The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Mar 9, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #122 of 6,859
This is not a smartphone and isn't Android, so you can't watch videos on it, you can't play games, you can't browse the internet, so it doesn't really mattet ifit's OLED, AMOLED or whatever. And of course bringing up the small 2-color oled screen of certain Players. The important thing is tmfor the r3's screen to be bright enough to be viewable under sunlight

Mar 9, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #123 of 6,859
The R6 has an OLED screen, as well. :wink:
I don't know where the message went, but Joe bloggs himself said that it was a typo and the screen is actually a led back-lit IPS tft screen

Mar 9, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #124 of 6,859
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 9, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #125 of 6,859
I don't understand the obsession everyone here is having about OLED screens over IPS. It's a small AUDIO player for audio playback, not a tablet for watching vids. Surely SQ (or at the very least hardware that concerns/affects SQ) should be the main focus, not PQ... or am I missing something here?

edit: ok, not everyone

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #126 of 6,859
So after watching the video, when using streaming services like Tidal, I understood that it will play Tidal, but only while on WiFi and streaming. My understanding is that the app wouldn’t be installed on the device and one wouldn't be able to store the songs (download) onto the device or an SD card. Is that a correct assumption and if so, would the same apply to other streaming services like Apple Music and Spotify?
What they show in the video does not look like Tidal app, at least.
Do they integrate it into the DAP original player?

BTW, Hiby confirmed usb audio out on the R3.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #127 of 6,859
What they show in the video does not look like Tidal app, at least.
Do they integrate it into the DAP original player?

BTW, Hiby confirmed usb audio out on the R3.
Yes they have integrated it. As the os is based on Linux and not on android, they had to integrate it.

Mar 10, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #128 of 6,859
If you look at the old Samsung S2 OLED RGB type display is fantastic, still is.

If you say so, but nothing beats my Sansa Clip+'s two-color OLED, where they still count the resolution in "lines of legible text" (4!!!) :grimacing:

(actually is really nice, super easy to read in daylight, which is the thing I really care about on a DAP, regardless of panel type)

*edit* oops, beat me to it

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #129 of 6,859
I don't know where the message went, but Joe bloggs himself said that it was a typo and the screen is actually a led back-lit IPS tft screen
You are correct about the R6 screen, it isn't OLED, it's IPS. I have the R6, and I can tell you that the screen is top tier. If the R3 has a similar screen, I don't think anyone will be disappointed.

Mar 10, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #130 of 6,859
You are correct about the R6 screen, it isn't OLED, it's IPS. I have the R6, and I can tell you that the screen is top tier. If the R3 has a similar screen, I don't think anyone will be disappointed.
That is true. I have had an ips led monitor for like 3 years and i still marvel at its color accuracy and viewing angles. In fact, for a dap this small, i don't think an oled panel is required anyways.

Mar 10, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #131 of 6,859
AFAIK there aren't any screenless DAPs with balanced output, Hiby could be first in class! They would be rolling in the roubles.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #133 of 6,859

And I'd say it again... :p

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 10, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #134 of 6,859
Mar 12, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #135 of 6,859
Just discovered this thread and this exciting upcoming little Player Wow, usb audio out, DSD256, PCM384!! Just the mate my iFi micro idsd has been waiting for. Currently using a Fiio X5ii which has coax out but the micro doesn't play DSD via coax. I am very psyched for this.
What is the projected price point for this?? The usb audio out is the thing I've been looking for. Has the usb port type (mini, micro, type C) been defined?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back