The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jun 26, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #2,837 of 6,857
still waiting for my AP60 Pro from Hidiz that was supposed to be delivered in April by MassDrop
I signed up for the Hiby KS months after the HiDiz MassDrop

I've had my R3 for a week or so and it really didn't matter to me
as I have the Shanling MO i purchased retail off amazon that I am still trying to figure out (the R3 is a better device but also costs more)

the R3 shipped way sooner than the idiegogo R6 did which was still shipping when the R3 project started
not sure why expectations are so far off base for the R3 especially as a KS project

I haven't had any issues with my R3
once connected to my home wifi it updated its OS with no problem
Once I provided my credentials it logged me into Tidal and I had access to all my playlists and albums
I was able to connect to my APTx bluetooth headphones and 2.5 TRRS Zen 2s with great sound and no problems

I bought the R3 to use as a standalone DAP with good sound, streaming Tidal, balanced output and nothing else and as that it works just fine for me
other than being a fingerprint magnet it has everything I currently need in a portable player outside of my LG V30 and its not a big old C4 bomb brick to haul around with connecting cords protruding out the yin yang

Don't know why everyone keeps plugging theirs into a million other gadgets to make it something other than what it is

So, good work Hiby
the R3 and R6 are two great first generation starts into the DAP market compared to the competition

Hi, if I may ask, how does the R3 sound compared to your V30?

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #2,838 of 6,857
My I ask why you selling?
I have to many daps i bought this as a standalone but it looks like i might need an amp with it as is the case with most players anyway ..the screen is gorgeous and sound is good but i need the money for an amp

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #2,839 of 6,857
I have to many daps i bought this as a standalone but it looks like i might need an amp with it as is the case with most players anyway ..the screen is gorgeous and sound is good but i need the money for an amp

Curious as to the fact you find it that difficult to drive all the headphones you’ve listed you have, so what kind of volume levels are you finding this lacks.

Jun 26, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #2,840 of 6,857
Curious as to the fact you find it that difficult to drive all the headphones you’ve listed you have, so what kind of volume levels are you finding this lacks.
It drives them but not adequately i have a sennheiser Hd650 and beyerdynamic Dt770..that i use......all the headphones on my signature are long gone :ksc75smile:

Jun 26, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #2,841 of 6,857
It drives them but not adequately i have a sennheiser Hd650 and beyerdynamic Dt770..that i use......all the headphones on my signature are long gone :ksc75smile:

Ic, well I know it’s a relative as everybody’s hearing sensitivity is different & preference for audio playback varies as well but until I receive my R3 been using my iP8+ for playback but I don’t find my listening levels are wanting with my headphones when I’m out & about for coffee etc even tho I’ve got a some boosting at home but not using atm.

Wouldn’t have thought so just surprises me that...

Jun 26, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #2,842 of 6,857
Hi, if I may ask, how does the R3 sound compared to your V30?

I'm burning in my Audioquest Night Owls 24 hours a day this week (100+ hours) and will give them a run across all my devices this weekend
I do know that listening to my balanced VE Zen 2s on the R3 on Tidal seem to sound better than the VE Zen2 Omegas on the V30 using Tidal the V30 doesn't support 2.5TTRS balanced out connection

I'll run my Senn 6XX and Beyer 770Pro 250s against the M0, V30 and R3 this weekend as well.
I recently sent my Fostex's to Modhouse to get them upgraded but the Night Owls and Campfire Comets will be a good test
I also have the Nuforce EDC3 and one triple more IEMs I could use

Jun 26, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #2,843 of 6,857
I'm burning in my Audioquest Night Owls 24 hours a day this week (100+ hours) and will give them a run across all my devices this weekend
I do know that listening to my balanced VE Zen 2s on the R3 on Tidal seem to sound better than the VE Zen2 Omegas on the V30 using Tidal the V30 doesn't support 2.5TTRS balanced out connection

I'll run my Senn 6XX and Beyer 770Pro 250s against the M0, V30 and R3 this weekend as well.
I recently sent my Fostex's to Modhouse to get them upgraded but the Night Owls and Campfire Comets will be a good test

Ok, well NightHawks are 1 of the 4 main :) I use soon to be 5 & I find the NH’s fairly easy to drive so interested to see how you like them...

Jun 26, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #2,844 of 6,857

i want to see if you think it runs the Senn 6xx and Beyer 770 pro adequately..

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #2,845 of 6,857
i want to see if you think it runs the Senn 6xx and Beyer 770 pro adequately..

Definitely not with the 6xx especially with most classical tracks. But then again I only have SE cable to run through the r3 for the 6xx. The only balanced cables I use for my cans are XLR types.

Jun 27, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #2,847 of 6,857
i have some Soundmagic E80s IEM I bought for the V30 based on a recommnedation and didn't like them out of the box. So I I've burning them in for about a month or more and decided to give them another go. And the sound way better now for some reason or another (placebo?) Any I just gave them a run on the V30, MO and R3. Track used were Kaimana by Steve Kindler and Teja Bell, and from Chesky's The Worlds Greatest Audiophile Vocal Recordings, Girl From Ipanema, Round Midmight, What's A Little More Rain.

For my over 62 ears and sound preference, the V30 at 62/80 on the volume sounds better than the M0 at full volume and the R3 sounded better than the M0 at 80/94 on the volume knob but with the boomiest bass of the three.

But then I pulled out and plugged in my Zen 2s into the balanced output of the R3 and it beat everything including itself using the Soundmagic E80s in standard the 3.5 jack

To humor myself I plugged the E80s into my Zishan Z3 and it was in the ball park a little lot less definition.

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #2,848 of 6,857
Ic, well I know it’s a relative as everybody’s hearing sensitivity is different & preference for audio playback varies as well but until I receive my R3 been using my iP8+ for playback but I don’t find my listening levels are wanting with my headphones when I’m out & about for coffee etc even tho I’ve got a some boosting at home but not using atm.

Wouldn’t have thought so just surprises me that...
Actually, it's quite elementary. I'm surprised someone on here would not understand. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back