The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
May 6, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #5,461 of 6,853
I received my R3 a few weeks ago and updated to 3.1 via OTA. However, I don't see the Radio on the Top Bar. It also won't read my custom radio txt file. I manually downloaded v 3.0, but I get file error when I try to update.

What next?

Radio on the top bar is in my custom FW, try to manually update with 3.1 FW from link in my signature (or p.360). If you have chinese version of r3, rename r3_cn.upt to r3.upt first.

May 6, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #5,462 of 6,853
No offline for qobuz or Tidal on R3

Can someone confirm that the R3 does not have offline support for music in qobuz?.

I have an idea that would make it far more straight forward for potential buyers to find out about what their actually buying. A detailed wiki on the manufactures website that answered these questions. I know Hiby have a wiki, but I can't see any info regarding the DAP's ability to store Qobuz music for offline playback.

It's a easy mistake to make when websites are not as transparent as they could be. Though the Hiby website does state, " The R3 can be connected to the Tidal and Qobuz ONLINE music library via Wi-Fi ". Though it does not say the R3 can not store this music for offline playback. The Qobuz app stores music for offline music on my smartphone. So I presumed a dedicated music DAP would also. Why dosn't the R3 have the "smart" Qobuz offline feature?.

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #5,465 of 6,853
Radio on the top bar is in my custom FW, try to manually update with 3.1 FW from link in my signature (or p.360). If you have chinese version of r3, rename r3_cn.upt to r3.upt first.

Thanks. So I get playback errors on all of my url's . I have to fix that first. I also haven't been able to update any firmware via the sd card. Only OTA.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #5,466 of 6,853
Thanks. So I get playback errors on all of my url's . I have to fix that first. I also haven't been able to update any firmware via the sd card. Only OTA.
Did you try both the international and Chinese versions on my repo here?
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtuiwfIBRYFEga55nagqqGZVWpGbFA
The way to tell whether your unit is Chinese or International is:
Go to menu->about and look at the Capacity line. If the used and total capacities are separated by a slanted slash / , you have the Chinese version; if by a vertical separator | , you have the international version. You need to flash Chinese firmware for the Chinese device and International firmware for the International device.
(this is assuming that a custom theme doesn't change the above distinction)
difference.jpg

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 7, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #5,467 of 6,853
Did you try both the international and Chinese versions on my repo here?
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtuiwfIBRYFEga55nagqqGZVWpGbFA
The way to tell whether your unit is Chinese or International is:
Go to menu->about and look at the Capacity line. If the used and total capacities are separated by a slanted slash / , you have the Chinese version; if by a vertical separator | , you have the international version. You need to flash Chinese firmware for the Chinese device and International firmware for the International device.
(this is assuming that a custom theme doesn't change the above distinction)
]

That was it Joe.

Thanks

Weird thing is that I ordered mine directly from Musiteck here in the States. I would have thought it would have been the international version. But I fixed my radio URL's and now this. Great little player.

May 7, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #5,468 of 6,853
[QUOTE="Scarpad, post: 14911230, member: 41202"

Can someone point me at some documentation that goes thru some of the play and settings menu. I looked at some of the Hiby wiki docs and none are too detailed[/QUOTE]

Sometimes a lack of information is a way some manufactures sell more products. And that is the bottom line, sell as many quantities as possible. Then bring out another half baked player for the next round. The problem is there is not much of a cost and possible more of a quick profit for DAP's with inferior implementation of google services (compared to phones). Since it would seem the average customer base has grown accustomed to DAP's being released that have many software related Bugs. So, rather then certain DAP manufactures having to spend time getting their DAP's firmware's up to a stable release standard, they can (and do) send out beta version. And the DAP Fanboys hope the devs will fix the beta firmware eventually. Maybe one of the reasons why there are so many second hand (but relatively unused and new) DAP’s being resold soon after purchase is a symptom of this poor release standard. A standard that has become the norm because DAP Fanboys like new toys even when they arrive already broken ( hehe. Obviously written for an emotional hook response. e.g. I’m a DAP (ultimately music) “Fanboy”) .

May 7, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #5,470 of 6,853
I just ordered the R3. Question, when connected via the Type-C port to a USB port, can the player itself be used to output audio (play the stored audio off the player off the SD card) and charge at the same time or does it play only?

Thank you in advance.

When the R3 is connected to "a USB port" (say on a computer), it can continue to output audio while being charged.

When the R3 is connected to a USB audio device via an OTG connection (R3->OTG adapter->USB cable), it will output audio to the device while charging that device, if that device requires it.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 8, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #5,471 of 6,853
When the R3 is connected to "a USB port" (say on a computer), it can continue to output audio while being charged.

