The Hi-Fi + Hi-Res Audiophiles' Bluetooth Headphone Adapter Thread - [17.Oct.21] iFi GO Blu impression added
Jan 26, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #421 of 1,312
Got the truly wireless Bluetooth modules, FiiO uTWS1 mmcx version to use with my Shuoer Tapes (104db sensitivity) .

These have a lower gain than my Trn B20s. I have to use them at full volume or 1 click from full volume.

I imagine these are setup like the older B20 model. Making them good more suitable for very sensitive iems. They probably will not hiss.

Too bad I don't own extreme sensitive iems.

Probably not the right discussion for this particular thread since it doesn't support 24bit. I did start another thread for this: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-tws-neckband-bt-cable-adapter-thread.920709/

Jan 26, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #422 of 1,312
Ok, so I got my BTR5 this week, today I opened it. First impressions are good, I was expecting a lack of power in the single ended output based on my previous experience with the Q5s. This little fella has some oomph, it can drive my HD600 to decent levels with volume set at 35/60 on high gain, excelent! My Sony MW1 could also drive the HD600 but the volume was always close to the max (14/16 or so). The MW1 is ever so smaller, but feels kinda cheap next to the glass and aluminum of the BTR5. SQ both sound the same to me (very good). The Sony was very old (Bluetooth 3.0, SBC only, I think) but did the job. Actually the Sony has more buttons (next, play, previous, menu back, and volume rockers) and the screen is bigger with more characters, plus it had a micro sd card slot so it could be used as an stand alone player and had FM radio!!!

Any way, I am pretty satisfied with the Fiio, definitely has more power than expected and it can be used as USB DAC, which the Sony could not do it. Will report back if anything happens, but I am confident that it's going to performs as expected.
Fiio vs Sony.jpg

Jan 28, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #423 of 1,312
Another question to HiBy W3 users, who own it for quite a long time.
Do you have any comments on the construction of the device. I found the opinion of a user from Russia who complained about the poor attachment of the headphone jack socket to the circuit board. In his case, the socket detached from the board in a way that prevents re-soldering.
Maybe it's isolated case...but I want to ask you all :)

Jan 28, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #424 of 1,312
Do you have any comments on the construction of the device. I found the opinion of a user from Russia who complained about the poor attachment of the headphone jack socket to the circuit board. In his case, the socket detached from the board in a way that prevents re-soldering.

Can't say I detected any problem with mine so far.

Jan 28, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #426 of 1,312
Did you use it as a USB DAC ? I read it works only 44,1 kHz / 16 bit ?

Tried it a few time, but mostly just for testing purpose.

Only BTR5 can go up to 24 bits because it has an extra XMOS controller. All other BT adapters that rely sorely on CSR8675's internal USB controller function is limited to 16 bits due to the limitation of the chip itself.

Jan 28, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #427 of 1,312

Mine too have been very smooth so far. No issues encountered and they're very reliable as well.

Jan 28, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #428 of 1,312

Hello, I have not had any problems with the quality of the socket, but I did have a faulty battery in the first i got. Could not get it to work, and charging it only resultated in a really hot blinking device.
Other then a potentially dangerous battery situation, the function (sound) of the device is really good.

Jan 29, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #429 of 1,312
some update thought regarding 1795

the device shuntdown at least 6 times during playback for no reason, seems every time when it occurs the device is quite hot. Also the device would reconnect to the phone serval times during the playback. It dose not stop the music but you can hear the machine’s hard coded melody when the device is connected to something. It also took 4 hours to get fully charged, same as the time it can function with out power off.

Usb dac mode is unstable (dropout) because the usb interface is inferior than any dedicated usb dac. Some people consider ifi xdsd,but i would not recommend this product as well. It have a very mediocre dac, although the amp is independent and somewhat decent.

Sound quality wise it dose not handle symphony well , very chaotic + distortion, i blame the outdated dac for that.

Final verdict avoid this product for you own good. Get m11pro or something like that if you planning spending more that 200$ on something that makes sound. Or get es100 and just be happy about the quality of sound that you can have for such little money.

