The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Aug 23, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #4,141 of 6,857
Aug 23, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #4,143 of 6,857
I read there is a mention of better implementation of usb audio out. I wonder what exactly means.

Aug 24, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #4,144 of 6,857
Can anyone confirm the R3 can send AND receive BT in LDAC and not just send? If this is true and it get Spotify support, I'd be very interested. Of course if it take too long I may just loose interest.
It can send and receive, but not both at the same time (which would be kind of pointless no? :sweat_smile: )

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 24, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #4,145 of 6,857
It can send and receive, but not both at the same time (which would be kind of pointless no? :sweat_smile: )

Correct, both at the same time would be pretty pointless!:yum:

I have another small DAP that can send AptX but not receive. It advertises AptX support and being bidirectional. But did not clarify that is can't do AptX in receive mode. So streaming Spotify from my phone while at the gym was noticeably worse than using my $15 Mpow BT receiver. This is why I wanted clarification.

Aug 24, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #4,146 of 6,857

On another note Joe, can you please clarify why the volume control on the R3 remains active when using a USB-C to Micro USB cable to connect a DAC/AMP (such as the FiiO Q1MKII)? Is this something that the R3 is supposed to do? It would seem that the signal should be sent unaltered to the DAC/AMP and then the volume control on the DAC/AMP takes the sole control of the volume level? Any clarification would be much appreciated. For example using the Q1 with an iPhone via Micro USB to Lightning passes the volume to the Q1 and the sounds just seems much cleaner to me (in my opinion).

Aug 24, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #4,147 of 6,857
There's now a quick toggle from the top pull down menu for the sleep timer in firmware 1.12.
Thanks, totally missed that! :darthsmile:

Aug 24, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #4,148 of 6,857
Thanks, totally missed that! :darthsmile:
No problem! I can see myself using that function a lot more now too, as I also listen when I'm in bed and wake up tangled haha.

Streaming Spotify to my R3 from my Pixel 2XL has been flawless so far - very happy to have it now. I will give it a good workout tomorrow at work as well with my Sony WH1000XM2.

Aug 24, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #4,149 of 6,857
On another note Joe, can you please clarify why the volume control on the R3 remains active when using a USB-C to Micro USB cable to connect a DAC/AMP (such as the FiiO Q1MKII)? Is this something that the R3 is supposed to do? It would seem that the signal should be sent unaltered to the DAC/AMP and then the volume control on the DAC/AMP takes the sole control of the volume level? Any clarification would be much appreciated. For example using the Q1 with an iPhone via Micro USB to Lightning passes the volume to the Q1 and the sounds just seems much cleaner to me (in my opinion).

It's just a difference in philosophy--you might note that the equalizer and MSEB work with USB output as well, which is handy if you want to use them with your USB DAC. If not, you can always turn them off and set the volume to 100%. Perhaps it would be good to offer a popup allowing quick configuration of these options the moment a USB audio connection is detected?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 24, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #4,150 of 6,857
It's just a difference in philosophy--you might note that the equalizer and MSEB work with USB output as well, which is handy if you want to use them with your USB DAC. If not, you can always turn them off and set the volume to 100%. Perhaps it would be good to offer a popup allowing quick configuration of these options the moment a USB audio connection is detected?

That sounds like one option, but I would prefer setting this in tje device settings.
I personally really want to have a direct digital out with as little processing as possible.

This is also the reason why I prefer using the Shanling L2 USB-C to micro. The signal is not affected by the R3's volume settings and the SQ I am getting connected to Mojo is higher than with the HiBy coax cable.
It's more open and transparent, with the coax cable I feel like some of the R3's sound signature comes through and I am wondering if there's some digital signal processing applied to the coax out, even with EQ and MSEB off.

That also reminds me of the idea to have a "neutral" sound signature setting in the R3, since the default sound appears quite heavily processed and I so far did not find any way to tune it more neutral with the MSEB.

So whatever "direct" out options you can get implemented will be welcome!

Cheers!

Aug 24, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #4,152 of 6,857
Is the Tidal issue sorted out? Are there still wifi and playback problems?
Nope. :confused:
Sometimes I get errors when I try to open certain albums via Tidal.
IyZ4yYB.jpg

Aug 24, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #4,153 of 6,857
No problem! I can see myself using that function a lot more now too, as I also listen when I'm in bed and wake up tangled haha.

Streaming Spotify to my R3 from my Pixel 2XL has been flawless so far - very happy to have it now. I will give it a good workout tomorrow at work as well with my Sony WH1000XM2.
I stream Spotify to R3 from iPhone 7 and also works flawlessly

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #4,154 of 6,857

I think having the option for both would be great. After your explanation, that makes sense that the EQ & MSEB remain active when using the USB output; however to have the option to pass the signal to the DAC/AMP unaltered (bit perfect) would be great if that’s something that can be done!

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #4,155 of 6,857
This is also the reason why I prefer using the Shanling L2 USB-C to micro. The signal is not affected by the R3's volume settings and the SQ I am getting connected to Mojo is higher than with the HiBy coax cable.

Do you know what the technical difference is between the FiiO cable and the Shanling cable that makes one remain affected by the R3 volume control and the other to take sole control of the volume or is it simply a difference between the way the Mojo and the Q1 operate? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back