The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jul 1, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #3,136 of 6,859
Ic, well ok you’re ahead of me on these & other iem’s, as I said I don’t use them but some friends do, not these iem’s that is.

Curious as to why would like to go down in likely sq from the F9 Pro’s to the FH5 if they slotbin between.
As I know nothing of them wondering why you’ll want to add another lesser pair from the same company as I’ve seen others in those price ranges that possibly would satisfy more.
Isn’t the FH5 their new totl

Jul 1, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #3,139 of 6,859
I finally got a shipment picked up notice yesterday from DHL. They picked it up as one piece but now it's listed in Hong Kong as two pieces. I don't know if that's good. Perhaps they added the leather case.
It is scheduled for delivery on Tuesday

Jul 1, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #3,140 of 6,859
I didn’t contact HiBy at all, I went straight to DHL HK, was v.polite and suggested that it obviously wasn’t there fault but probably someone else in the chain. Then within 4 hrs I had a new tracking# and 2 hrs later a duty charge mssg (£4.49) with delivery due on Tuesday. Hope this helps you out!
Thanks for that. I’ll try that on Monday when people are more likely to be there.

Jul 1, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #3,141 of 6,859
I didn’t contact HiBy at all, I went straight to DHL HK, was v.polite and suggested that it obviously wasn’t there fault but probably someone else in the chain. Then within 4 hrs I had a new tracking# and 2 hrs later a duty charge mssg (£4.49) with delivery due on Tuesday. Hope this helps you out!
Ok. I followed your advice and just now sent them a polite note asking if they could help. Curious that this works, since if Hiby hasn’t actually shipped the units there is very little DHL can do.

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #3,142 of 6,859
Ok. I followed your advice and just now sent them a polite note asking if they could help. Curious that this works, since if Hiby hasn’t actually shipped the units there is very little DHL can do.
It didn’t really make sense to me, but within 4:30 hrs I had a new tracking # that worked. :wink:

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #3,143 of 6,859
Hi All,

I am posting my first head-fi message here as I have been following this thread since the beginning.
I was backer #16xx ish and selected a black R3 with leather case. I received a shipping notice about 18th June and received it last Monday 25th. I paid £3.50 tax so no complaints there.

I totally understand people’s frustration in not getting their R3’s yet but my word it is worth the wait.

Last year I purchased an SP1000 SS and use Sennhieser IE800S’s in balanced mode normally with it. Let me say for the past week my go to device has been the R3, just listening to it flat, no 8 ball, no EQ it sounds fabulous with the IE800S’s via balanced out. Low gain has plenty of power to drive the IE800S’s. The sound is smooth, detailed with nice width and stage. I been listening to Nirvana Nevermind 96/24 version some Dire Straits in DSD and Beatles remasters in 24/44.1. They all sound great to my 50 year old ears, no harshness especially on ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’ I didn’t need to turn it down at all. Some much more expensive equipment has been terrible on that track.

Interestingly I listened to Nirvana on both the R3 and SP1000 back to back and preferred the presentation on the R3, just seemed crisper and more enjoyable to my ears. Take that with a pinch of salt as new toy syndrome and all but when I look at the cost difference between the 2 players, is there over £3000 in quality, no, not to me, very impressed HiBy, great little DAP, worth every penny.

Jul 1, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #3,145 of 6,859
Yes the 1MTD is supposed to be quite good for the $ as well.
Have a friend that works in retail sell both & got to try them as well as they’re into iem [as I’m not] & they thought the F 9Pro edged them out but I think the F9Pro are a bit more $ as well.
As well always depends on personal tastes & preference for sq fit & comfort etc vs $.

So you’re a better judge than on on that...

Did you receive ur R3 yet? If so thoughts?

I got the F9 Pros the other month and REALLY wasn't impressed. Beautifully made but had a real lack in the low end and the top end was too shrill for me. Cranked up they became quite messy and painfull to listen to on complex drum arrangements.

So I returned them and got some Oriveto New Primacys which sound infinitely better in every part of the spectrum as well as being super sharp and able to handle the seperation and detail of the drum layering that the f9s had issues with.

I'm a drum & bass and electro soul man though so they may be considerably better on non electro music, but for me they just really didn't cut it, especially so for the money.

Jul 1, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #3,146 of 6,859
Does anyone have any ideas when the R3 will be become available to the public? I was following them on Kickstarter and very nearly backed it but didn't in the end which I'm now regretting!

Jul 1, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #3,147 of 6,859
Hi All,

I am posting my first head-fi message here as I have been following this thread since the beginning.
I was backer #16xx ish and selected a black R3 with leather case. I received a shipping notice about 18th June and received it last Monday 25th. I paid £3.50 tax so no complaints there.

I totally understand people’s frustration in not getting their R3’s yet but my word it is worth the wait.

Last year I purchased an SP1000 SS and use Sennhieser IE800S’s in balanced mode normally with it. Let me say for the past week my go to device has been the R3, just listening to it flat, no 8 ball, no EQ it sounds fabulous with the IE800S’s via balanced out. Low gain has plenty of power to drive the IE800S’s. The sound is smooth, detailed with nice width and stage. I been listening to Nirvana Nevermind 96/24 version some Dire Straits in DSD and Beatles remasters in 24/44.1. They all sound great to my 50 year old ears, no harshness especially on ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’ I didn’t need to turn it down at all. Some much more expensive equipment has been terrible on that track.

Interestingly I listened to Nirvana on both the R3 and SP1000 back to back and preferred the presentation on the R3, just seemed crisper and more enjoyable to my ears. Take that with a pinch of salt as new toy syndrome and all but when I look at the cost difference between the 2 players, is there over £3000 in quality, no, not to me, very impressed HiBy, great little DAP, worth every penny.
:astonished: That's saying something....!

Jul 1, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #3,148 of 6,859
I got the F9 Pros the other month and REALLY wasn't impressed. Beautifully made but had a real lack in the low end and the top end was too shrill for me. Cranked up they became quite messy and painfull to listen to on complex drum arrangements.

So I returned them and got some Oriveto New Primacys which sound infinitely better in every part of the spectrum as well as being super sharp and able to handle the seperation and detail of the drum layering that the f9s had issues with.

I'm a drum & bass and electro soul man though so they may be considerably better on non electro music, but for me they just really didn't cut it, especially so for the money.

Well as I said, I don’t use iem :)for me, so just going by reviews & what others have said & I know they’re not the end all to be all, was just offering a suggestion.

But as you said ‘I'm a drum & bass and electro soul man though’ [i can dig that for sure, need more soul music] but I’m sure they’re quite possibly not designed or made for that purpose as you’ve commented.
Again iem not for me so obviously others can address this & that.

As with all else in life to each his own & ymmv...

Jul 1, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #3,149 of 6,859
:)
Hi All,

That’s worth hearing:)

Jul 1, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #3,150 of 6,859
Hi All,

Welcome to headfi, sorry about your wallet (sounds like that is too late though!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back