When the R3 is connected to a USB audio device via an OTG connection (R3->OTG adapter->USB cable), it will output audio to the device while charging that device, if that device requires it.

Thank you for your reply! :relaxed:

May 8, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #5,472 of 6,853
Hi,

I've just received the Hiby R3 today ( mistake purchase as I presumed it would play Qobuz offline library). It's a very nice little DAP. I prefer it compared to the Activo CT10 both in form factor and firmware. BUT, why doesn't this player have the Qobuz offline music library feature?. It's not fundamentally a technical reason as other DAP's,smartphones, PC's etc do. I presume it's not a legal reason also as Qobuz does allow an import music for offline playback feature. So why?. Maybe the manufacturers have a subjective personal reason?. But, the Hiby is a portable player, a portable player where you can't take the music (in the case of Qobuz) with you (i.e. Tied to Wifi)

I've emailed the Hiby team regarding this topic but I get the impression their avoiding the question. Like politicians do when they either don't know the answer or want to hide the facts. So if there are no genuine practical reasons for not having the Qobuz offline library feature are there any plans to implement this feature and if so what time frame?. Thanks in advance for your honesty. It pays (well,unless your selling dodgy used cars than it "pays" to not metion the faults unless their is a regulator whom mitigates such corruption) , provided the recipient is also a honest person. i.e. genuine in there behaviours ( free from fraud or deception).

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #5,473 of 6,853
Hi,

I've just received the Hiby R3 today ( mistake purchase as I presumed it would play Qobuz offline library). It's a very nice little DAP. I prefer it compared to the Activo CT10 both in form factor and firmware. BUT, why doesn't this player have the Qobuz offline music library?. It's not fundamentally a technical reason as other DAP's,smartphones, PC's etc do. I presume it's not a legal reason also as Qobuz does allow an import music for offline playback feature. So why?. Maybe the manufacturers have a subjective personal reason?. But, the Hiby is a portable player, a portable player where you can't take the music (in the case of Qobuz) with you.

I've emailed the Hiby team regarding this topic but I get the impression their avoiding the question. Like politicians do when they either don't know the answer or want to hide the facts. So if there are no genuine practical reasons for not having the Qobuz offline library feature are there any plans to implement this feature and if so what time frame?. Thanks in advance for your honesty. It pays, provided the recipient is also a honest person. i.e. Genuine in there behaviours ( free from fraud or deception).

Hi!

I do not understand your problem, while reading ebook , count your step, if we will be lucky, next FW have Tamagochi.

:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

May 8, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #5,474 of 6,853
Hi!

I do not understand your problem, while reading ebook , count your step, if we will be lucky, next FW have Tamagochi.

:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Hi,

I'm asking why the Hiby R3 does not have the Qobuz offline music library?. The count your steps feature is cute, but not particulary a great feature in a modern day DAP. In general,there is a growing demand for finding music using streaming sevices and then people want the freedom to listen to their favourite music when their not near a Wifi signal (i.e. offline library feature). DAP maufacturers need to pay attention to this or as soon as android smart phones stop restricting good audio quality (due to customer demand) the DAP's industry will be "game over". Which would be a missed opportunity as small poratble DAP's that play HQ music fit a market niche, due to there ultra portability (unless there is no offline music playback in streaming services. Which is not very portable if you can't take the DAP outside so as to listen to that great track you just heard in the clean fresh air (unless you live in a place where the Air is not healthy). I suppose you could always listen to music with the sound of birds, the wind rush of the rustle of tree leaves and streaming water and pretend your not breathing in Nitrogen Oxide (Not funny i know especially if your a young child as inhailing Nitrogen Oxide at that age can ruin your health for life. Oppp!, off topic, well not really as all manufacturers have there role to play in managing their own pollution levels ).

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #5,475 of 6,853
Hi,

I'm asking why the Hiby R3 does not have the Qobuz offline music library?. The count your steps feature is cute, but not particulary a great feature in a modern day DAP. In general,there is a growing demand for finding music using streaming sevices and then people want the freedom to listen to their favourite music when their not near a Wifi signal (i.e. offline library feature). DAP maufacturers need to pay attention to this or as soon as android smart phones stop restricting good audio quality (due to customer demand) the DAP's industry will be "game over". Which would be a missed opportunity as small poratble player that plays HQ music fit a market niche, due to there ultra portability (unless their is no offline music playback in streaming services ).
I can see MRobi is being sarcastic :wink:

I am asking home base about the Qobuz issue... hopefully will have an answer soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back