The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jan 25, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #5,116 of 6,859
I think you can change that when you customise the UI. Also the EQ icons as well. I remember doing it for the Shanling M2s. I changed the names of the EQ profiles to the headphone model name and changed the icon to the manufacturer logo. e.g. one of the EQ profiles was named HD380 and had the Sennheiser logo as the icon.

This was a while ago. Word of warning, M2s is also a Hiby OS so I'm taking a massive leap of assumption to 'connect these dots'. I've yet to attempt a custom UI on the R3 so I have no further info.
Thanks for that hint, I never digged into that topic so... I will see what I can realize there.. too bad Hiby offers that for mseb but not for EQ itself.
well.. I will try :)

Jan 27, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #5,117 of 6,859
Is there not a way to 'time out' to the 'now playing' screen? Or the option to unlock to the 'now playing' screen? It appears I can only access it manually. It's the nicest layout on the OS and it'll be nice to see a bit more of it.

Jan 27, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #5,118 of 6,859
I got a HIBY R3 thinking (naively) that the USB-C coaxial cable would allow me to use it with Modi 3, Leckerton UHA6s-MKii etc. But the end of the coaxial cable is I think one used by Mojo rather than one used by other SPDIF inputs. Do any of you know if you can find a cable that lets you from the USBC of the HIBY R3 to the other kind of SPDIF... (Hope this question is clear...)

Jan 27, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #5,119 of 6,859
I probably missed this, but I just got an R3 and new 128gb sandisk microsd card. I loaded music onto card, no problem, the device sees the files and accesses them when I click through the file submenu, but when I update database, the device crashes at 2772 files every time. I've tried a second sd card, reformats, updated firmware to 2.1, rolled back through to 1.5 and all with no apparent effect.

Am I missing something? Is this a known error?

Thanks

Jan 31, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #5,121 of 6,859
I have to say that I am a little disappointed with the R3. I bought a pair of Sony WH-1000X M3's to pair with the R3 and utilize the LDAC functionality and I have not had a very good experience with the pair. I can not seem to stream Tidal and listen through the M3's without several drop outs. I can stream Tidal and listen through wired IEMS and or headphones without a hitch. Just to make sure my issue wasn't with the M3's I loaded up Tidal on an old Samsung Galaxy S8 that supports LDAC and Tidal MQA and I experienced zero drop outs. Does anyone have a similar experience?

I've been reading up on the Fiio M6 and I think that it (at this point) has more potential as far as streaming service goes, and possibly bluetooth radio strength.

Wanted to add that I also tried the R3 as an output from my MacBook and had the same drop outs while connected to the Sony M3's.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #5,122 of 6,859
I have to say that I am a little disappointed with the R3. I bought a pair of Sony WH-1000X M3's to pair with the R3 and utilize the LDAC functionality and I have not had a very good experience with the pair. I can not seem to stream Tidal and listen through the M3's without several drop outs. I can stream Tidal and listen through wired IEMS and or headphones without a hitch. Just to make sure my issue wasn't with the M3's I loaded up Tidal on an old Samsung Galaxy S8 that supports LDAC and Tidal MQA and I experienced zero drop outs. Does anyone have a similar experience?

I've been reading up on the Fiio M6 and I think that it (at this point) has more potential as far as streaming service goes, and possibly bluetooth radio strength.

Wanted to add that I also tried the R3 as an output from my MacBook and had the same drop outs while connected to the Sony M3's.

My experience with WH-1000XM2 was similar to yours; with the crappy BT/WLAN chip in R3 you simply can't stream Tidal and send LDAC Quality ( 990Kbps ) BT at the same time.

With Fiio M6 this is possible - but not necessary as you can first save the Tidal tracks offline on M6 and then stream LDAC Quality to XM3. The chip in M6 performs better in my experience: the same drop outs only occur when you stream Tidal MQA and send LDAC Quality to BT; but as I said, you will not be limited to streaming Tidal all the time.

Feb 1, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #5,124 of 6,859
I got a HIBY R3 thinking (naively) that the USB-C coaxial cable would allow me to use it with Modi 3, Leckerton UHA6s-MKii etc. But the end of the coaxial cable is I think one used by Mojo rather than one used by other SPDIF inputs. Do any of you know if you can find a cable that lets you from the USBC of the HIBY R3 to the other kind of SPDIF... (Hope this question is clear...)

Have you tried connecting a 3.5mm to RCA adapter to our adapter? That should work.

I probably missed this, but I just got an R3 and new 128gb sandisk microsd card. I loaded music onto card, no problem, the device sees the files and accesses them when I click through the file submenu, but when I update database, the device crashes at 2772 files every time. I've tried a second sd card, reformats, updated firmware to 2.1, rolled back through to 1.5 and all with no apparent effect.

Thanks

Sorry, this does happen to one unfortunately tagged track from time to time. I'm going to find the tagging troubleshooting tool from HiBy and post it here, please pm me for updates if I'm not back in a day or two.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 2, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #5,126 of 6,859
@Joe Bloggs

I think I may be confused with my terms. I'm looking for a way to get data from the coaxial output of the HiBy R3 to the SPDIF input on the Modi 3. Cayin has the CS-30TCR cable and Fiio the L21. Is there a kind of adapter that would work from the HiBy coax adapter to the Modi 3? I can find 3.5mm adapters to RCA but not to a SPDIF...

Hope I'm using my terms right! Trying to use the HiBy R3 as a digital transport. Thanks!

Feb 2, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #5,127 of 6,859
Hello @imackler ,

As far as I can tell the S/PDIF input of the devices you mentioned is RCA-shaped. So given that the R3's S/PDIF adapter comes out as a 3.5mm jack, converting that into an RCA jack should give you S/PDIF over RCA.

Best regards,
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 3, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #5,128 of 6,859

Thanks
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtuiwfIBRYFEgcdPBn9Bx3OnQegAYA

Please download and unzip the following PC application, run HiByMusic.exe and select Tools->Meta Scanner and point it to the songs on your R3 (after connecting it to the computer via USB as storage device, of course).

Then send the meta_log.txt generated in the HiByMusic PC folder to me for analysis.

Thanks.

Feb 4, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #5,129 of 6,859
Is there a secret handshake or something to get the R3 to see the album art cover. I have it in the folder for each album as a jpg 500x500 resolution and it only shows random artwork. No method to the madness. The R3 functions properly and I love listening to it but I'm one of those persons that has to look at the album cover even though I know what I'm listening to! I feel it's not complete unless the artwork is displayed properly. Call me crazy!!
If it helps I use a MacBook to load the FLAC files and artwork directly to the MicroSD card.

Feb 4, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #5,130 of 6,859
Is there a secret handshake or something to get the R3 to see the album art cover. I have it in the folder for each album as a jpg 500x500 resolution and it only shows random artwork. No method to the madness. The R3 functions properly and I love listening to it but I'm one of those persons that has to look at the album cover even though I know what I'm listening to! I feel it's not complete unless the artwork is displayed properly. Call me crazy!!
If it helps I use a MacBook to load the FLAC files and artwork directly to the MicroSD card.
I use a program called Mp3Tag on my windows machine. I'm pretty sure they have a mac verion. Watch a yt video on the software, it works really well for tagging your albums with correct artwork. Once you drag/paste your album/song inside mp3tag window then drag your artwork into the lower left winow and save the file..it tags all those tracks with the artwork. Simple to use, hard to explain.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back