The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Aug 19, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #5,746 of 6,845
Why cannot developers from HiBy unblock 20000 songs limitation? Apparently is it possible (ask Snoopy112 for help). I wanted to buy a bigger card (256gb now) and it would be only wasted money 'cause my Flac and mp3 collection is 17000 now.

Snoopy112's custom firmware works great! I would not have ordered the R3 if it wasn't for the Snoopy112 firmware. With his firmware, you are not limited to 20,000 songs. I have a 400 gb micro sd card and it works fine. In fact, even if I didn't have over 20.000 songs, I'd still use the custom firmware because I like the user interface better.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #5,747 of 6,845
Snoopy112's custom firmware works great! With his firmware, you are not limited to 20,000 songs. I have a 400 gb micro sd card and it works fine. In fact, even if I didn't have over 20.000 songs, I'd still use the customer firmware (I like the user interface better).
I know but if it is possible, why cannot we have such thing in original FW? It is a shame. On the other hand what if Snoopy112 will buy some other DAP in the near future and will no more interested in R3?

Aug 19, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #5,748 of 6,845
I know but if it is possible, why cannot we have such thing in original FW? It is a shame. On the other hand what if Snoopy112 will buy some other DAP in the near future and will no more interested in R3?

If they advertised a maximum of 12 songs on their player, that would be their choice, and... it's your choice to decide if you want to buy one.
Hiby advertises the R3 as having a 20,000 song maximum. This is something that we know before making the purchase. You chose to buy one. If there is fault here, it's not Hiby's.
Snoopy112, has done us a favor. It's not his responsibility, If he chose to never update future firmware, that is his choice.

Aug 19, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #5,749 of 6,845
I just got my Hiby R3 and it really is a great little DAP. Anyone know if it is possible to use a Bluetooth headset and have the microphone be recognized when in USB Dac Mode? It works wonderfully for just headphones, but I was hoping for headset (headphone with microphone) functionality.

Aug 19, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #5,750 of 6,845
I just got my Hiby R3 and it really is a great little DAP. Anyone know if it is possible to use a Bluetooth headset and have the microphone be recognized when in USB Dac Mode? It works wonderfully for just headphones, but I was hoping for headset (headphone with microphone) functionality.

This isn't a function that I use, but I believe it was mentioned in their instruction manual. Here is a link to their PDF file.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1d7dt_tLJfNlNjqY34540SK2Fi2logRH0

Aug 20, 2019 at 1:53 AM Post #5,751 of 6,845
I hope this question hasn't already been asked (I searched and couldn't find an answer).

I am having difficulty with the "shuffle" option. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
I go to "play setting" and set "play mode" to "shuffle" and then click "Ok."
The problem is, that it only seems to shuffle songs that are inside of a particular folder.
For instance: If the last song I played was from Alice Cooper's "Billion Dollar Babies" then it will only shuffle songs from that album.
Is there a way to have the unit shuffle every song on my dap and not just songs limited to one folder?
Hello ChuckWagon,

It depends on how you started the playback. Shuffle shuffles within the list you selected the track from. If, with the shuffle option on, you go to the Songs tab (which lists every song on your card, if your library scan of it is up to date) and pick a song from there, shuffle will shuffle among all songs on the card as you desire.
:)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 20, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #5,752 of 6,845
If they advertised a maximum of 12 songs on their player, that would be their choice, and... it's your choice to decide if you want to buy one.
Hiby advertises the R3 as having a 20,000 song maximum. This is something that we know before making the purchase. You chose to buy one. If there is fault here, it's not Hiby's.
Snoopy112, has done us a favor. It's not his responsibility, If he chose to never update future firmware, that is his choice.
I completely understand what you wrote. Of course, I knew R3 had this limitation before my purchase. I have just an opinion (as a developer too) that if it is something doable, why not to just do it? Theoretical size limitation of R3 is 2TB, so 20000 files limitation might be a problem for some.

Aug 20, 2019 at 4:08 AM Post #5,753 of 6,845
Hello ChuckWagon,It depends on how you started the playback. Shuffle shuffles within the list you selected the track from. If, with the shuffle option on, you go to the Songs tab (which lists every song on your card, if your library scan of it is up to date) and pick a song from there, shuffle will shuffle among all songs on the card as you desire.
:)

Perfect! That makes complete sense to me. Thanks for responding with an answer. It seems very logical, but I probably wouldn't have figured this out. Thanks again!

I completely understand what you wrote. Of course, I knew R3 had this limitation before my purchase. I have just an opinion (as a developer too) that if it is something doable, why not to just do it? Theoretical size limitation of R3 is 2TB, so 20000 files limitation might be a problem for some.

In my previous response, I sure got a little heavy with the bold text. Guess who didn't have a good day today? I have to admit that I thought the same thing (max 2 tb but only a 20,000 song limitation). I read somewhere that Hiby did the limitation because they wanted the unit to run smoothly. With Snoopy112's custom firmware, I've had it up to over 50,000 songs and it lagged slightly, but over all, it ran just fine.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #5,754 of 6,845
Hi guys, I did not even try to find an answer on this question in these more than 300 pages. Sorry in advance if it is already repeated anywere earlier.
I have a trouble in logging into free Wifi networks, if it is requried to click OK or provide any basic info before you get an access. On Android you get re-directed to Web-page, where you can click or write what's needed. On R3 there is nothing. No internet brouser options to make it manually.
I ususally need it when logging in wifi in hotels, fitness studios etc.
Could you inform if anybody has a solution or may be Hiby would think about this the option in the future FW?
I really love the size and weight of the player and do not want to carry an android brick in the gym.

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #5,755 of 6,845
Hi guys, I did not even try to find an answer on this question in these more than 300 pages. Sorry in advance if it is already repeated anywere earlier.
I have a trouble in logging into free Wifi networks, if it is requried to click OK or provide any basic info before you get an access. On Android you get re-directed to Web-page, where you can click or write what's needed. On R3 there is nothing. No internet brouser options to make it manually.
I ususally need it when logging in wifi in hotels, fitness studios etc.
Could you inform if anybody has a solution or may be Hiby would think about this the option in the future FW?
I really love the size and weight of the player and do not want to carry an android brick in the gym.
Sorry to tell you this, but the R3 is not an Android device. There is no internet browser.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #5,757 of 6,845
Sorry to tell you this, but the R3 is not an Android device. There is no internet browser.

But it isn't a sport equipment too (but has a pedometer

I know that R3 has a proprietary OS based I believe on Linux. I am just saying that if it's dedicated for streaming music from Tidal, why it does not allow connections to open WiFis, which require identifications?
As I understand it needs to add some brouser app finctionality in the FW.
On the other hand Hiby included a pedometer, which is useless for many of us, because I use Garmin or Suunto for activities tracking.
Could Joe give a remark please?

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #5,758 of 6,845
Yes, second me on this. The radio function on the R3 is great, but only really of any use at home (where I already have a radio). Would be great for work, but that requires me to click OK on an acceptance screen, so I’m currently out of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back