The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Apr 24, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #1,186 of 6,857
Easier said than done! good for you that you could do it. I couldn't... :wink:

100% agreed :)

Yeah, and mounting debt is a good deterrent, too.

@ Lost‍:

Yes it’s totally understandable & rent is a fairly large priority in our lives as are food & utility’s etc.
So makes absolute sense if you can live with your current option then down the road in a year or two when you’ve left the ranks of mind expansion & start your own must have start up & make your 1st Millin The you can satisfy the urge to scratch!
Hey in 9-12/18 months there’ll be an R1, R9, 11 & whatever much better in every way & likely less expensive as well.
I do understand as I was originally going to get the R6 a few mths back but the exchange rate killed the great deal it was on KS so I jumped @ this opportunity to get pretty much 90% of the R6 for maybe 70% off the price off, so um good till the next gen

Cheers...

That's pretty much what I told myself before I cancelled my pledge--A year from now, there will be a newer version of the R3 or maybe even of the N3... just wait.. those will likely be better.

Apr 24, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #1,187 of 6,857
A year from now, there will be a newer version of the R3 or maybe even of the N3... just wait.. those will likely be better.
That can always be said for every TV / car / PC / smartphone / DAP / amp / .......... :wink:

We have to keep in mind that for most of us it is a hobby. As such, we should not go above our financial ability or comfort zone. Getting into debt for ANY hobby is not smart.

Apr 24, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #1,190 of 6,857
Yeah, even with my girl hands I find the captive buttons frustrating to use.. but if I didn't have the N3, I definitely would've stuck with the R3.

But I had a moment of clarity, in the shower, of course... I saw myself ab'ing this against the N3, and then thinking, "***, I should've spent the money on food."

That's good restraint! Stick with this and you'll do great. Holding out is not a bad thing as next time, your expenses are settled, you have disposable income from savings, and you can get a R4/5 successor probably with more features (AptX HD, more streaming) at a similar price :)

I feel you, had to make sure my DP-S1 was sold on before taking a hit on this. Cheers!

Edit: I just saw your headphone inventory and that is a great base that doesn't need much upgrading unless you splurge. Very nice :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #1,191 of 6,857
That can always be said for every TV / car / PC / smartphone / DAP / amp / .......... :wink:

We have to keep in mind that for most of us it is a hobby. As such, we should not go above our financial ability or comfort zone. Getting into debt for ANY hobby is not smart.

Oh I've made a lot of bad purchases... and not bad because they weren't any good or not up to snuff.. but because I ultimately didn't need them in relation to what I already had..

Like why did I get an r70x when I have an HD650? Oh, because I wanted an Audio-Technica, that's why.

That's good restraint! Stick with this and you'll do great. Holding out is not a bad thing as next time, your expenses are settled, you have disposable income from savings, and you can get a R4/5 successor probably with more features (AptX HD, more streaming) at a similar price :)

I feel you, had to make sure my DP-S1 was sold on before taking a hit on this. Cheers!

Edit: I just saw your headphone inventory and that is a great base that doesn't need much upgrading unless you splurge. Very nice :thumbsup:

I've actually had a lot more headphones and other audio gear before... but to get something, I tend to sell something.. so what you see now are the remnants of a sold-off collection.

I just hope future iterations of the R3 remain android-free.
Please remain android-free :pray:

Apr 24, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #1,192 of 6,857
Oh I've made a lot of bad purchases... and not bad because they weren't any good or not up to snuff.. but because I ultimately didn't need them in relation to what I already had..

Like why did I get an r70x when I have an HD650? Oh, because I wanted an Audio-Technica, that's why.

I've actually had a lot more headphones and other audio gear before... but to get something, I tend to sell something.. so what you see now are the remnants of a sold-off collection.

Agree with you on android being the evil one here. If you don't have issues with the AKM4490 signature then i don't see any reason for you to get the R3. Wait that gorgeous touch screen, imagine the album art on it and not to mention touch screen. I don't know if you'd be interested in using Tidal but thats one more thing. I personally don't use tidal and still have backed it for its portability and gorgeous touch screen.

