The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jun 22, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #2,688 of 6,857
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

The rescanning issue “seems” to be resolving. I found a fast format of the card didn’t necessarily work. It also seems files transferred from a Mac are temperamental in showing up in a scan, windows seems more stable in playing with the R3. But all in all a more high maintenance installation than the R6 for me.

Do you by chance have that mirror site handy? I think I missed that post.

Thanks again.
Here you go: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtuiwfIBRYFEgbd0QKDAwzA9fN-aww I've also quoted @Joe Bloggs' post below!
I hear that some of you are having trouble downloading the latest update OTA so here is the update file for manual download: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtuiwfIBRYFEgbd0QKDAwzA9fN-aww
1. Copy the file (r3.upt) to a micro SD card for the R3, in the root (i.e. outside of any subfolder)
2. Put the card in the R3, browse to Settings->Firmware Update, choose the local update option

A bit off topic, but, @FridgeMagnet I just found this while looking for my r3 dispatch email#
This just happened to sneak into my inbox! https://stankosteelbeard.com/products/thungors-honeymead
Wow you guys are really passionate :D

Jun 22, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #2,690 of 6,857
I see a Xiaomi if I recall correctly :wink: Have you updated your R3 firmware? Yes, you should see more options on the R3 bluetooth page.

Yes, it is a Xiaomi MI5 PRO, I love it.
The R3 came with the 1.06 version and the problem was already present, so I updated it to 1.09 but without any luck.
Thanks for your help, I will contact Hiby for a possible solution, maybe a hard reset will do the trick but don't know how to do it.

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #2,691 of 6,857
The R3 came with the 1.06 version and the problem was already present, so I updated it to 1.09 but without any luck.
Thanks for your help, I will contact Hiby for a possible solution, maybe a hard reset will do the trick but don't know how to do it.

Just press the power button and hold it more than 15 seconds to do a hard reset. Wish that will help you.

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #2,692 of 6,857
Not sure about it, I have been listening heaps and reserving my judgement; but since you asked so nicely...

...So far the R3 is a beautiful little device; the size, weight and screen is great. The UI is nice, better then the stand alone HiBy app while being similar, however hopefully they continue to improve the UI. As for the sounds, i'm still not convinced. I think the AP200 is a better in that department unfortunately, however everything else about the R3 craps on the AP200.

P.s I also love how it's NOT an Android device. If HiBy made a high end version (say two high end DACs and better AMP) and no Android, I'd be sold. Or maybe I'll just pair the R3 with a Mojo or similar?

So bottom line. Great overall device, but audio quality could be better.

Thx for that.

If I remember correctly didn’t you get the NightHawks a while back & were burning them in to get ready for the R3 [or maybe that was someone else down there or up here or someone somewhere else?]
So what :) are you listening to the R3 with?
That’s an interesting observation from your listening session different than what I had expected, maybe after you burn it in for a few weeks or so & have 100+ HRs on it might help or change your assessment, will like to hear back on it after a while & see if you still have this conviction.

Anyhow that’s interesting & thx for your initial impressions look forward to an update in a bit!

Cheers...

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #2,693 of 6,857
Jun 22, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #2,695 of 6,857

Out of curiosity, does your phone use an SoC from Qualcomm?

Jun 23, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #2,696 of 6,857
Thx for that.

If I remember correctly didn’t you get the NightHawks a while back & were burning them in to get ready for the R3 [or maybe that was someone else down there or up here or someone somewhere else?]
So what :) are you listening to the R3 with?
That’s an interesting observation from your listening session different than what I had expected, maybe after you burn it in for a few weeks or so & have 100+ HRs on it might help or change your assessment, will like to hear back on it after a while & see if you still have this conviction.

Anyhow that’s interesting & thx for your initial impressions look forward to an update in a bit!

Cheers...

I got the Focal Listen. It sounds smoth through them but not enough oomph. That’s why maybe a headphone amp might be useful.

And the Brainwavz B400 I’ve got running as balanced, don’t sound good at all, almost a little overdriven.... and I’ve heard the B400s through a Mojo and they sound gold when using a better DAC.

I would love a Mojo but can’t afford one. I’m going to do more research on the idsd nano black label.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #2,697 of 6,857
I got the Focal Listen. It sounds smoth through them but not enough oomph. That’s why maybe a headphone amp might be useful.

And the Brainwavz B400 I’ve got running as balanced, don’t sound good at all, almost a little overdriven.... and I’ve heard the B400s through a Mojo and they sound gold when using a better DAC.

I would love a Mojo but can’t afford one. I’m going to do more research on the idsd nano black label.

Hey that’s right, I knew it was one of the ones I had & now you mention it I remember our conversation recommending them,.

Ok, well from what I’ve heard the iDSD Nano Black is supposed to be pretty good so might be a good choice for the $, can you demo it anywhere?

If not I think if you read enough reviews, maybe shoot off an em to iFi customer support with you question/concern about the matchup or even on headfi likely a page on it, so you should be able to satisfy your interest within those areas if not 1st hand, but likely will be a good fit.

Good Luck...

Jun 23, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #2,698 of 6,857

Do the B400 hiss on R3 balanced? I demoed Andromedas at a store and those hiss on balanced :/

Jun 23, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #2,699 of 6,857
Not sure about it, I have been listening heaps and reserving my judgement; but since you asked so nicely...

...So far the R3 is a beautiful little device; the size, weight and screen is great. The UI is nice, better then the stand alone HiBy app while being similar, however hopefully they continue to improve the UI. As for the sounds, i'm still not convinced. I think the AP200 is a better in that department unfortunately, however everything else about the R3 craps on the AP200.

P.s I also love how it's NOT an Android device. If HiBy made a high end version (say two high end DACs and better AMP) and no Android, I'd be sold. Or maybe I'll just pair the R3 with a Mojo or similar?

So bottom line. Great overall device, but audio quality could be better.

I second this sentiment. I thought of flipping my AK jr. originally but it seems I might keep it because of its warm crystal tonality.

Still early impressions but the R3 sounds ok re:SQ. Portability is where it really shines, along with user experience. If only if I could load up my album covers...

@reeza - curious on reading your comparison with the hidiz regarding sound.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #2,700 of 6,857
Do the B400 hiss on R3 balanced? I demoed Andromedas at a store and those hiss on balanced :/

I didn’t notice a hiss, but it just wasn’t right, like a the clarity was lost, it was a little distorted maybe?

I second this sentiment. I thought of flipping my AK jr. originally but it seems I might keep it because of its warm crystal tonality.

Still early impressions but the R3 sounds ok re:SQ. Portability is where it really shines, along with user experience. If only if I could load up my album covers...

@reeza - curious on reading your comparison with the hidiz regarding sound.

Too be honest, I really don’t like AP200, for a lot of reasons, and the sounds one of them... I think the R3 has a smoth warm sound, but the AP200 seems (to my ears) be a little more dynamic... I’m almost thinking it’s the R3s amp stage that needs a little more omph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back