The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Apr 9, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #828 of 6,853
I'm coming to Poland in mid May, I'm on the same boat as the guy from Portugal just I'm not native here, so don't know what works and what doesn't.

And yes, FedEx gets lost in customs doing circles for days.

Apr 9, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #830 of 6,853

NICE! For those who haven't watched, I'll summarise:
  • He's focusing on videos cos text is troublesome and there are too many people to reply to (like myself haha)
  • New R3 with firmware is much better and clearer sound than previous R3 without MSEB
  • New R3 is no longer a less detailed, warmer version of X5III
  • New R3 now sounds comparable to X7II, balanced sounding just a bit less stage (width maybe)
  • R6 is slightly bassier than R3 and better spatial cues
  • R3 is great for the price with a balanced sound and not far off it's big brother
  • Campfire Comets pair awesomely with R3 balanced out
  • Software of R3 not perfect but should get better with updates. Can't wait for LDAC. R6 cannot change colour theme but R3 can for now.
I'm stoked @Hawaiibadboy, you are making me buy 2 DAPs to compare since both have such promising sound at the similar price - DP-S1 and R3.

Now I have to delay IEM upgrades :/ haha!

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #831 of 6,853

Thanks dude, backed! My first kickstarter backing. Got the 189 dollar plain jane package. I hope cases will be available separately, I'd like to get a nice silicone case for this baby since I will be using it in the car. I guess I should have ordered the one with the case, oh well... Btw there was only 4 available when I ordered mine.

I'm also probably getting the shanling too, just because it's sansa clip size, and my RB'd clip+ is starting to lose it's battery life. Hell I think it's at least 6 years old, not bad for a 30 dollar dap.(black Friday sale).

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #832 of 6,853
Thanks dude, backed! My first kickstarter backing. Got the 189 dollar plain jane package. I hope cases will be available separately, I'd like to get a nice silicone case for this baby since I will be using it in the car. I guess I should have ordered the one with the case, oh well... Btw there was only 4 available when I ordered mine.

i believe you can still change you pledge tier

Apr 9, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #833 of 6,853
  • New R3 with firmware is much better and clearer sound than previous R3 without MSEB
  • New R3 is no longer a less detailed, warmer version of X5III
  • New R3 now sounds comparable to X7II, balanced sounding just a bit less stage (width maybe)
  • R3 is great for the price with a balanced sound and not far off it's big brother
  • Software of R3 not perfect but should get better with updates. Can't wait for LDAC. R6 cannot change colour theme but R3 can for now.
I'm stoked @Hawaiibadboy, you are making me buy 2 DAPs to compare since both have such promising sound at the similar price - DP-S1 and R3.

!

Damn it sounds good. I'm also hesitating between the R3 and DP-S1, mostly for the Spotify implementation...

Apr 9, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #834 of 6,853
So many mentions on Spotify.. Spotify gives lossless streaming or what?

Apr 9, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #835 of 6,853
Damn it sounds good. I'm also hesitating between the R3 and DP-S1, mostly for the Spotify implementation...
I know right! Shoot me a PM if you don't see me post impressions after the R3 ships :wink:
I may not be able to get R3 in time to do a side by side comparison, so I will compare DP-S1 with my LG V20, then R3 with the V20. Hopefully I'll take enough notes to point you in the right direction.

I think Spotify isn't guaranteed yet, but will still outdo the DP-S1 as you can use your phone to run a bluetooth/USB DAC iirc.

Tsk if @Hawaiibadboy found no improvement in the R3 my decision would be much simpler :L3000: I hope it is not biased because of the new Comets LOL

@turkayguner It's not so much of lossless, but that you can run Spotify free/whatever through the better DAC/Amp of the R3. It isn't magic but Spotify on my LG V20 is always a nice thing to have.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #836 of 6,853

Nope but the extreme quality to me sounds good enough. And I want a portable dedicated device. Way more convenient to use Spotify playlists than adding the 5000+ songs stored in my library.

Thanks @gemmoglock ! :)

Apr 9, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #837 of 6,853
Nope but the extreme quality to me sounds good enough. And I want a portable dedicated device. Way more convenient to use Spotify playlists than adding the 5000+ songs stored in my library.

Sorry for the change, I think I'll pass up this chance to do a comparo :/ PMed you!

Apr 9, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #838 of 6,853

There are even smaller devices that can do Spotify (even offline). I would prefer them if I was just fine with only Spotify.

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #839 of 6,853
i believe you can still change you pledge tier

Yep I see that but I don't know what the leather case looks like. I pray there will be a nice clear silicone case available soon. I usually go with leather, but with this looker I think clear silicone would look sweet imo. The included case, well sorry it will go in the bin :0

And on another note and to not post again, has anybody seen the black colour in the flesh? I usually go with black, but the grey that everybody ( all 3 of them :) has looks pretty good. They grey reminds me of the fiio x3ii titanium colour which was very nice.
decisions.... I could just flip a coin I guess.

Oh and just wanted to also ask is the back glass or plastic?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #840 of 6,853
Yep I see that but I don't know what the leather case looks like. I pray there will be a nice clear silicone case available soon. I usually go with leather, but with this looker I think clear silicone would look sweet imo. The included case, well sorry it will go in the bin :0

And on another note and to not post again, has anybody seen the black colour in the flesh? I usually go with black, but the grey that everybody ( all 3 of them :) has looks pretty good. They grey reminds me of the fiio x3ii titanium colour which was very nice.
decisions.... I could just flip a coin I guess.

Oh and just wanted to also ask is the back glass or plastic?

I also wanted a silicone case, but then I realised that the shape with the 2,5D glass screen with almost no bezel will require a stiff plastic case to stay put and still give full access to the touch screen.
Still - with the sweet looking grey R3 I wish for a transparent, matte case rather than the white one. Got the leather case package - just in case. And will 3D print anything I else I need :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back