The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Apr 21, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #1,096 of 6,857
Long time not talk bud. Sorry for being under a rock in the last few days :cold_sweat: I'm not in Japan yet but have been preparing for it.

The arm band scenario can be created by something like this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...Gymnasium-Activities/2972036_32835536147.html

Which is why we are giving away at least two hard cases for the R3, because that quick release plate can be mounted on one case for use with such a device while the other case can be left plain for when that QR plate would get in the way and you still want to protect the device. Unfortunately we haven't yet found an armband combo that we can afford to give away, stretch or no stretch, while it seems disingenious to have a stretch goal that only opens up an item for *purchase*...

Best regards,
Joe

What did they use in the promo video? I don't care if it's included or not, but it would be nice to know where to buy it. Clearly a thing exists, unless it was built just for the video shoot. Obviously folks knew that armband-mounting was desirable, as it's shown twice in two minutes. :)

Apr 21, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #1,097 of 6,857
What did they use in the promo video? I don't care if it's included or not, but it would be nice to know where to buy it. Clearly a thing exists, unless it was built just for the video shoot. Obviously folks knew that armband-mounting was desirable, as it's shown twice in two minutes. :)

It was pretty much the kind of thing I showed in the post you quoted (e.g. that one clips onto any old armband), only difference being that we didn't have a case that securely fastened onto the R3 properly, so... the R3 actually flew out of the prototype case and crashed onto the pavement out of camera :joy: So we were actually a bit embarrassed to include that use case in the video. To make up for it, we kept looking for more better case sources, which is another reason why we now ship it with not one but two cases. Our boss went and retested the "try shaking your arm off with the R3 on an armband" use case and it stayed securely attached using our new cases. :)

edit: Here's another one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BP3PL4...WT&pd_rd_r=20XE8MD4SZ3PZBKXN0XV&pd_rd_w=lzOX2

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 21, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #1,099 of 6,857
That LDAC codec is one that I would love to see on more devices, such as the R3. Might have to play the waiting game on the R3 to see if there's ever any interest to implement that.
They know there's interest from a lot of people to implement it. It was an advertised feature until Sony requested they take it out of the advertisements until it's officially certified for the R3. I really hope they get it implemented - it was one of the main features that made me buy it

Apr 21, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #1,100 of 6,857
It was pretty much the kind of thing I showed in the post you quoted (e.g. that one clips onto any old armband), only difference being that we didn't have a case that securely fastened onto the R3 properly, so... the R3 actually flew out of the prototype case and crashed onto the pavement out of camera :joy: So we were actually a bit embarrassed to include that use case in the video. To make up for it, we kept looking for more better case sources, which is another reason why we now ship it with not one but two cases. Our boss went and retested the "try shaking your arm off with the R3 on an armband" use case and it stayed securely attached using our new cases. :)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BP3PL4...WT&pd_rd_r=20XE8MD4SZ3PZBKXN0XV&pd_rd_w=lzOX2

Joe, do you guys plan on offering a clear silicone case? I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Apr 21, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #1,101 of 6,857
Yeah. Damn. Sony makes some awesome stuff. Expensive, but awesome stuff. That LDAC codec is one that I would love to see on more devices, such as the R3. Might have to play the waiting game on the R3 to see if there's ever any interest to implement that. While I use AptX on my Q5, there's a limitation on what it can do. I never feel like I'm getting all of the layers of a song, so I hope there's a plan for the future on the R3.

I tried LDAC for the first time the other day on sony zx300, and it sounded amazing! I wonder if that takes a special chip, or if it uses regular BT with software enhancements? If it does take a chip, then it's already installed on R3, no?

Apr 21, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #1,102 of 6,857

@Joe Bloggs - are you saying the exact same one from Amazon was tested ("try shaking your arm off with the R3 on an armband")?
I would hate to damage a $200 DAP by using a crappy $12.99 arm band... no reviews for this one on Amazon, yet...

Apr 21, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #1,104 of 6,857
I know it was stated that this will have the Tidal app on it and that you can stream but can you download offline to the mSD card?
Not yet if i have read things correctly.

Apr 21, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #1,106 of 6,857
I actually just found a site/review that says you can, I was just getting ready to edit my post.
That is great news and i stand corrected. I was under the impression that a FW update was coming to enable that. Thanks for the clarification.

Apr 21, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #1,110 of 6,857
Please don't take my word as gold as its from a site called gear patrol that did a review on it. Seems legit however .

Yeah I was not to sure about that one but since than I have read it on Forbes and a couple more which states the same, so we can hope.

Gear Patrol and Forbes quoted from initial press releases and demo units they tried. That is precisely why so many of the comments on the Kickstarter page are asking for updates. As of now only online Tidal streaming is confirmed, the rest are still work in progress when I last checked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back