The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jun 9, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #5,583 of 6,857
How my R3 coupled with the balanced Meze Noirs bests the mighty Shanling M5s sonically is pretty surprising. The R3 gives the Noirs the treble boost it needs. My God, at less than half the price, this flabbergasts me. How can a cheaper player equipped with a single dac bests one that has two in balanced mode and is more than double the price?

I am having issues with my R3 right now, as it skips songs without any input on my part, even with the inline remote setting turned off, but God oh golly, it sounds so good.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #5,584 of 6,857
Updated to 3.2 last night and now bluetooth connection no longer works at all.

All I get is: Playback failed Error -13

Is this a known issue?
What Bluetooth codecs does your earphones support?

I am having issues with my R3 right now, as it skips songs without any input on my part, even with the inline remote setting turned off, but God oh golly, it sounds so good.

When and how does this skip happen?

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 9, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #5,585 of 6,857
What Bluetooth codecs does your earphones support?

When and how does this skip happen?

It usually happens with my V-Moda M80s when connecting it to the player. Sometimes after connecting it to the 3.5 jack, there would be no sound at all as the player doesn't recognize it connected since it remains in Coax mode (as it does when there are no headphones connected). The last time it did happen though (an hour or so ago), I admittedly don't know whether the player remained in Coax mode or not since I didn't look up there. What I do know is that there was no sound all, even with the song on play and the volume on the same setting. Reconnecting the headphones rectifies this sometimes. Other times, only a restart would fix this.

In other instances, the player would just randomly skip to the next song without any input on my part. This happens even with my balanced Meze Noirs. I would be listening to some music and then randomly, the player would skip to another song, which is pretty weird.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #5,586 of 6,857
Hi,

My HiBy R3 is gathering dust basically because it does not support Tidal (or Qobuz) offline music, so isn't very portable or convenient for my streaming setup compared to my LG V30 phone which does support offline Tidal/Qobuz music playback :). My question is are there any plans to implement offline playback?. If not that's a shame as the HiBy R3 could have been a very good portable player if it were'nt (third party software) unable to play Tidal/Qobuz music. Kind of sucks, listening to a great track,step outside the front door & the player goes silent :frowning2:.

Jun 10, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #5,587 of 6,857
Can someone explain how to use the internet radio option? I have no clue about what it does and how in the world to get it to work in the first place.

I bought a second R3 in gray on Amazon via MusicTeck and am surprised to have received one who only accepts the Chinese firmware. The first one (in black) also from Amazon via MusicTeck is the international version. I wonder if the color differences is correlated to the two different versions.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #5,589 of 6,857
After updating the fw to 3.2 I can't connect the R3 per BT to my avr (Denon X1200W), codec is sbc and I always get the error message "connection failed"
Hiby Link is not working with my Honor 5X, I can use the R3 only as DAC. If I turn Hiby Link on, no (BT) connection is possible, turn it off and I can use it as dac, but can't control the R3 with my phone and the Hiby app...
The included Pedometer and E-book feature are useless for me.

Jun 11, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #5,590 of 6,857
Hi,

My HiBy R3 is gathering dust basically because it does not support Tidal (or Qobuz) offline music, so isn't very portable or convenient for my streaming setup compared to my LG V30 phone which does support offline Tidal/Qobuz music playback :). My question is are there any plans to implement offline playback?. If not that's a shame as the HiBy R3 could have been a very good portable player if it were'nt (third party software) unable to play Tidal/Qobuz music. Kind of sucks, listening to a great track,step outside the front door & the player goes silent :frowning2:.

This is not Hiby's fault, it affects all non-Android, non-iOS devices. Music streaming services have to protect the music from piracy, one way they do this is limiting the offline mode and hence it's encryption methods to their own apps.
As the R3 is not an Android player there is no way to run the Tidal app, so no offline.

In the UK things are a bit better, I can pay 6 quid or so for unlimited music streaming from my phone service provider so for a relatively low cash outlay I can stream as much as I want wherever I want.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #5,592 of 6,857
Can someone explain how to use the internet radio option? I have no clue about what it does and how in the world to get it to work in the first place.

I bought a second R3 in gray on Amazon via MusicTeck and am surprised to have received one who only accepts the Chinese firmware. The first one (in black) also from Amazon via MusicTeck is the international version. I wonder if the color differences is correlated to the two different versions.
I got it to work by adding a radio.txt file in the root of my SD card, and then looking at the bottom of the playlists tab. The support is OK, it doesn't seem to show them as being favorited anywhere and you have to scroll down through it to find your station each time. But I'm enjoying my radio paradise and soma fm.

Jun 11, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #5,593 of 6,857
I got it to work by adding a radio.txt file in the root of my SD card, and then looking at the bottom of the playlists tab. The support is OK, it doesn't seem to show them as being favorited anywhere and you have to scroll down through it to find your station each time. But I'm enjoying my radio paradise and soma fm.

You need the station links added to the file in the form:
name, url
e.g.
BBC Radio 6 Music, http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_6music_mf_p
Note you need the actual URL for the stream - some stations will use a link to a file that *contains* the link.Only certain forms of stream work (AAC & Flac don't seem to), it can be fussy if certain ports are used too. Think the file needs the right encoding too, UTF-8.

Jun 12, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #5,594 of 6,857
First time posting and want to first say thank you to Snoopy112. Because of your firmware mod (allowing 65,000 songs) I decided to place an order for the R3.

This hasn't arrived yet and wanted to ask a few questions.

When looking to purchase a card, I see some that are "micro sd" and others that are "microsdxc." I'm on a budget and the PNY brand seems more in my range.
Will any sd card work?

I was curious about the hiby ap and downloaded this to my iphone. Maybe it's because my phone is old (don't laugh, it's a 4S). The ap seemed buggy - It would stop scanning around 1,000 songs and would then close. If I stopped the scanning before hitting 1.000 songs, I could use the ap. I noticed that the screen only displayed about 90% of the album art.
Is this common on any phone or is it because my phone is so old?

Also, I'm thinking of switching over to an android phone. I've never used one before. I'm on a budget and will buying one used off of ebay. I was wondering if any of you could recommend a phone that works well with the R3. I'm not looking for anything brand new or expensive. Other than phone calls, I'm looking for a phone that has decent speaker sound and is compatible with hiby link.

Thanks again Snoopy112 for the firmware.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #5,595 of 6,857
This is not Hiby's fault, it affects all non-Android, non-iOS devices. Music streaming services have to protect the music from piracy, one way they do this is limiting the offline mode and hence it's encryption methods to their own apps.
As the R3 is not an Android player there is no way to run the Tidal app, so no offline.

In the UK things are a bit better, I can pay 6 quid or so for unlimited music streaming from my phone service provider so for a relatively low cash outlay I can stream as much as I want wherever I want.

I'm in the UK. Your lucky if you can have access to a unlimited mobile data plan for £6 ( with whom?). But I live in a mountainous location & as such a mobile signal isn't always possible (plus it's hardly a way to conserve energy like we must if..........) . Besides, even if there was 100% network coverage, the only network that provides a unlimited data plan in my area is giffgaff @ £25 per month. Plus Tidal Hifi £20 per month.

Anyway thanks for the info . It's a no then for offline Tidal support with the R3. Maybe the R3 should try implement APK support as the Tidal APK does offline mode via the app.

The R3 is a very nice DAP though, if it fits your own needs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back