1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The HiBy R3; The New Double Dac R3 PRO expected late October.

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by CactusPete23, Feb 14, 2018.
First

Back
192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201
203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212
Next

Last
  1. abitdeef
    Well I had the dx90 and heard the dx80 for a bit. I can say the R3 holds its own. As I said before I like the sound of the newer ESS chips, slightly warm but still plenty of detail and good layering. Sound stage is a touch smaller but I really like the overall tone of the R3. I don’t like pure neutral or analytical. I like a more musical presentation.

And I think R3 does a great balance between the two it’s detailed but not too sterile sounding. Only slight niggle would be lack of power compared to the ibassos.

2. pranavtripathi
    Thank you so much for the information! A couple of follow up questions then!
    How does the R3 compare in terms of resolution, vocals, cymbal decays and detailing across the frequency spectrum?
    How does the instrument separation seem to you? And is the background as clean and transparent as the iBasso?

3. abitdeef
    Hmm oh sorry I switched to my newer account. Resolution is right up there, cymbal decays are getting better with burn in - not as good out of the box. Vocals are to me not to close or not to far away. I think the detailing across the spectrum is very good.

Instrument separation is also good and has improved since out of the box. The soundstage has opened up a bit and the layering/separation has improved because of the wider stage. Maybe not quite as spacious as dx90. Background is very black. Does it sound as good as a loopaw gold, or an ak or Sony flagship , well no.

But it sounds engaging and punches above the price easily.

Keep in mind I don’t have WiFi enabled.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  4. pranavtripathi
    Thanks! Does enabling WiFi affect the sound quality?

5. Joe Bloggs Contributor
    pm

6. poprivet
    Asked twice so far, but still no response, guess lost amongst the "I've got a shipping notice, & it hasn't changed for days" posts...is gapless working for people?

pranavtripathi likes this.
  7. Jayden16
    Somewhat. It's not completely gapless though, and it's more noticable on live albums etc. Hopefully they can minimise it further with FW updates.

ipplite likes this.
  8. matique
    [​IMG]

Lovely combo. Warm, full and musical with a touch of shimmer in the treble. 8-Ball is pretty fun to play with too.

crezo and 1TrickPony like this.
  9. capnjack
    What? This thread suddenly got very busy this morning!
    This morning, I did my usual check to see if my r3 had moved, hahaha! Still the same, nothing doin, so at 6am I emailed DHL HK........ fast forward to 10:50 and I get a reply stating that it was picked up today and will be delivered on Tuesday! :wink: With a new tracking #

Edit - also just got an email from DHL UK stating it hadn’t been picked up yet!

10. goody
    i dont know maybe i got carried away the quest for audio nirvana never ends....the Hiby R3 is not a bad sounding player at all the only thing i didnt like was the treble it sounded a bit splashy to my ears it didnt come alive enough for me .... and the eq setting just muddied the sound.

Based purely on sound only, forget the features and that gorgeous screen it has.... my Cowon plenue D sounded better to my ears and the Sony A45 both had better treble and bass slam and soundstage this is just my opinion !!

11. capnjack
    Did you play about with mseb to see how that sounded?

12. goody
    Yes i did i like mseb actually it changes the sound gradually not enough to make me happy ...but this is to my ears the features and gorgeous screen make the R3 stand out but the sound is average to me

capnjack likes this.
  13. capnjack
    I thought that mseb was similar to cowon's eq type thing(name escapes me now) but it is a subtle approach to eq'ing

14. surfgeorge
    3205CA94-1119-4AB6-ABD6-5E23D3C34467.jpeg
    Look what just arrived: :)
    Nice little player, and SQ is pretty nice too. And it pairs perfectly with Mojo for that magic Mojo SQ. The cable is just perfect!
    And one thing is VERY interesting!
    The HiBy 3,5mm cable sounds distinctly different to the Shanling usb cable :-o
    The 3,5 coax needs a much higher volume setting (blue vs red) on the Mojo for the same volume, and the sound balance is quite different. More (defined?) bass and treble, and generally better separation??

Passenger11 and capnjack like this.
  15. capnjack
    What case is that on your mojo? link if possible please? :)

First

Back
192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201
203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212
Next

Last