The Hi-Fi + Hi-Res Audiophiles' Bluetooth Headphone Adapter Thread - [17.Oct.21] iFi GO Blu impression added
May 22, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #526 of 1,312
Instead of a music app’s EQ, there is also the option of Wavelet...

https://www.xda-developers.com/make-your-headphones-sound-better-automatic-eq-wavelet/amp/

edit: but I think the music apps it supports are limited, at least based on my experience. Seems to work on Google Music and Youtube, but not on Tidal or Audible...

Really cool. Just installed and playing around using my ES100 and BTR3k.

Do I need to open the Wavelet app every time I listen to music on my phone, or will it automatically 'apply' when I start my phone?

May 22, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #527 of 1,312
That’s an interesting app, probably the best of those that seek to pull every headphone towards a neutral curve. I’m not really keen on that in principle, as I like gear with personality or color. Hey dev, you want to bring my bass down and mess with my lower treble peak? GTFO!

I have no idea how good the EQ is then within Wavelet, it‘s presented as a bit of a reluctant afterthought to cater to us peasants who enjoy their weird FR curves. It may indeed be better to use a dedicated system-wide equalizer on the emitter side if the aim is to use LDAC.
My ideal would be support on the FiiO, with sufficient customizable presets to let me maintain custom presets for many different IEMs. Like the es100, but more storage for additional IEMs.

May 23, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #528 of 1,312
Need Help
I am in market for a Bluetooth headphone amp up to £200.
All I need is BT and sound quality.
I do have Chord Mojo, so my USB or wired requirements are already met.
I recently returned a Fiio BTR5 because I found the sound quality not good enough!
I have two pairs of mid-range IEM's - one being a q-Jays and the other UE700 , they are very similar two driver balanced Armature design.
I am happy with my earphones, they clearly allow me to tell a Mojo from a BTR5.
I have checked the competition to BTR5 but I don't think ES100 and the like, are much better than Fiio, besides I don't even need USB, DSD etc.
What are my alternatives? Help.
Am I in the right thread, do I need to move to another?

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #529 of 1,312

I don't know which thread you should move to, but what you want is probably out of the scope of this thread.

May 23, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #530 of 1,312
I don't know which thread you should move to, but what you want is probably out of the scope of this thread.
Let's hope somebody out there can surprise us both.
There must be something, M-DAC nano fits the bill, but I don't know how it sounds, opinions are split.

May 23, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #532 of 1,312
Need Help
I recently returned a Fiio BTR5 because I found the sound quality not good enough!
I have two pairs of mid-range IEM's - one being a q-Jays and the other UE700 , they are very similar two driver balanced Armature design.
I have checked the competition to BTR5 but I don't think ES100 and the like, are much better than Fiio, besides I don't even need USB, DSD etc.
I have the intuition the Qudelix 5K will satisfy, but I haven’t heard the BTR5.

May 23, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #533 of 1,312
Need Help
Mojo-Poly?
Since you already have the Mojo and enjoy it, wouldn't the Poly BT add-on be a candidate?
(this assumes that I haven't completely misunderstood the function of the Poly, or your needs, both of which are entirely possible).

EDIT:
Ah, I may have misunderstood after all.
I think the Poly might not use BT, but be a streamer with it's own sd card slot, controlled externally via an app.
Any use to you?

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #534 of 1,312
qdelix is pretty much the same price & size of Fiio BTR5, not to mention uses same chips. Now I am a believer in Fiio, I don't think using same chips and technology and at same price, it would better Fiio by much if any.
Also the Poly was mentioned . it.
does use BT, but it is much more than that.
Also costs much more than £200 😉.
at £600, for an add-on? I don't think so, not that rich.

May 23, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #535 of 1,312
qdelix is pretty much the same price & size of Fiio BTR5, not to mention uses same chips. Now I am a believer in Fiio, I don't think using same chips and technology and at same price, it would better Fiio by much if any.
Fair enough, but I think you'll struggle to find any current product that meets your needs (I.e. beats BTR5 for sound quality yet doesn't cost a lot more), good luck though.

May 23, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #536 of 1,312
Fiio typically has great hardware but their software implementation is not as great. The Q's claim is that they excel on the software side of thing. Obviously, I have not tried the Q, but the ES100 has great software which I utilize all the time.

May 23, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #537 of 1,312
Fair enough, but I think you'll struggle to find any current product that meets your needs (I.e. beats BTR5 for sound quality yet doesn't cost a lot more), good luck though.
Well let's be fair.
Fiio costs £90 , I said £200 for BT only. by default , I don't need USB, multisampling / bit depth or DSD .
I believe I widened the goal posts.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #538 of 1,312
Well let's be fair.
Fiio costs £90 , I said £200 for BT only. by default , I don't need USB, multisampling / bit depth or DSD .
I believe I widened the goal posts.

You are not happy with BTR5's level of performance and demand something better (*as shown by your satisfaction with Mojo) - I own pretty much all the good BT adapters in the market now (as well as Mojo), so it is somewhat obvious to me what you are looking is not going to be found on the BT adapter sector, but more toward to a full-sized DAC/amp with BT support. You should start your own thread to look for a full-sized portable BT DAC/amp, as you are looking in the wrong place for answer where most of us here are fairly happy to balance our demand between SQ and convenience.

May 24, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #540 of 1,312
Beside the headroom reservation mentioned earlier, what other reason/s might one consider when deciding to use EQ? Presumably, presets wouldn’t represent the best end state for every listener.

Can someone point me to any guides for setting EQ to complement ear buds/IEMs?

Using EQ is like using seasoning in cooking - some like their food a little hotter, some like it a little saltier, some like it a little sweeter - it is all about getting it to match your taste, and no one can tell you what your taste is like except for yourself.

Of course, the better way of matching your taste in the first place is with a pair of headphone that is closest to what you prefer, then EQ it for fine-tuning. If you are happy with the headphone's sound as it is, then there is no need for EQ. However, if the headphone doesn't really match your taste in one bit, then EQ won't likely to help much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back