The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Aug 19, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #4,036 of 6,857
I reckon you should get that balanced cable. BTW which iem have you shortlisted?

My objective is to get with lower price a close SQ to my Etymotics ER4PT SE - I have been using, when travelling, Ety with R3 and with good FLAC files I am happy; at home I pair R3 with Mojo and Ether Flow Open.

I want a balanced IEMs in the range $100-200,.and by now shortlist is
LZ A4
FiiO F9 Pro
IBasso IT01
Pinnacle P1
Brainwavz B400
Campfire Audio Comet
Some of them out of price range

Your comments here are very welcome and if there are options fitting this approach good to get them.

Thanks

Aug 19, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #4,038 of 6,857
I am interested in the R3 for mobile use primarily with IEM's. All plugged into 3.5mm out. I currently have a Rockbox'd XDUOO X3 and I am hoping that someone has both and can compare it with the R3. Is it comparable sound wise? Would it be an upgrade sound wise or even a side grade? I generally use TRN V80 but I also have a Dunu dn-1000. I also have a Hifiman Re272 that I would like to try in balanced mode. I use a Sennheiser HD579 (32 ohm) at home. Thanks in advance for any info!

Aug 19, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #4,039 of 6,857
Welcome back Fridge.
Have you been on a craft beer sabbatical:beer:

Well you have not missed much on the R3 updates.

Hiby is in hiding.
Probably implementing all our wishes/changes :wink:

Hey V Man,

Yes actually I have, odd that you would know that :wink: :beers::left_facing_fist: been trying a number of new local brews @ outside decks before the smoke descended.
How have you been? Hope all is well with you.

As you’ve said been curious & disappointed about the Hiby/R3’s latest & continuing MIA/silence about all the questions requests & issues!
Although there is a FW Update coming soon, I find it v odd Hiby has chosen to spen the time, manpower & $ to open an online store front for their 2 DAP’s & Not Address the issues @ hand/us the users base wanting & needing fw updates & addressing the issues & list fixes like you started but have gone unaddressed!
Trying to enjoy my R3 but as many have stated I’ve have issues with the loose or improper fit of my 2.5 se connection & I have v exp cables with Rhodium finished Oyaide connectors so not cheap & not the issue, so pretty bummed about that!
Well actually trying to enjoy the summer but nfortunately all that/this:sunny:& unusual extreme:fire:heat for here has brought on another pending historical:evergreen_tree::fire:season that might rage thru into Dec as did last tears which was the worst on record!
Very tragic & sad for all concerned living here & areas affected!

Anyhow praying :pray: for week or two of heavy :sweat_drops::sweat_drops::sweat_drops: !

Although there is a FW Update coming soon, I find it v odd Hiby has chosen to spen the time, manpower & $ to open an online store front for their 2 DAP’s & Not Address the issues @ hand/us the users base wanting & needing fw updates & addressing the issues & list fixes like you started but have gone unaddressed!
Trying to enjoy my R3 but as many have stated I’ve have issues with the loose or improper fit of my 2.5 se connection & I have v exp cables with Rhodium finished Oyaide connectors so not cheap & not the issue, so pretty bummed about that!

Cheers...

Aug 19, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #4,040 of 6,857
Aug 19, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #4,041 of 6,857
Hey V Man,

Yes actually I have, odd that you would know that :wink: :beers::left_facing_fist: been trying a number of new local brews @ outside decks before the smoke descended.
How have you been? Hope all is well with you.

As you’ve said been curious & disappointed about the Hiby/R3’s latest & continuing MIA/silence about all the questions requests & issues!
Although there is a FW Update coming soon, I find it v odd Hiby has chosen to spend the time, manpower & $ to open an online store front for their 2 DAP’s & Not Address the issues @ hand/us the users base wanting & needing fw updates & addressing the issues & list fixes like you started but have gone unaddressed!
Well actually trying to enjoy the summer but nfortunately all that/this:sunny:& unusual extreme:fire:heat for here has brought on another pending historical:evergreen_tree::fire:season that might rage thru into Dec as did last tears which was the worst on record!
Very tragic & sad for all concerned living here & areas affected!

Anyhow praying :pray: for week or two of heavy :sweat_drops::sweat_drops::sweat_drops: !

Cheers...

I've not been using the 2.5mm balanced connector on the R3.
But I guess being smaller does have the tendency to fcuk up.

Looks like Hiby have spread themselves out a bit as Hidizs have brought out a new DAP "AP 80" which is similiar to the R3 using Hiby's GUI.
I guess they have spent their time doing that and implementing the LDAC addition on the R3.
Not sure if it's worth the look at the AP 80 as its not really got much else in it to tempt.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ap80-hidizs-next-portable-hi-res-music-player-coming-soon.878141/

I wish companies woul dlisten a bit more on the small niggles in the GUI before they add other things.

Anyway I'm waiting for Shanling's next DAP as I'm pretty chuffed with the M0.
Hopefully they chose to go the direction I want but I have a sneeky feeling they are going the Android direction.

I do use the R3 but a bit peeved that they just don't have the customer service .
Shanling have certainly got the right person on this forum answering every question.

Weather here in the old Blighty has been been hot too but we are now back to the odd shower which has been nice.

Could do with some more sun now :)

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #4,042 of 6,857
I've not been using the 2.5mm balanced connector on the R3.
But I guess being smaller does have the tendency to fcuk up.

