The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Dec 4, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #4,846 of 6,853
MQA Studio files can go upto 24 bit 352.8 khz or more , if I am not wrong . :gs1000smile:

If I remember correctly though, there is no way to tell the MQA unfolded resolution directly from the Tidal app. Most people are only able to discern the kHz based on the numbers (or lights lit up ) on their DAC, right?

I just tested what Palash mentioned on the R3 defaulting to the non-MQA and it seems accurate if somewhat inconsistent. For example, I have the MQA version of Beggar Banquet from the Stones saved in my favorites but when I play it, the R3 does default to the FLAC version. However I found that the ECM label album "Where the River Goes" plays as MQA despite the fact that there is a non-MQA version of that title (although the artists are labeled inconsistently between the two versions - so perhaps that is the disconnect).
Really strange.

Palash, do you have any examples at your fingertips of MQA studio that don't have a non-MQA version?

Dec 4, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #4,847 of 6,853
' If I remember correctly though, there is no way to tell the MQA unfolded resolution directly from the Tidal app. Most people are only able to discern the kHz based on the numbers (or lights lit up ) on their DAC ' yes to solve this I use Audirvana Plus. It clearly shows the BITs and Sample rate, it Support MQA, Tidal Streaming and All MQA DACs.

Try these Albums
MOZART Violin Concertos
The Love Album by Adam Naas

if your R3 facing issue where it won't detect most of the MQA albums in Tidal, delete the Tidal folder in your SD card using PC, factory reset the R3 and reinsert card. Then login again in Tidal.

Dec 4, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #4,848 of 6,853
Thanks for sending. Did some further testing and found that the R3 seems to only decode the MOZART tracks as MQA however if I stream them to the R3 from mConnect, they show up as MQA Studio.
In addition, when I stream the MQA (with non-MQA duplicates) from my favorites (ie, the Beggars Banquet example I sent earlier), these show up now as MQA in the R3 (some as MQA Studio). I assume the R3 reads them as if they were stored MQA files and fully unfolds them. I was thrown off before since I was sending the signal to my Mojo and that didn't show the full unfold (based on Palash's explanation earlier).

I am not on Facebook, so just curious if Hiby has updated anything more on MQA capability.

Dec 4, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #4,849 of 6,853
Thanks for sending. Did some further testing and found that the R3 seems to only decode the MOZART tracks as MQA however if I stream them to the R3 from mConnect, they show up as MQA Studio.
In addition, when I stream the MQA (with non-MQA duplicates) from my favorites (ie, the Beggars Banquet example I sent earlier), these show up now as MQA in the R3 (some as MQA Studio). I assume the R3 reads them as if they were stored MQA files and fully unfolds them. I was thrown off before since I was sending the signal to my Mojo and that didn't show the full unfold (based on Palash's explanation earlier).

I am not on Facebook, so just curious if Hiby has updated anything more on MQA capability.

When I try to use mconnect on my R3 it will play 1 song in MQA and then say lost connection and no longer shows as available for connection.

Dec 4, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #4,850 of 6,853
When I try to use mconnect on my R3 it will play 1 song in MQA and then say lost connection and no longer shows as available for connection.

what I noticed with mConnect is it only queues up the song that you select and doesn't play anything afterwards unless you tell it to. So you need to click on the circle with 3 dots underneath and to the right of the album/playlist and select "Add to queue". Once you do that, you can go to the queue section on the bottom (second from left) and you're songs will be there to play in order.
Not exactly intuitive or ideal.

Dec 5, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #4,853 of 6,853
Is anyone noticing a lag when using the R3 as an external DAC or as a BT receiver? I'm seeing around 250 ms delay. Not a problem for music obviously but sucks when gaming or watching movies.
A fix for the Hiby R3 having lag, delay or latency in USB DAC mode i've found is changing the sampling rate.
Go to Playback devices in windows, right click - properties for the Hiby R3 --> advanced --> pick the lowest sample rate (44100 Hz for me)
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #4,854 of 6,853
A fix for the Hiby R3 having lag, delay or latency in USB DAC mode i've found is changing the sampling rate.
Go to Playback devices in windows, right click - properties for the Hiby R3 --> advanced --> pick the lowest sample rate (44100 Hz for me)
Hope this helps.

Thanks. Tried this a while ago but it didn't work. What's weird is that the lag only happens sometimes. Yesterday it happened while playing at 48kHz. I unplugged and plugged back the USB and the lag disappeared. Same thing with bluetooth SBC at 44.1kHz - was gaming the other day with serious audio lag but today I tested again and the lag is gone. I'm on fw 2.01. Weird.

Dec 5, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #4,855 of 6,853
Thanks. Tried this a while ago but it didn't work. What's weird is that the lag only happens sometimes. Yesterday it happened while playing at 48kHz. I unplugged and plugged back the USB and the lag disappeared. Same thing with bluetooth SBC at 44.1kHz - was gaming the other day with serious audio lag but today I tested again and the lag is gone. I'm on fw 2.01. Weird.
Yeah i realised after i posted. It comes and goes.. I also found just changing to another bit rate has a similar effect to replugging the USB cable and can also temporarily fix the lag. Its wierd, but at least these things take like 2 seconds to do. Still annoying though.

Dec 5, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #4,856 of 6,853
Just got my R3 today, updated firmware over the air, loaded up a 200Gb card full of music. plugged in a pair of balanced earbuds and off I went. Sounds great and didn't take long to get used to the player.

Dec 6, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #4,859 of 6,853
Is basic MicroSD music playback(FLAC, ALAC etc) and Tidal connectivity/playback working well on the R3 now?
I just want it as a digital transport into my Mojo.
(would prefer Deezer but one can wish)

Cheers
If anyone's selling one PM me

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #4,860 of 6,853
l r3 the sd card up to how many gb supports?
From their support page they say it supports up to a 2TB Micro SD card. However the largest Micro SD card size currently available is 512GB.

I have a 400GB card and it runs great. 400GB is currently the best value currently going for $100 at Amazon US site:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-400G...qid=1544115001&sr=8-3&keywords=512gb+micro+sd

The 512GB that is available is made by PNY and goes for $289.00 USD on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DGT2DL5?aaxitk=F6zQx-al47zoYsGljuyW4g&pd_rd_i=B07DGT2DL5&pf_rd_p=3ff6092e-8451-438b-8278-7e94064b4d42&hsa_cr_id=9601890880901&sb-ci-n=productDescription&sb-ci-v=PNY Elite 512GB MicroSDXC Card, Up to 90MB/S – (P-SDU512U190EL-GE)&sb-ci-a=B07DGT2DL5

That's a big premium to pay for another 100GB of space. As the market creates larger card capacities you should be able to upgrade if you require more space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back