The HeadRoom Amp Look
Jan 11, 2009 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

aimlink

Headphoneus Supremus
I'd like to give a heads up to the HeadRoom amp look. After reading a review that spoke a tad negatively about the appearance, I felt the urge to throw in my opinion.

It's a nice discreet look that is a potential signature appearance if stuck to. It takes you away from the usual chrome finish, as well as the bells and whistles of colours and heiroglyphics that adorn, for example, the Firestone products.

I really appreciate the discrete, though pleasant appearance of my MicroAmp.
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #3 of 18
I agree, the only other looks of other amps I actually like are those of tube amps and thats just because of the tubes. Most other solid state amps I find kind of silly looking or too flashy. Headroom amps have a clean, rugged industrial look that I happen to love, not to much, not to little, but just right.
Kevin

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 18
I agree as well. The Micros are fantastically simple in their use of mini plugs.

Jan 15, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #5 of 18
Ditto. I have the slightly older equivalent of the Desktop Ultra with Power Supply, and I enjoy the shape and proportion of the units. I like the matte metal casing and the rounded edges; very pleasurable to the touch and the eyes. To me, the smaller kidney-shaped cases convey a certain unique bespoke authority. I'm proud to have them perched atop my stack.

Jan 15, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #6 of 18
Though I wish that all the input switches were on the front, as I wouldn't want to have to go to the back of my rack to change from analog to digital. But I like the looks and footprint of the micro. Very organic. Don't really like the look of my airhead, but it sounds great.

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Though I wish that all the input switches were on the front, as I wouldn't want to have to go to the back of my rack to change from analog to digital. But I like the looks and footprint of the micro. Very organic. Don't really like the look of my airhead, but it sounds great.

It took me a spell to get accustomed to the small volume control of the Micro, but I'm now very happy with its small size. The switches are of great quality.

Jan 16, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #8 of 18
I've always liked the streamlined look of the Headroom amps.

Jan 16, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #10 of 18
My Maxxed Desktop w/DPS looks perfect sitting on top of my C542. The best part: it sounds even better than it looks!

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #11 of 18
They look kind of industrial grade, robust and suave rather than in-your-face. What's wrong with that?

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #12 of 18
Like the Eames lounge chair they've got a kind of "ugliness" about them that I find somehow very attractive. I own both the Max and the balanced Desktop with psu and the looks still don't bore me
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the current look, but I was a big fan of the old blockhead. THAT was industrial design at it's finest.
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree. That was a great-looking amp, and looked well enough built to double as a car jack. Kinda reminds me of the early Krell amps -- brute power and zero concessions to niceness or LR decor. I'd buy an updated version in a second.

o

Jan 21, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #15 of 18
What I hope they do with their next flagship product is give it a distinct look from all other amps in their line. The original Max was like that. My Home Balanced, however, looks virtually identical to the Max Balanced. Save for a different colored power light and the name on the faceplate they are visually twins. Their next top o' the line amp need not look so different that it appears made from another company, just give it that extra something special to make it stand out. Are you listening out there, Headroom-future-amp-designing-people!? =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back