The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
May 22, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #1,666 of 6,857
Are the backed sold Kickstarters R3 Chinese Editions?
No, those are the International edition which is to start shipping this week. The R3's that people got in their hands right now, off JD.com or wherever right in China, are the Chinese edition.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 22, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #1,667 of 6,857
I know there are lots of people who want Tidal, I don't subscribe, not going to pay for it (and it looks like that may be a good thing). But I understand if that was one of some people's big drivers for backing.

For myself, it's about the small footprint, the balanced out, the touchscreen, and a lot of the other features. I know HiBy is talking about adding things as they can, so will have faith that they will do what they can. Until I hold it in my hand and can test everything out, I won't have second thoughts about the R3, and I can't wait to get mine!

@Mouseman:

Absolutely agree, it’s mainly the only reason I backed it as that is the need I have, as well I’ll wait till I actually have it in my hands & have burned it in for a week or two & used before I pass judgement.

Shipping is starting & we should start receiving soon...

May 22, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #1,668 of 6,857
I do unfortunately have to confirm you guys' fears that TIDAL offline will be called off. :triportsad: For our partner's sake I won't describe the how or why of it. Let's just say it wasn't for want of us being willing to pay or program for it. TIDAL ONLINE will of course be available, as it has been for weeks now in-house.

The good news is that we have been given the go-ahead to integrate clients for at least two other streaming services into the R3. Given the existing work done for our first client (TIDAL) adding these clients won't take long :L3000:

@Joe Bloggs:

Joe, can you give us a hint of the other ‘@ least two other streaming services’? & they would be added after these are shipped out to us via fw?
Any effort with PLEX or Roon & others as others have requested inquired about?
Thx.

Cheers...

May 22, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #1,669 of 6,857
Dear Joe,

I am currently/temporarily located in mainland China, so i am considering about purchasing R3 at jd.com pre-sale.
I also saw your recent post about R6 and Penon situation, which triggered following questions:

- Is Chinese version of R3 different from international?
- Does it support international streaming services by default?
- Does it support Chinese services like Xiami, Baidu Music, QQ Music?
- Is there any other difference besides streaming apps?
- Could international firmware be flashed at Chinese version and vice-versa in the way as it was with CayinI5?

The R3 should not feature the kind of version distinction that the R6 "features", nor should there be any limitation of the kind of firmware you can flash onto it. (since the firmware updates for this device are "complete" updates you can also update backward, forward, sideways... at will) . However fulfilment for Chinese preorders of the R3 should take place no earlier than Kickstarter fulfilments either. :)

Best regards,
Joe

Your words was the main reason for me to buy R3 at jd pre-sale,
You personally have guaranteed there will not be any restriction for re-flashing device.
And now you are saying this?

Important notice

It has just come to my attention that developments in IP rights disputes between TIDAL, record companies and China have made it so that TIDAL cannot legally be used in China. As such, firmware updates to Chinese edition R3's will NEVER include TIDAL, nor any future streaming clients falling in the same kind of situation, and there will be measures to prevent the cross-flashing of Chinese edition R3's with international firmware--this despite any claims to the otherwise I may have made in public or in private. :triportsad:

Sorry guys. :triportsad:

I am extremely disappointed.

May 22, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #1,671 of 6,857
I do unfortunately have to confirm you guys' fears that TIDAL offline will be called off. :triportsad: For our partner's sake I won't describe the how or why of it. Let's just say it wasn't for want of us being willing to pay or program for it. TIDAL ONLINE will of course be available, as it has been for weeks now in-house.

The good news is that we have been given the go-ahead to integrate clients for at least two other streaming services into the R3. Given the existing work done for our first client (TIDAL) adding these clients won't take long :L3000:
It’s dealbreaker for me!!!
Looks like we're gonna have to sell the unopened one at a discount.
The M7 is much better suited to the role of digital transport with normal line output and has aptx HD and Ldac.
And you know, I also will sell the R6 in favor of the DX 150 with a normal output impedance and no delay in playback in Tidal.
I'm very disappointed.

May 22, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #1,672 of 6,857
@Joe Bloggs - am I too late to add the $10 for the optional cable?
The e-mail I got 3 or 4 days ago says it is until Monday, but it is not clear to me whether it is yesterday or next Monday...

May 22, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #1,673 of 6,857
It’s dealbreaker for me!!!
Looks like we're gonna have to sell the unopened one at a discount.
The M7 is much better suited to the role of digital transport with normal line output and has aptx HD and Ldac.
And you know, I also will sell the R6 in favor of the DX 150 with a normal output impedance and no delay in playback in Tidal.
I'm very disappointed.
Dibs on this unit :^)

May 22, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #1,674 of 6,857
@Joe Bloggs - am I too late to add the $10 for the optional cable?
The e-mail I got 3 or 4 days ago says it is until Monday, but it is not clear to me whether it is yesterday or next Monday...
I tried sending money as instructed, but that mailbox wouldn't accept money. Odd.

May 23, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #1,675 of 6,857

This is a bummer. The I've grown reliant on Tidal and offline capabilities on the R6. :frowning2: sorry to hear guys.

May 23, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #1,676 of 6,857
@Joe Bloggs:

Joe, can you give us a hint of the other ‘@ least two other streaming services’? & they would be added after these are shipped out to us via fw?
Any effort with PLEX or Roon & others as others have requested inquired about?
Thx.

Cheers...

Hi @Joe Bloggs, that’s sounds great about the our two services, any hints :wink:

Also would love to know about PLEX?

Cheers.

May 23, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #1,678 of 6,857
I'm glad I did not purchase this as I was unsure of the offline capabilities of TIDAL (it just makes things super easy). They were unsure about it and it was a deal breaker for me. They really should have clarified the feature before putting it up for funding.

May 23, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #1,679 of 6,857
In HiBys defense, they never promised offline for Tidal. They said they were going to work on it, but never said it was guaranteed. It'll be a different story if LDAC isn't implemented as they advertised it when the R3 first went up for sale, and only removed it from their advertising as Sony requested them to until it's fully certified.

May 23, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #1,680 of 6,857
The good news is that we have been given the go-ahead to integrate clients for at least two other streaming services into the R3. Given the existing work done for our first client (TIDAL) adding these clients won't take long

These "two other streaming services" are what? And the "clients won't take long" translates to when?
Please don't be cheeky here - some direct honesty and clear, professional communication would be welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back