The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jun 21, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #2,672 of 6,853
It was just for you @FridgeMagnet :wink:

...also, it’s a bloody great album too; so thanks again.

Well Thx Mate, always good to be appreciated:wink::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

& You’re Damn Right about that, It’s AClassic.!

& Again, You’re Welcome, Love spreading the Gospel of GR8 Music.!

So how’s your new toy, ongoing impressions, + or -?

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #2,673 of 6,853
Please do NOT get a 2.5mm trrs balanced to 3.5mm unbalanced adapter. You can't adapt a balanced output to unbalanced as it will effectively short the two inverted signals together. Hopefully devices have protection so that it doesn't cause an issue with the device.

You need to get/make balanced cables for your headphones.

You're last comment hit the nail on the head. The sensitivity of headphones really controls their volume output. The impedance determines the type of load they put on the amp. Now as a result of that list, some amps behave differently.

Thanks @greenkiwi. The last I read, I only saw that it is dangerous to run a unbalanced 3.5mm to balanced 2.5mm adaptor (hence they don't exist), as that will cause a short because of different grounding. Could you share a little more why 2.5 unbalanced to 3.5mm balanced is problematic?

@fanoble @Joe Bloggs I noticed an unsigned ASIO USB DAC Windows driver for the Chinese R3. Any chance you can get the driver signed so we can install it easily on Windows without disabling driver enforcement?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #2,674 of 6,853
As I posted earlier, I am still having problems to conect anything via bluetooth, I know it is not my phone's fault, already tried on 2 other phones during the week.
I am suspecting my unit is faulty. Is it supposed to be more information and options in this configuration page ?

15qrytt.jpg

un1is.png

Jun 22, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #2,676 of 6,853
Interested if anyone else has had these issues.

1. Update OTA firmware to 1.09 and get “checksum error”

2. Format sd card or try new card, a rescan does not delete previous library. For example I can format a card 5 times (slow or fast), and actually see that it is empty. Do a rescan on the R3 and low and behold it is completely populated with the previous music files. Magic.

Is there a hard reset on this apart from restore factory settings? Power button plus bottom right button maybe?

Jun 22, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #2,677 of 6,853
Thanks @greenkiwi. The last I read, I only saw that it is dangerous to run a unbalanced 3.5mm to balanced 2.5mm adaptor (hence they don't exist), as that will cause a short because of different grounding. Could you share a little more why 2.5 unbalanced to 3.5mm balanced is problematic?

@fanoble @Joe Bloggs I noticed an unsigned ASIO USB DAC Windows driver for the Chinese R3. Any chance you can get the driver signed so we can install it easily on Windows without disabling driver enforcement?

Thank you!

Likely me mis-remembering. It's OK to go balanced connection on headphone to unbalanced adapter into unbalanced amp output.

I think that I'd mis-read your original statement that if you an adapter you could used the balanced output to get decent volume.

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #2,678 of 6,853
Likely me mis-remembering. It's OK to go balanced connection on headphone to unbalanced adapter into unbalanced amp output.

I think that I'd mis-read your original statement that if you an adapter you could used the balanced output to get decent volume.

No worries, the different specs get me mixed up sometime. I won't be getting a 2.5unbalanced to 3.5 balanced adaptor anytime soon but will be sure to double confirm when I get one :)

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #2,679 of 6,853
As I posted earlier, I am still having problems to conect anything via bluetooth, I know it is not my phone's fault, already tried on 2 other phones during the week.
I am suspecting my unit is faulty. Is it supposed to be more information and options in this configuration page ?
I see a Xiaomi if I recall correctly :wink: Have you updated your R3 firmware? Yes, you should see more options on the R3 bluetooth page.

Interested if anyone else has had these issues.

1. Update OTA firmware to 1.09 and get “checksum error”

2. Format sd card or try new card, a rescan does not delete previous library. For example I can format a card 5 times (slow or fast), and actually see that it is empty. Do a rescan on the R3 and low and behold it is completely populated with the previous music files. Magic.