Apr 25, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #1,193 of 6,857

@ Lost Cosmonaut:

Hey NY Cosmonaut, I hear ya loud & Clear!
Been there done that as I have a closet full of dozens & dozens of used, some fairly new audio gear & cables, speakers etc that I’ve replaced in my audio system over the years that I’ve just been to leary or lazy to get around to sell!
To be honest I hate looking at all the things in there seeing all that $ sitting there depriving me of purchasing more of the same & doingvit again!
I guess it’s human nature for some of us, welll at least it is for me unfortunately.

So with this latest fork in my audio journey from a few years back I’m trying to tread more carefully as revisiting that $ is kinda scaring me & im running outta room in my closet never mind my audio rack & computer desk!

I think you’ll be ok, you’ve made the 1st step in admitting it & the 2nd step in fighting the urge so cheers, good for you!

As for me, I’ll see how I fare after I get the R3 then my new ORA Graphene Q BT Headphones on KS/Indiegogo this summer and then if Hiby jumps us with a new R1 or R9 or whatever at the end of this year or early next year, I’ll see how strong my resolve is! : !

Apr 25, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #1,194 of 6,857
Agree with you on android being the evil one here. If you don't have issues with the AKM4490 signature then i don't see any reason for you to get the R3. Wait that gorgeous touch screen, imagine the album art on it and not to mention touch screen. I don't know if you'd be interested in using Tidal but thats one more thing. I personally don't use tidal and still have backed it for its portability and gorgeous touch screen.

I think the cube ish design is georgous! It's like a turbo supercharged M2. Oh yeah the screen looks like oled, can't wait to see it in the flesh Floyd. The cayin n5ii's screen hurt my eyes with it's suckyness, I'm not a screen snob but it looked like they put blue cellophane over the screen. :dizzy_face::cry: of course I may be exaggerating a touch for dramatic effect but.....

Screen was bad!

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #1,195 of 6,857

Next time go to Sam's club and buy that huge box of instant ramen noodles and eat those for the next month- super cheap- food problem solved and more money for gears:) I've lived on those things for weeks, back in the day. Of course it's very hard to eat the same thing every day and can reek serious havoc on your digestive system. The secret is to not use the whole spice packet, you know to keep the sodium below heart attack levels.

But no pain no gain ha ha.

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #1,196 of 6,857
Next time go to Sam's club and buy that huge box of instant ramen noodles and eat those for the next month- super cheap- food problem solved and more money for gears:) I've lived on those things for weeks, back in the day. Of course it's very hard to eat the same thing every day and can reek serious havoc on your digestive system. The secret is to not use the whole spice packet, you know to keep the sodium below heart attack levels.

But no pain no gain ha ha.

I have nothing against instant noodles and love ramen, but health is important if not you can't enjoy the gear! :sweat_smile: Agreed the R3 is like a supercharged M1/M2. I found the M1 sound underwhelming despite the hardware and software, so I hope I'm luckier this time!

Apr 25, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #1,197 of 6,857
As a side note about expenses, after me and my wife going vegan, my monthly food costs have dropped drastically. It is like I am spending 70% less for food. And in turn we are also getting healthier. I never thought I could do it without meat and dairy, but trust me if I did anyone can do.

Apr 25, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #1,198 of 6,857
Sadly, I retracted my pledge. As much as I want the R3 ( since it's not an android-based DAP), I couldn't justify buying it when I have a perfectly good N3.. When it comes to this hobby, one has to exercise some discipline, especially when one is a poor student.

Respect!!!
Sounds like a good decision.
The N3 is really nice and the APP makes it quite user friendly too.

Good to hear a sane voice in the whole "new toy frenzy"

Apr 25, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #1,199 of 6,857
Just cancelled a super early bird R3 backing (I had 2...)
One of you guys on the fence can pick it up :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back