Looks like Hiby have spread themselves out a bit as Hidizs have brought out a new DAP "AP 80" which is similiar to the R3 using Hiby's GUI.
I guess they have spent their time doing that and implementing the LDAC addition.
Not sure if it's worth the look at the AP 80 as its not really got much else in it to tempt.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ap80-hidizs-next-portable-hi-res-music-player-coming-soon.878141/

I wish companies woul dlisten a bit more on the small niggles in the GUI before they add other things.

Anyway I'm waiting for Shanling's next DAP as I'm pretty chuffed with the M0.
Hopefully they chose to go the direction I want but I have a sneeky feeling they are going the Android direction.

I do use the R3 but a bit peeved that they just don't have the customer service .
Shanling have certainly got the right person on this forum answering every question.

Weather here in the old Blighty has been been hot too but we are now back to the odd shower which has been nice.

Could do with some more sun now :)

Yes I agree, it’s pretty obvious @ this pointvthere are many things they should’ve addressed before hand all things considered after R6 success but in any event not sure I’ll be buying another anytime soon will just have to wait for incremental fw updates over the next god knows how long to address the growing wish list & necessary updates to improve it!

Sorrry I meant the 3.5mm se connector.
A number of people have mentioned a fit shorting issue over past few weeks.
I had that from the get go & thought it was my expensive Oyaide connector but obviously it’s not so that pisses me as they’ve obviously used a sub par 3.5 mm connection & I’ll be damned if I’m going to pay for it to travel around the world again to have it replaced!
Will deal with it soon!

Well good to hear you’re not suffering the weather like we are hear, honestly can’t wait till fall!

Aug 19, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #4,043 of 6,857
Speaking of updates...anyone else thinking that on the System Settings menu maybe Restore Factory Settings shouldn't be right next to Firmware Update? I know they probably both have other key presses before the action takes place, but always makes me hesitate...

Aug 19, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #4,044 of 6,857
When pairing the R3 with a FiiO Q1MK2 does anyone know why the volume is still active on the R3?

When pairing with an iPhone the volume control is passed entirely to the FiiO and the sound is much nicer (in my opinion).

I’m using the FiiO CL06 cable for the R3 and the standard lightning to micro USB cable for the iPhone.

The USB mode setting on the R3 (audio/dock/storage) seems to have no effect and even when setting the volume to 100 it still doesn’t sound as good to me.

Aug 20, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #4,045 of 6,857
Emailed Hiby service yesterday and got this reply 7 hours later.

Questions:
I was wondering if the Hiby R3 sold in Hiby.com store is the international version that works with Tidal?
Does it also support Spotify?

Is there a new firmware version coming soon?

Answer:
Now the latest firmware no longer distinguishes the international version and chinese version, It became a kind of version and all functions also became the same.

Sorry for that we cann't completely cater to your needs. we don't support Spotify untill now but we have plan to add it in the future. Thank you for your support on HiBy Music.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #4,047 of 6,857
My objective is to get with lower price a close SQ to my Etymotics ER4PT SE - I have been using, when travelling, Ety with R3 and with good FLAC files I am happy; at home I pair R3 with Mojo and Ether Flow Open.

I want a balanced IEMs in the range $100-200,.and by now shortlist is
LZ A4
FiiO F9 Pro
IBasso IT01
Pinnacle P1
Brainwavz B400
Campfire Audio Comet
Some of them out of price range

Your comments here are very welcome and if there are options fitting this approach good to get them.

Thanks

+1 for the Comet's - I have them paired with a FiiO MMCX Balanced Cable and they are really nice with the R3 in my opinion.

Aug 20, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #4,048 of 6,857
Emailed Hiby service yesterday and got this reply 7 hours later.

Questions:
I was wondering if the Hiby R3 sold in Hiby.com store is the international version that works with Tidal?
Does it also support Spotify?

Is there a new firmware version coming soon?

Answer:
Now the latest firmware no longer distinguishes the international version and chinese version, It became a kind of version and all functions also became the same.

Sorry for that we cann't completely cater to your needs. we don't support Spotify untill now but we have plan to add it in the future. Thank you for your support on HiBy Music.

So snag that 1.12 and get your LDAC everyone :)

NO IDEA why that could not have been shared in here days ago?

hmmm... then it is a little strange that it did not appear when checking for firmware updates via OTA couple days ago when it was linked here several posts ago...

BTW, can anyone recommend a decent 2.5mm balanced cable for the R3? Main IEM are the CA Comets. Not looking to spend more than the cost of the IEM or R3 itself. Thanks!

Aug 20, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #4,049 of 6,857
Alrighty, installed 1.12. LDAC works with my Galaxy S7 Edge.

Nice feature but I miss the MSEB function during LDAC BT use (Seems disabled/works as designed). Sound is too cold for me. No bass and I am not even a basshead, I think.

Surprisingly the Chinese FW 1.12 has TIDAL on it? Seems Hiby has merged functionality of the Chinese and International version.

Let me know how you guys find LDAC.

Aug 20, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #4,050 of 6,857
Alrighty, installed 1.12. LDAC works with my Galaxy S7 Edge.

Nice feature but I miss the MSEB function during LDAC BT use (Seems disabled/works as designed). Sound is too cold for me. No bass and I am not even a basshead, I think.

Surprisingly the Chinese FW 1.12 has TIDAL on it? Seems Hiby has merged functionality of the Chinese and International version.

Let me know how you guys find LDAC.

msed seems to work here on ldac, yes finally got to play with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back