The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
May 12, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #5,507 of 6,857
If misdetection of in-line remote commands is the problem (this can be caused by dirty contacts on the headphone jack) you can always switch off the "in-line remote" option in System settings.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 12, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #5,510 of 6,857
Well, my R3 is being returned...

Out of the blue (literally), my screen changed hues and shortly thereafter became scrambled. If you ever saw an old TV CRT have horizontal stabilization problems, that’s what it looks like.

I reset to factory settings and it kept reverting. After 5 or 6 tries, I threw in the towel and contacted Amazon for a return. It’s been approved and my return label/instructions are waiting for me to download. Unfortunately, I’m out of town on business until the 16th, so I can’t get it gone till I get back... No jams on this trip !

Now, my quandary is whether to risk another R3 or get an M2x...

May 12, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #5,511 of 6,857
Hmm, I don't see how we can arrange that without splitting the firmware tree. :|

Bummer, I was hoping that you could use the radio button to switch between three options. My thinking was that the other radio button would have the radio view show up instead of Tidal. What about having it via a setting in the menu?

Actually, I'll restate the issue that I have rather than proposing solutions.

I don't use Tidal or Qobuz, instead, I use free internet radio.

The internet radio has a couple usage related issues:
1. it's too many menu items down
2. favorites don't work, so I can't even see them in favorites

I'd love to have internet radio work in a more user-friendly manner.

May 12, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #5,512 of 6,857
Actually upon factory reset, the default mode of the in line remote setting was off. Though the setting could have been on before the factory reset happened; I don't remember. I also don't recall ever altering the setting, however.

May 13, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #5,513 of 6,857
I've had the R3 for 3 or 4 months and I really like it! It serves as a source to my portable DAC/AMPs, a LDAC source for my Sony WH100XM2s, and in a pinch a DAP for my IEMs. However, I have two questions.

1. Is gapless playback possible from Tidal? Tidal is gapless on the IOS app and also with Roon. It would be nice if Tidal would play gaplessly on the R3 also. The gapless playback setting on the R3 seems to only affect playing files off of the SD card.
2. When connected to the iFi iDSD Micro BL using iFis USB-C to USB-A female adapter, i cannot get the iFi to render in MQA (purple light). Again this works fine with the IOS Tidal app and also with Roon. I can see the bit rate light on the iFi change to a higher bit rate, but I'd like the R3 to pass the MQA through to the iFi. I swear it used to do this a month ago. Is there something different about the newer firmware? Am I missing a setting on the R3?

May 14, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #5,514 of 6,857
2. When connected to the iFi iDSD Micro BL using iFis USB-C to USB-A female adapter, i cannot get the iFi to render in MQA (purple light). Again this works fine with the IOS Tidal app and also with Roon. I can see the bit rate light on the iFi change to a higher bit rate, but I'd like the R3 to pass the MQA through to the iFi. I swear it used to do this a month ago. Is there something different about the newer firmware? Am I missing a setting on the R3?

I'm doing exactly that, but with an xDSD. You need to have high gain set and volume at 100%, also all EQ etc must be off as all these digitally alter the signal so its no longer bit-perfect. Set all those correctly and you should get purple on the iFi DAC.

May 14, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #5,515 of 6,857
Actually upon factory reset, the default mode of the in line remote setting was off. Though the setting could have been on before the factory reset happened; I don't remember. I also don't recall ever altering the setting, however.
Then, other than ensuring clean contacts (and turning the jack around a few times to get all the weirdness out of the way) there may be nothing for it but to send the player in for repair. Sorry about that :/

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 14, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #5,516 of 6,857
I'm doing exactly that, but with an xDSD. You need to have high gain set and volume at 100%, also all EQ etc must be off as all these digitally alter the signal so its no longer bit-perfect. Set all those correctly and you should get purple on the iFi DAC.

Thank you! It was the volume. I thought that the volume had no effect when in USB mode (although sometimes i feel like it did). I recently set the volume to 25 upon boot because I almost had an incident with an iem and the volume at 100.

May 15, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #5,517 of 6,857
Thank you! It was the volume. I thought that the volume had no effect when in USB mode (although sometimes i feel like it did). I recently set the volume to 25 upon boot because I almost had an incident with an iem and the volume at 100.

Been there done that. A good habit I've got into is no matter what audio device I'm using I always set the volume to minimum before plugging in IEM's or headphones.

May 15, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #5,518 of 6,857
My R3 is coming tomorrow and I was just wondering what people really think of Tidal. I did the 30 day free "standard" account but wondering if there really is a difference between the higher level "lossless" account. Can people really hear the difference? I know you cant download Tidal to the R3 and that is ok. Do many people here subscribe?
Thanks
Jason

May 16, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #5,519 of 6,857
Hi guys

i need little help here. I am actually enjoying the R3 for when I am out and about with my IEMS. I am trying (desperately) to use as a DLNA renderer connected to my music library on the NAS. Plays fine the 1st track but then it doesn't move down the playlist. I've tried it with Jriver, audirnvana and mconnect. Nothing.
Anybody could help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back