Is there a hard reset on this apart from restore factory settings? Power button plus bottom right button maybe?

1) I eventually managed to update after a few times rescanning device, and rebooting the R3 after each failure and eventually the checksum error disappeared. Took me about 5 tries I think. If not, Joe/fanoble posted a mirror link which you can load on your microSD card to install/

2) Hmm that's unusual. If I were you I'll just reformat using the computer and factory reset the R3, and not bother about the database till when loading up new files and scanning for those.

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #2,680 of 6,853
me too, after 8 days returned to shipper...

We highly appreciate your support and patience. As we mentioned in the previous public reply, we used a shipping agency help to ship all the orders. Once we sent all the products to the shipping agency, they helped to create the DHL label (Tracking number) for each order. And once they finished all the labels, they sent the products to DHL's Hong Kong office. But the shipping agency made a wrong shipping battery sticker for a few orders so that DHL had to return those shipments to them. They are now fixing the issue, and will provide the new tracking # to you soon. We genuinely apologize for bringing you the inconvenience.

Jun 22, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #2,681 of 6,853
Are people finding the gapless option works for them? Switched it on (it's off by default!) & I'm getting noticable gaps a fair amount of the time. Files I've cut up myself admittedly, but I take care (Sector Boundaries, etc., not that that should matter) & never had trouble on my previous player (running Rockbox).

Jun 22, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #2,682 of 6,853
I think HiBy is trying to solve problems with shipping.
We highly appreciate your support and patience. As we mentioned in the previous public reply, we used a shipping agency help to ship all the orders. Once we sent all the products to the shipping agency, they helped to create the DHL label (Tracking number) for each order. And once they finished all the labels, they sent the products to DHL's Hong Kong office. But the shipping agency made a wrong shipping battery sticker for a few orders so that DHL had to return those shipments to them. They are now fixing the issue, and will provide the new tracking # to you soon. We genuinely apologize for bringing you the inconvenience.

thank You for fast response. good luck with fast shipping :)

Jun 22, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #2,683 of 6,853
Well Thx Mate, always good to be appreciated:wink::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

& You’re Damn Right about that, It’s AClassic.!

& Again, You’re Welcome, Love spreading the Gospel of GR8 Music.!

So how’s your new toy, ongoing impressions, + or -?

Not sure about it, I have been listening heaps and reserving my judgement; but since you asked so nicely...

...So far the R3 is a beautiful little device; the size, weight and screen is great. The UI is nice, better then the stand alone HiBy app while being similar, however hopefully they continue to improve the UI. As for the sounds, i'm still not convinced. I think the AP200 is a better in that department unfortunately, however everything else about the R3 craps on the AP200.

P.s I also love how it's NOT an Android device. If HiBy made a high end version (say two high end DACs and better AMP) and no Android, I'd be sold. Or maybe I'll just pair the R3 with a Mojo or similar?

So bottom line. Great overall device, but audio quality could be better.

Jun 22, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #2,684 of 6,853
I see a Xiaomi if I recall correctly :wink: Have you updated your R3 firmware? Yes, you should see more options on the R3 bluetooth page.

1) I eventually managed to update after a few times rescanning device, and rebooting the R3 after each failure and eventually the checksum error disappeared. Took me about 5 tries I think. If not, Joe/fanoble posted a mirror link which you can load on your microSD card to install/

2) Hmm that's unusual. If I were you I'll just reformat using the computer and factory reset the R3, and not bother about the database till when loading up new files and scanning for those.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

The rescanning issue “seems” to be resolving. I found a fast format of the card didn’t necessarily work. It also seems files transferred from a Mac are temperamental in showing up in a scan, windows seems more stable in playing with the R3. But all in all a more high maintenance installation than the R6 for me.

Do you by chance have that mirror site handy? I think I missed that post.

Thanks again.

Jun 22, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #2,685 of 6,853

Users who are viewing this thread

Back