The headset shoot-out
Oct 29, 2008 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

tywelcome

New Head-Fier
I have been browsing around the forums and made a few posts. I have now made a decision to get a headset for gaming and music.

I listen to a various source of music from pink floyd to hip hop with string beats.

I have a list here of mostly wirelss headsets and one wired usb headset.
I was hoping that maybe some readers here have heard or tried some of these.
SQ is important to me over wire management.'

Here they are:
The Beyer MMX2
Gaming & Multimedia Headsets

Plantronics 590a
Newegg.com - PLANTRONICS Pulsar 590A Stereo Bluetooth Headsets - Bluetooth Cell Phone Accessories

Creative HS-1200 usb
Newegg.com - Creative HS-1200 USB Circumaural Digital Wireless Gaming Headset

Am I missing a bang for the buck?

Oct 29, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 15
Just hand me my shotgun!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 15
um how much do you want to spend?

Oh and 2 more recommendations:

1. Forget Wireless
2. Use the search function. I just saw a decent thread about this 8-10 hours ago.

Oct 29, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 15
The DT 770 look nice at amazon...
What does the cord look like? Meaning is it straight or curled over ....

I would like to have some cable management by using a mic and can...
What would the cable management accessory be cabled for tying them ic and can together??

Oct 29, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #7 of 15
seriously, my recommendation is this. If you are playing games online (ie. COD4) where you need voip (voice over internet protocol) buy a really cheap set. Save the money for headphones were you are listening only (music, games, movies) but not talking.

I made this mistake once and ordered the razer barracudas, which are decent for games using voip but are definitely not gonna cut it for music and they are overpriced. I still have them and never use them. If you really want an all-in-one headphone send me a PM and we can work something out. Otherwise go cheap for voip and spend on real phones.

Oct 29, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #8 of 15
does it need to be usb? i'd only consider the beyer on that list. bce22 gives good advice. for the prices you are looking at i would get a jvc harx700 for 35$ for solo playing/listening and a steelsound 4h (the best of the 'gaming' headsets under 100$)for voip playing.

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #10 of 15
tywelcome, i have the sennheiser pc150 (might also be very similar to pc151). to me, the mic quality is really great and the quality headphones for gaming is pretty good/decent for what u pay. i got some hd595's but i still sometimes wrap the pc150's just around my neck if im going to use the mic on it.

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #11 of 15
my.self thnks for the reply..
I just figured if I was to buy something I should spend a little more to get a decent product...
The wireless look like crap SQ wise...
But more wires leave me wrapped up.
I will look at the senn 150 they might be what i am looking for....
The USB interface would be nice since my soundcard is used up by my klipsch IFI....

Oct 30, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #12 of 15
I'm in the same boat as you and today I bought the Amazon.com: Beyerdynamic MMX 2 PC Gaming Multimedia Digital Headset with Microphone: Video Games which also come with USB. I can let you know how they are when they come in and have heard nothing but great things about beyerdynamic. If you are considering going for headphones with a clip on mic I would recommend the AD-700's and the zalman mic. After reading loads of reviews it seems that the HD555's and the AD-700's are by far the best set of cans for $100 with the AD-700's having the slight advantage overall. I have gone the cheap headset route time after time and regret it completely. Had a few $20 walmart headsets which fall apart and have horrible sq as well. Then bought a 65$ 5.2 surround sound offbrand headset which I thought was very much worth the money sq wise however it to completely fell apart and the mic stopped working. Now I have (until my new cans come in) a $40 plantronics set and it is very uncomfortable haver long hours and on it too the mic went out. Maybe some food for thought..

Oct 30, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #13 of 15
A clip on mic will work but if you have a PC using digital out > DAC, using the Zalman Zm1 clip on will not work.

Buy a cheap USB Logitech headset for MP gaming (when you need to talk). Use your can's for music, SP games, movies etc.

Oct 30, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tywelcome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ggNoRe thnks I will look for your beyer post...

Is there a inexpensive Dac or amp that uses usb that i could push the dt 770's?

there are many

you might look at Firestone Audio, Headroom, AudioTechnica (perhaps, not sure how those little ones will handle it), Musical Fidelity, Keces, Beresford (iirc this has a headamp), etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back