The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Dec 7, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #4,879 of 6,859
Everything is in my Dropbox
Link
Thanks for this. I try running the setup and get this error message.

ERROR: Pre-installation of 'C:\Program Files\Thesycon\TUSBAudio_Driver\tusbaudioks.inf' failed.
Please run setup again!

==============================
Installation failed.

I've tried excluding the file and folder from Windows Defender and antiviruses.

Edit: figured it out. had to disable driver signature enforcement.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #4,880 of 6,859
Thanks for this. I try running the setup and get this error message.

ERROR: Pre-installation of 'C:\Program Files\Thesycon\TUSBAudio_Driver\tusbaudioks.inf' failed.
Please run setup again!

Installation failed.

I've tried excluding the file and folder from Windows Defender and antiviruses.

Edit: figured it out. had to disable driver signature enforcement.
Follow the instruction in the PDF file and disable windows driver signature before installation.

Dec 8, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #4,881 of 6,859
I am looking to replace my Pono, one thing it excels in is gapless m FLAC to DSF/DFF - does the HiBy also support seamless palyback?

Dec 8, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #4,883 of 6,859
Any black R3’s for sale?
Only boxed in mint condition please.
(Brown leather slip case too if poss)

Dec 8, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #4,884 of 6,859
but combined with the mojo who plays the r3 or m0 better?

I've got both and I plan to keep both. They serve different functions for me. When it comes to SE output, M0 is just better overall. Balanced sounds really good in R3 (no Bal on M0, obvs). Truth be told, I bought both for their respective form factor. I got the R3 for a single purpose - to become a transport for the Chord Mojo (a poor man's Poly, if you like) and I got the M0 to be a bluetooth receiver for my iPhone. Ironically, I bought neither for the intention of using it as a pure DAP.

With HibyLink, LDAC, USB and coax out, DLNA (sort of) and a lovely touchscreen, I believe it to be more along the lines of what Chord should have made. Regardless, it's the form factor that makes the R3 the obvious choice for a Mojo stack. Especially with the 3D printed case posted on this thread. Same reason I preferred the M2s over the M1 as a Mojo transport last year. With a touchscreen, the screen size becomes more important than ever. Until Shanling releases the Shanling app for Android/iOS, its not much of a contest IMO. The reason why I chose to up/sidegrade from the M2s is the option for coax. Dunno if it makes the foggiest bit difference but I like having the option should I decide to get paranoid about it later on. Having said that, I also know that a bit's a bit's a bit. Things might be different if using sensitive IEMs but I wouldn't know about that (thanks to cauliflower ears).

With a higher HP out, LDAC and native AAC support for BT, the Shanling M0 is the BEST Bluetooth receiver (sans mic for phone calls) I have ever owned. Especially if your device has been noosed a by half eaten fruit. The clip is also incredibly handy. I use a Senn HD380 for this, but more importantly, I never use IEMs so please add salt to preferred taste.

Dec 8, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #4,885 of 6,859
I've got both and I plan to keep both. They serve different functions for me. When it comes to SE output, M0 is just better overall. Balanced sounds really good in R3 (no Bal on M0, obvs). Truth be told, I bought both for their respective form factor. I got the R3 for a single purpose - to become a transport for the Chord Mojo (a poor man's Poly, if you like) and I got the M0 to be a bluetooth receiver for my iPhone. Ironically, I bought neither for the intention of using it as a pure DAP.

With HibyLink, LDAC, USB and coax out, DLNA (sort of) and a lovely touchscreen, I believe it to be more along the lines of what Chord should have made. Regardless, it's the form factor that makes the R3 the obvious choice for a Mojo stack. Especially with the 3D printed case posted on this thread. Same reason I preferred the M2s over the M1 as a Mojo transport last year. With a touchscreen, the screen size becomes more important than ever. Until Shanling releases the Shanling app for Android/iOS, its not much of a contest IMO. The reason why I chose to up/sidegrade from the M2s is the option for coax. Dunno if it makes the foggiest bit difference but I like having the option should I decide to get paranoid about it later on. Having said that, I also know that a bit's a bit's a bit. Things might be different if using sensitive IEMs but I wouldn't know about that (thanks to cauliflower ears).

With a higher HP out, LDAC and native AAC support for BT, the Shanling M0 is the BEST Bluetooth receiver (sans mic for phone calls) I have ever owned. Especially if your device has been noosed a by half eaten fruit. The clip is also incredibly handy. I use a Senn HD380 for this, but more importantly, I never use IEMs so please add salt to preferred taste.
as sound quality, who do you think is better r3-mojo or m0-mojo?

Dec 9, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #4,886 of 6,859
as sound quality, who do you think is better r3-mojo or m0-mojo?

a bit's a bit's a bit

In theory, the SQ doesn't change. Unless you want DSP in the signal to your Mojo, of course. In that case, R3 via coax is the only way with the options presented. Like others say, it comes down to the functionality. As a transport, R3 wins hands down in that regard.

I will double check later today with both players just in case. Theory is just theory, after all. Although if there were differences, there would be far more questions than answers. That's for sure.

Dec 9, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #4,887 of 6,859
In theory, the SQ doesn't change. Unless you want DSP in the signal to your Mojo, of course. In that case, R3 via coax is the only way with the options presented. Like others say, it comes down to the functionality. As a transport, R3 wins hands down in that regard.

I will double check later today with both players just in case. Theory is just theory, after all. Although if there were differences, there would be far more questions than answers. That's for sure.
In fact, in theory there should not be differences in SQ between transport but, I already noticed differences between my v 20 and l r3, the r3-mojo seems cleaner and better separation of the v20-mojo.
I read that the m0 has better SQ than r3 but I'm interested in which of the two and best mojo transport in the bit-perfect signal.
I look forward to the result of your tests between m0-mojo and r3-mojo.
But is coaxial an advantage for r3?

Dec 9, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #4,889 of 6,859
Any black R3’s for sale?
Only boxed in mint condition please.
(Brown leather slip case too if poss)

Keep an eye on advancedmp3 players as they now stock hiby in the uk. Had a box opened one for ages at £183 or something like that. None on site atm but a new one using code 10stay at check out brings it down to £197 if that's any use?

Dec 9, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #4,890 of 6,859
is the HiBy R3 enough to pair with the Ibasso IT04? or do i need to upgrade to a better dap?
Defo mate! Like anything tho. Hook your IT04’s to a Schitt Audio stack and they’ll sound better.
If you’re after an amazing priced, extremely hifi DAP, go for the new iBasso DX120!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back