Jan 29, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #430 of 1,312
Even an outdated DAC chip should still going to have measurable performance that is well below human hearing threshold. If you can really hear distortion, I suspect it is not from the DAC chip itself but a much larger problem.

Jan 29, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #431 of 1,312
Even an outdated DAC chip should still going to have measurable performance that is well below human hearing threshold. If you can really hear distortion, I suspect it is not from the DAC chip itself but a much larger problem.
sorry i should be more clear, 1795 have an outdated dac and only one of it. Therefore I suspect it is the reason result in poor performance with symphonic music with larger dynamics and complicated signals. The distortion is easy to understand, the amp built in the 1795 it just don’t have sufficient power to drive my iem.

Jan 29, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #432 of 1,312
I back this 100%. RARELY is a DAC going to cause an audible issue unless the filter coefficients are really screwed up (which only happens if the manufacturer loads their own coefficients and is very bad and designing them). If there is distortion issues, it's not the DAC - it's the amp, not the DAC. Lots of amps are pretty poor in terms of their ability to drive complex loads. Especially those built-in to DACs. They tend to use localized charge pumps with low current capacity, and can even lead to power supply pumping on the entire device.

If you have an external DAC you use, make sure it has a quality amplifier built in, if at all possible.

Jan 31, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #433 of 1,312
I am currently using my Hidizs AP80 as bluetooth adapter over LDAC. Does anyone here have a first hand experience of the BTR5 sound quality (in single ended) vs the AP80? Perhaps someone who has both could post a brief impression.

Jan 31, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #434 of 1,312
Silly comment. But this indiegogo campaign is technically a Bluetooth transceiver + amp (115mw @16 Ohms). Has Aptx-LL

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...paign=bck-01312020friday&gs_variant=control#/

STRAP EDGE

Transducers

• Transducer frequency response: 1-200Hz
Audio

• Texas Instruments built-in analog headphones amplifier
  • 105mW output into 16ohm headphones
  • 3.5mm stereo headphones out
  • Support TRRS (mic) headphones connector
  • 0.1% THD+N headphone output
Connectivity

• CSR APTX Low-latency Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity
  • 3.5mm stereo line-in, supporting TRRS input (mic)
  • USB-C audio-in
  • BLE for future firmware updates
Power

• Charging time: approximately 3 hours
  • USB-C charging port
  • Up to 8 hours playtime, depending on usage and volume/sensation level.
  • Auto power off
Control

• Built-in independent headphones & sensation volume control
  • 2x LED indicators

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #435 of 1,312
Silly comment. But this indiegogo campaign is technically a Bluetooth transceiver + amp (115mw @16 Ohms). Has Aptx-LL

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...paign=bck-01312020friday&gs_variant=control#/

STRAP EDGE

Transducers

• Transducer frequency response: 1-200Hz
Audio

• Texas Instruments built-in analog headphones amplifier
  • 105mW output into 16ohm headphones
  • 3.5mm stereo headphones out
  • Support TRRS (mic) headphones connector
  • 0.1% THD+N headphone output
Connectivity

• CSR APTX Low-latency Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity
  • 3.5mm stereo line-in, supporting TRRS input (mic)
  • USB-C audio-in
  • BLE for future firmware updates
Power

• Charging time: approximately 3 hours
  • USB-C charging port
  • Up to 8 hours playtime, depending on usage and volume/sensation level.
  • Auto power off
Control

• Built-in independent headphones & sensation volume control
  • 2x LED indicators
Oh my. Thanks for pointing it out, that was priceless. aptX LL is not an HD codec, so technically out of the scope of this thread, but with a thing like that who’s keeping score? The marketing speak is either smartly disingenuous or downright dumb, I love how they start from the assumption that all headphones are basically the same - silly old things you put on your head, as opposed to this new device that just shocks you with music.

The so-called haptic feedback on the Nuraphone was so tacky, just vibration supposed to imitate the feeling of a live performance? Whatever. The fact they ditched that wholesale is one of the reasons I chipped in to get the Nuraloop. Less really is more sometimes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back