a look out!

Hope they work for you!

Got a treat for you.

Do you/have you watched ‘Endeavour’ the young Morse before he became Insp Morse?

Well if you haven’t watch this episode
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5433634/ & I think near the early part of the show he’s in a beautiful church/cathedral like performance theatre or something [been a while since I’ve seen it some time last year]
But he’s listening to a performance of Eric Satie’s Gnossienne No.1 on an French glass instrument like a glass tubular harpsichord or something played by a group called the Hope Ensemble.!

The effect in the that performance as Endeavour listens to it is quite stunning, best if you can watch the episode just for the effect.

But here’s the link in yt & I’m sure you’ll appreciate it with your iem of choice esp if you can dl the track into your R3, simply stunningly beautiful music of course no matter what instrument it’s pkayed on but on this glass performance almost sounds like a theramin, transcendent...

Enjoy.!

Here’s the groups webpage to order the album.
http://www.hopensemble.eu/-Discography-?lang=en#raccourci_contenu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back