The heavens opened and I heard the stars sing (β22 tales)
Jun 2, 2008 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 186

Asr

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, almost.
tongue.gif
My naamanf-built 4-channel balanced Beta 22 has arrived, and I've listened to it! I connected everything, let it warm up, and oh the sound, it's glorious! My K701 has never sounded this good! The sound, it literally almost brought a tear to my eye!

It's pure shock and awe, big thanks to naamanf for building this rockstar of an amp! The detail is unparalleled over anything I've heard before! And with my trio of digital sources - the dCS P8i, bel canto CD-1, and Plinius CD-101 - I expect many hours of experimentation to follow.
smily_headphones1.gif

Lest this thread become worthless, here are some teaser pics. Internal pics to follow soon.

b22_x1-1.jpg

b22_x2-1.jpg

b22_x3.jpg

cdps08_x1.jpg

Jun 2, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #3 of 186
Wow. I have a Yamamoto HA-02 on the way and i'm excited, but that photo somehow took the smile off my face. I was considering a standard B22 and will probably have one one-day. I'm sure you'll have fun.

Jun 2, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #5 of 186
Whoa! Beautifully finished off cases. Stunning workmanship.

Asr, is that 6x or 4x beta22 board configuration? I assume the sigma 22 are dual supplies. Are you going to use it as preamp as well?

Anyway, congratulations on great amp. This just firmly re-affirmed my decision to build one for myself.
wink.gif

Cheers.

Jun 2, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #7 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does he sell those like that or was that just a one of for you?

The Beta 22 is a DIY project, you can't just buy them.
wink.gif
As I understand it, naamanf is doing a few builds for a few other Head-Fiers who got in on a commission run he advertised last year. Mine's the first one he completed though. The panels (FPE), enclosure, speaker terminals, and balanced & single-ended input/loop-out/pre-amp are standard on his run. I'm pretty sure the only aspect that was customized for me was the gain multiplier (it's 2, specifically for my ATs and Grado HP2).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lad27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa! Beautifully finished off cases. Stunning workmanship.

Asr, is that 6x or 4x beta22 board configuration? I assume the sigma 22 are dual supplies. Are you going to use it as preamp as well?

Anyway, congratulations on great amp. This just firmly re-affirmed my decision to build one for myself.
wink.gif

Cheers.

4-board, it's a 4-channel Beta 22. Yup the Sigma22 is a dual. I don't expect to use this as a pre-amp, I don't own speakers and have no plans to buy a pair.

Jun 2, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #9 of 186
Power cord on the bel canto and Plinius is the Black Sand Silver Reference MKV. The extruded plate on the dCS' back panel prevents me from using my Wattgate/Marinco-terminated power cords so I have to use a computer-grade 18 AWG stock cord on it, for now.

Power cord on the Beta 22 is an LAT International AC-2 MKII.

No power conditioning yet, these are plugged directly into the wall.

Interconnects are Analysis Plus Silver Oval for RCA and XLR, and VH Audio Symmetry for XLR only. Haven't tried the Symmetry yet...

Jun 2, 2008 at 11:02 AM Post #13 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very nice, are you going to review it?

Yes, please do.

Jun 2, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #15 of 186
You promised some inside shots, and I'd really love to see them - - this is really inspirational. (I'm sounding like that old hit by The Vapours: "I asked the doctor / To take your picture / So I can look at you from inside as well...")

The buttons on the front - - are they "headphone amp/preamp" and "balanced/single ended"? (And "power" on the PSU box)... I'd like to see the back panel too. If that doesn't sound too greedy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back